Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Looking for an alternative to TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for an alternative to TomTom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Looking for an alternative to TomTom Reply with quote

Having being bitterly disappointed with TT5, I've decided to try and pursue a refund and am looking elsewhere other than TomTom. It is quite obvious from both the version 3 and 5 I have bought that they are more than happy to release poor BETA versions of a product to market that actually break some of the stuff working fine in previous versions. Added to that the alleged inaccuracy of Tele maps which has shown in alot of cases to actually be a TomTom problem (version 3 missing towns farce anyone?) and all in all I'm not a happy bunny.

All I want is something with reasonably up to date maps, allows me to tweak speed settings and has a proper working postcode lookup. Not bothered about POIs, POI warnings etc.

Ideas?
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Conor. I was going to suggest you perhaps look at CoPilot5 as an alternative but reading some of the comments on that forum I think they too have a fair amount of very unhappy bunnies!
Might be worth thinking about sticking with TTN3 for the time being - "better the devil you know" and all that! TTN5 clearly has some problems which I would have thought TomTom must make urgent moves to rectify or their credibility will be totally blown away!
I (also a trucker) am going to stick with TTN3 (despite it's imperfections) - it has served me pretty well so far - and will not install TTN5 until it has been sorted.
Other than that I don't really know what to suggest.

Cheers

Tom

IPAQ2210/ROM-1.10/LEXAR 32X 256MB SD/Kingston ElitePro 1GB CF
TTN3-V3.03/Wired GPS-V3.03/Globalsat BT-338
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is probably the safest option.

Going to install Digitools Postcode on TT5 for a laugh to see if it works. Intending on going back to TT3 anyway so it won;t make much of a difference.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digitools postcode won't work on v5 - the API seems to be different.

You can also have a look at PrymeNav - those guys even have "least turn" routing.
If I recall correctly Alturion was also offering some truck specific features.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
paulbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always rather fond of the way CoPilot would text-to-speech the road names, "Turn left onto Smith Square" for example, was nice. Can't be that processor/space intensive, as this was some 3-4 years back. Suspect that there are licensing issues[1] for the TTS engine, though.

Regards
Paul

[1] aka 'additional cost'
Diplo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple fact is that GPS navigation for ordinary folks is still in it's infancy and thus will never be perfect no matter what software you choose. I doubt you'll ever find software that is totally reliable and infallible simply because the raw data can never be 100% accurate. Likewise PDA software will never be 100% reliable either because there are so many combinations of operating system, hardware and GPS receivers that it would be impossible to test them all. The results you get will vary depending on what hardware you have, where abouts you live and many other variables. Good luck finding something that suits you!
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before investing in Pryme Nav, read the following quote from another forum:

"Pryme nav software. Not so good. If I had to rely on this to navigate me I would have been very lost several times now! The place names database is very impressive and is rarely caught out (provided you have enough memory in your PDA, I had to increase mine with a 256Mb card)the navigation is then normally quick to start and get you on your way but will it always get you there? No. On trips within England to both rural and urban locations the unit has on several occasions just given up with "no route to destination" showing on the screeen, especially if you have missed one of the directions . You then need to stop, re-enter your destination and let it start again, with no guarantee that it will get you there without needing another stop.
The software has a definite "Version 1" feel to it but there is no signs yet of an update to version 2, at least for UK users. At best I feel that the software will allow me to head in the right direction! Maybe GP Systems (or Fortuna) would like to comment?"

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diplo wrote:
The simple fact is that GPS navigation for ordinary folks is still in it's infancy and thus will never be perfect no matter what software you choose. I doubt you'll ever find software that is totally reliable and infallible simply because the raw data can never be 100% accurate.

The sad part of all of this is that with the addition of Digitools UKPostcodes database, TomTom 3 was, for me, pretty much perfect. A little tweaking of some of the mor minor road speeds and it routed perfectly.

All I actually wanted was updated maps and if TomTom had released updated maps for the same price that its cost me to Rolling Eyes upgrade Rolling Eyes to TT5, I would have paid for them. Instead I have been FORCED to pay for an alleged upgrade that I didn't want just in order to get more up to date maps.

BAD NEWS.

Tried to reinstall TT3...won't activate so stuck with TT5.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does say your tt3 licence will no longer be valid if you update to tt5 before you complete the update proceedure

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
soweezy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best setup was TTN3 with TTN 4.4 HP edition maps, along with Checkpoint and UKpostcodes add-ons

at least with TTN3 my house was listed as in the correct village, now TTN5 tells me I live in the next village but on the same road (that doesn't exist in the next village)

sooner TT move over to Navteq maps and fix the bugs the better

Garmin Zumo 390LM
Loobster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, TT3 with v4.4 maps and checkpoint is great. I have the USA2004 maps too which are compatible with TT3 so USA routing is good too.

--Loob.
gpsjunkie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
Before investing in Pryme Nav, read the following quote from another forum:

"Pryme nav software. Not so good. If I had to rely on this to navigate me I would have been very lost several times now! The place names database is very impressive and is rarely caught out (provided you have enough memory in your PDA, I had to increase mine with a 256Mb card)the navigation is then normally quick to start and get you on your way but will it always get you there? No. On trips within England to both rural and urban locations the unit has on several occasions just given up with "no route to destination" showing on the screeen, especially if you have missed one of the directions . You then need to stop, re-enter your destination and let it start again, with no guarantee that it will get you there without needing another stop.
The software has a definite "Version 1" feel to it but there is no signs yet of an update to version 2, at least for UK users. At best I feel that the software will allow me to head in the right direction! Maybe GP Systems (or Fortuna) would like to comment?"

Robin

I've just bought PrymeNav and am pretty hacked off with it. I'm still not sure if its version 2 or not. GPS are selling it as V2, but the software version number is V1.1.0 which IIRC is the old version (think the upgrade changed the numbering system to 1.0.2025 onwards). The 2D view isn't too bad, but the 3D view is simply awful. There seems to be a major 'clipping' issue which results in roads stopping in mid air. Most GPS applications show roads fading off to the horizon....not so with PrymeNav. Also, there is nothing like enough adjustment in the display settings to make it even remotely useable.

I've sent GPS an e-mail asking some probing questions. If they are selling this as V2 and it's actually V1.....well....let just say I won't be very happy.

Looks like I'm going to have to find some new software.... Crying or Very sad
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im looking into alturion at the mo (note to self must email) Laughing will post what its for us Laughing

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
v0n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest option I found is Navigon Mobile Navigator 5. A friend of mine use it and many problems are actually resolved better than in TT5. It has newer maps, can be customised to omit small country roads, less problematic outlook contacts integration, TMC (FM based) automatic traffic alternatives, gps logger etc. Display of roads is still slightly cruder than TT5 in many aspects but the only major gripe I noticed was horribly slow menus (apparently to be fixed in the future) and the fact that when we put his PDA in my Navman 3450 jacket Navigon it just refused to find any satellites even with all the drivers properly installed.

v0n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest option I found is Navigon Mobile Navigator 5. A friend of mine use it and many problems are actually resolved better than in TT5. It has newer maps, can be customised to omit small country roads, less problematic outlook contacts integration, TMC (FM based) automatic traffic alternatives, gps logger etc. Display of roads is still slightly cruder than TT5 in many aspects but the only major gripe I noticed was horribly slow menus (apparently to be fixed in the future) and the fact that when we put his PDA in my Navman 3450 jacket Navigon it just refused to find any satellites even with all the drivers properly installed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: