Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - DO NOT BUY TOMTOM 5.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

DO NOT BUY TOMTOM 5.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: DO NOT BUY TOMTOM 5. Reply with quote

So there I was on Tuesday. TomTom 5 had just arrived and I instantly went to put it on my PDA. Installed TT5 OK then went to install the maps. 30 minutes of transferring GB_PLUS and I got "Cannot Read Disk" error. OK, tried again, same error different point. Got so fed up in the end I went and bought a memory card reader, installed to directory on PC and copied across.

BEING USED AS BETA TESTERS. THEY CAN'T EVEN GET THE INSTALLER RIGHT.

OK, so we're up and running. Had a play around, happy with what I saw, apart from being able to customise speeds. Lets try the 7 digit postcode search. So off I go, pop in 7 digit postcode and...IT DOESN'T BLOODY WORK! OK, maybe I installed the wrong map so I install the normal GB one..still no go. Hunts around online and eventually find I have to manually add an empty folder called TOMTOM. WHAT THE HELL? THIS IS A BUG THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN FOUND IN BETA TESTING!!!! 8O 8O 8O

WHAT THE HELL HAS HAPPENED TO THE ROUTE PLANNING? (1)

So yesterday I finally got to use it in anger on a four drop run from Hull. First drop in Ince at Jewsons it finds no problem. Second drop, far side of Wigan on Victoria St at Jewsons. All I have to do is head into Wigan, round Wigan Pier then out on the A587 and turn right. . OH DEAR. Wants to route me through town centre. I can't go through there so I go round the inner ring road. It reroutes me sending me off on a right wild goose chase. Eventually join the A587 heading back into Wigan. Can't turn left up Victoria St because it is too tight. Continue on. Now I've got a BIG roundabout in front of me. What does TT5 do? Wants to route me on a ONE AND A HALF MILE ROUND TRIP. 8O 8O 8O Halfway round the roundabout it finally figures out that yes, it can route me the way I intended to go.

NOW ONTO THE COMPLETELY USELESS 7 DIGIT POSTCODE LOOKUP.

Why useless? Because it actually isn't a true 7 digit lookup. Read on...

Onto the third drop at Jewsons, Lyons Lane in Chorley. Pops in postcode and away I go. Wants to route me through Wigan town centre AGAIN but I ignore it using the faster inner ring road. Gets to Lyons lane in Chorley, no sign of Jewsons. Goes up and down it, still no sign. Pops into electrical supplies and it turns out I'm not on Lyons Lane but Lyons Lane South with Lyons Lane being 1/4 mile further up the road off a right turn at a roudabout on the main dualcarriageway through Chorley. If you look at this link http://tinyurl.com/866yn where TT5 said I wanted to be was the south most DC stretch of the A6. The postcode actually is on the B6228 - Lyons Lane. I fired up TT3 at this point, stuck in the Postcode on the ukpostcodes addon and it showed it on the map smack outside Jewsons on the B6228, Lyons Lane.

WHAT THE HELL HAS HAPPENED TO THE ROUTE PLANNING? (2)

So, onto my final drop at Jewsons, Preston down Raglan St. Pops in the address and it works out the route. Now bear in mind I'm 50 yards away from a dual carriageway which runs right through Chorley to the M61. Where does it send me? Across the roundabout, instead of turning right onto the A6, and down a pokey B road that runs parallel. 8O 8O 8O

WHERES MY ROAD GONE?

So, running a little tight on time, I stick in the name of the road my depot is on to get a rough idea of journeytime. Except I can't. Somewhere inbetween TomTom3 and TomTom 5, Littlefair Road in Hull has ceased to exist. It is on the map because it routed me out of it at the start of the day. Oh dear.

Summary

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON? I can't believe the installer bug for a start. I have to trust this software yet I can't trust its route planning and before you start, its nothing to do with the fact I'm in a lorry...this thing just plainl y DOES NOT WORK. God help you if you miss a turn...it'll reroute you round the north pole! THE SEVEN DIGIT POSTCODE LOOKUP IS A LIE. It is NOT seven digits. If it were, it'd have placed me in the right spot. I think at best it's 5 or 6. As long as it gets a road name, that appears to be enough.

Good points:
Like the built in POI warning. Like being able to still add TT3 compatible POIs. Like the updating over the internet. Like the display showing street names on the map.

Bad points:
    IT CANNOT PLAN ROUTES
    YOU CANNOT ALTER THE SPEEDS
    THE SPEEDS FOR THE TYPES OF ROADS ARE SO OUT THAT IT SENDS YOU DOWN POKEY LOCAL ROADS INSTEAD OF THE LARGE DUAL CARRIAGEWAY.
    THE SEVEN DIGIT POSTCODE IS A LIE. It doesn't work as the Digitools one does, i.e PROPERLY.

DO NOT BUY TOMTOM5. IT IS AT BEST BETA. IT DOES NOT DO WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN. STICK WITH TT3 OR GET SOMETHING ELSE
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtomt 5 installed first time for me no problem ,actually works like a dream for me , as for the maps and postcode that isn't down to tomtom it's other factors involved ,AND i actually prefer this setup it actually takes me on the right routes as you have the choice of what route to take .been using it since it came out and have had no problem what so ever
and if i do have a problem it is not being able to set the speed limit ,but thats ok I'LL GET USED TO IT
keep up the good work tomtom
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRust me, you don;t have a choice...it merely tweaks the arrival times.
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is brilliant no problems at all,good work TomTom :D
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
Lancaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy-c1 wrote:
tomtomt 5 installed first time for me no problem ,actually works like a dream for me , as for the maps and postcode that isn't down to tomtom it's other factors involved ,AND i actually prefer this setup it actually takes me on the right routes as you have the choice of what route to take .been using it since it came out and have had no problem what so ever
and if i do have a problem it is not being able to set the speed limit ,but thats ok I'LL GET USED TO IT
keep up the good work tomtom

You do not understand the postcode problem do you? It is a bug in the software, and is not down to "Other factors involved."
Just because Tomtom sub contract the maps out does not absolve them of responsibility.
When we buy a licence from Tomtom, our contract is with them, not any third party, and they have a duty of care to ensure that what they are selling is fit for purpose.
A programme which relies heavily on accurate maps, must have a very high level of accuracy. It should also run all devices specified. Currently, it is unusable in any reliable way for VGA devices such as the Axim X50v.

"Keep up the good work tomtom." You must know that this comment is more likely to antagonise people who have a justifiable complaint than to be seen and welcomed by the "Tomtom Team." Very immature.

Martin
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lancaster wrote:

"Keep up the good work tomtom." You must know that this comment is more likely to antagonise people who have a justifiable complaint than to be seen and welcomed by the "Tomtom Team." Very immature.

Martin

To me it just gives the impression that they hardly go anywhere (thus have no idea of whether it is or not giving a good route) or because it manages to get them from home to work down a route they use, it's deemed a success.

The idea of a 7 digit postcode is that it takes you to within a very small area on the road you want, mainly to be used in the middle of nowhere or on very long roads. The idea is NOT that it merely puts you on the right road. Some roads in some areas are dozens of miles long. A few in the Leeds area instantly spring to mind...one running all the way from the centre of Leeds to Huddersfield. The way the postcode lookup is working at the moment, it's pot luck as to where it places the destination on that road.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the 7 digit postcode extensively, and it has always been spot on. It has been as accurate as the UK postcode add-on which I used with TT3
That's not to deny your experience, but it's not universal
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have used the 7 digit postcode extensively, and it has always been spot on.

The 7 digit postcode facility in TTN5 specifies a point on the map from which TomTom determines the nearest road. If you are lucky you will get the correct road. If you do get the correct road then you will be presented with a choice of ALL of the numbers in that road.

This is definitely NOT how the postcode system should work. A postcode defines a specific road which may, or may not, be split into sections, each having it's own unique postcode and associated range of house numbers. In some cases the postcode specifies a single building only.

This effort by TomTom is an approximation at best and a complete kludge at worst.

For a delivery driver it will be a complete nightmare.

Roger
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet wrote:
The 7 digit postcode facility in TTN5 specifies a point on the map from which TomTom determines the nearest road. If you are lucky you will get the correct road. If you do get the correct road then you will be presented with a choice of ALL of the numbers in that road.

Problems arise when there are no numbers, only house names.

The numbers give a nearer approximation within a Postcode. If you have to chose Anywhere when selecting a Postcode it could well be 3-400 yards out, especially in rural areas.

The difficulty is that it deals with 2 sets of data. The map data, which could be out by several yards, but which will by the nature of the design locks the true position to a nearby road. The Postcode data, which originally was compiled by Postal Round, and has then been compiled by OS, who chose a theoretical centre position for each one, which once again could be inaccurate.

Two sets of possible inaccuracies could lead to a larger error, although the accuracy is correct over 99% of the time.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conor wrote:
Lancaster wrote:

Martin

To me it just gives the impression that they hardly go anywhere (thus have no idea of whether it is or not giving a good route) or because it manages to get them from home to work down a route they use, it's deemed a success.

T.
well i don't think i am imature , i installed it it has worked correctly since i bought it , if i find that the product works well ,why can't i say well done ,...

and as for using it it i have been using it it 6 days a week 9 hours a day ,i mainly use postcode ,and it has taken me to my destination correctly every time ,that includes london , and i still say it is a good product , the only gripe i have is i can't use traffic BUT that is down to o2 not tomtom
Lancaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy-c1 wrote:
Conor wrote:
Lancaster wrote:

Martin

T.
well i don't think i am imature , i installed it it has worked correctly since i bought it , if i find that the product works well ,why can't i say well done ,...

Because you must be aware from all these threads that a very large number of users of the latest VGA devices are having major problems due to Tomtom's cock ups. That's why.

Martin
andyjenkins
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy-c1 wrote:
the only gripe i have is i can't use traffic BUT that is down to o2 not tomtom

OT I know (and appologies), but care to expand on that bit? Presumably this is a user specific problem, rather than something your eluding too that is global?
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Two sets of possible inaccuracies could lead to a larger error, although the accuracy is correct over 99% of the time.

I have just opened up the local copy of yellow pages and picked 20 addresses with postcodes at random.

Then looked them up with TTN5. Results - 5 incorrect roads out of 20 - that's only a 75% success rate.

To be sure I cross-checked with the Royal Mail website which gave 20 correct out of 20.

The postcode facility is a nice selling point but don't depend on it!!!

Roger
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="linknet"]
Quote:
To be sure I cross-checked with the Royal Mail website which gave 20 correct out of 20.

The Royal Mail will always give 100% accuracy because that is where the Postcode relates to an address. The PAF is a hell of a big database.

Try the same thing with Streetmap, Multimap, etc and see how it compares with TT5. This is where the Postcode relates to a co-ordinate.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Royal Mail will always give 100% accuracy because that is where the Postcode relates to an address. The PAF is a hell of a big database.

From TomTom 5 advertising:
Quote:
Postcode navigation for simple and accurate selection of your destination.

Dictionary definition of "Acccurate":
Quote:
Absolutely correct; making no mistakes.

I think some liberties have been taken with the advertising then!!!

Roger

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: