Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio 168, TomTom 5 and GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio 168, TomTom 5 and GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burroughs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Mio 168, TomTom 5 and GPS Reply with quote

Hi to everyone!
I've recently upgraded TomTom Navigator from version 3 to 5 on my PDA, a Mitac Mio 168, but now I don't know how to setup the GPS connection.
I remember that, with the old version of the software (#3), the connection worked by specifying a serial port, the number of which I don't recall though, and something like "SP2".
Is there anyone who can help me about that?
Thanks in advance,

Burroughs.
Phil-w
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Try setting the GPS for tomtom and then you don't have to bother with any other settings, failing that you can set it to NMEA 4800 sp2, both work ok on my MIO 168 with TTN5.

Phil
hookiestreet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: mitac mio 168 and ttn5 Reply with quote

hi just a quickie. ive also got a mitac mio 168 and wish to know if ts worth upgrading to version 5. any problems with the installation and if so what can u recommend to overlook them.

Matt Grimsley
Tom Tom Navigator 6
PDAir Aluminium Case
Medion MD PPC 150 Desktop Cradle
Burroughs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've upgraded to TTN5 just three days ago and even though I've not tested the GPS connection yet, it seems like this new version is faster than the other one and easier to use.
The only problem I noticed was about the installation of the maps, but I solved by installing the maps themselves through a card reader.
Everything worked fine after that.
Considering the price of the upgrade (68 €), I think you can spend this money.

Burroughs.
LeighB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I have a Mio 168. Upgrade to v5 ran smoothly, but it is worth reading this forum concerning the postcode lookup, camera database and voices for the speed camera warnings..
It is very smooth in use, again read the posts about hiding POIs if it seems jerky.
I have not yet run across any new map errors, but have not gone very far with it yet.
It does still have 2 odd voice instructions which were there with v3.
At one location she tells you to take the 2nd Left when there is only one left turn possible!
I would go for the installation, but if you live near Bristol maybe think about it Wink

Mio168 Kingston 256SD
TomTomNavigator3 3.07
TomTom Navigator 5
Memory Map 2004 OS 4.4
Checkpoint 2.02
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mio 168, TomTom 5 and GPS Reply with quote

Burroughs wrote:
Hi to everyone!
I've recently upgraded TomTom Navigator from version 3 to 5 on my PDA, a Mitac Mio 168, but now I don't know how to setup the GPS connection.
I remember that, with the old version of the software (#3), the connection worked by specifying a serial port, the number of which I don't recall though, and something like "SP2".
Is there anyone who can help me about that?
Thanks in advance,

Burroughs.

Hi,

Goto Mune - Change Preferences - 4 of 6 - Show GPS Status - Configure - Select Tomtom Cable GPS.
mr_stu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,

i have Mitac Mio168, i had TOm Tom 3 and upgraded to Tom TOm 5.
I installed a load of POI's from this web site, and also the speed cam databases as well, set the auti warnings inside Tom Tom 5, set about 10 favoute's in my favoutes list, and like i said about 27 POI's from this web site like Mcdonalds and Holiday Inns etc, and well, after i turn of Tom Tom 5, when i re load it, all my favourtes have GONE, the HOME is gone, and the audio warnings for the speed cams have gone. The POI's are still in the software etc, but my favourtes have gone and audio warning settings forgtten.

Anyone else having same problem or know how to fix this?
I hear that Tom Tom 5 only lets you have up to 40 catgories of POI's but i don't think i have 40. Like i said about 27 including the Speed Cams. and maybe 10 favourtes.

Any Ideas?

Stu

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: