Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Too Many POI files?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Too Many POI files?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueBlood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Too Many POI files? Reply with quote

Has anybody seen the following error?

I tested this on TTN2 V2.05 on Benelux maps. When I have 71 POI files, (71 BMP and 71 OV2), in my map directory and I start TTN2: on startup I get an error message 'Too many POI files: loading aborted' TTN2 then loads and runs as normal. When I randomly reduce my POI files to 69, (69 BMP and 69 OV2) I no longer get the error message.

I thought the number of POI files was only limited by the amount of storage space available.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Too Many POI files? Reply with quote

By coincidence I have just read about the existence of this warning message for the first time. In the course of downloading TTN version 2.05 from the TomTom website I read their descriptions of the modifications in versions 2.02 and 2.05. Amongst the changes in version 2.02 they mentioned that they had incorporated this warning message.

I have never seen the warning message myself. I have experienced many "Fatal exception" errors when TTN has refused to load at all. These have always seemed to result from attempts to load too many POIs in the sense that they occur after I have introduced a new POI file and go away if I remove one or two POI files. I don't have anything like 71 POI files, but the files I do have tend to be quite large. Some of them contain thousands of POIs and I like to include a reasonable amount of narrative information if I can. One of the files is about 160kb in size.

I have mentioned this problem in a different thread and Darren replied to the effect that TomTom are working on the problem, which is good to know. In the meantime it would avoid a considerable amount of frustration to know exactly what the current limitations are. Is there a maximum number of POI files and/or a maximum number of POIs and/or a maximum total POI file size? Also it would be helpful to know what limits, if any, will still apply after TomTom have made their planned changes. It would be nice to think that the only limitation would be the memory capacity of the Pocket PC, but if there are still going to be other limitations this could affect the way we develop POI sets.

Do TomTom support staff read and respond to this forum, or should I submit the same questions in an e-mail to them?

Hugh
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by BlueBlood on 28 May 2003

Has anybody seen the following error?

When I have 71 POI files, (71 BMP and 71 OV2).......I thought the number of POI files was only limited by the amount of storage space available.

No TomTom states "On request by the growing Points-of-Interest community, more POI databases can now be "plugged in". Furthermore, an explicit warning is given if there are too many plugged-in POI databases."

I would say that TomTom probably deem around the 70 mark as being the top limit and bring up the error message if you exceed this.

Hugh, TomTom do frequently read the forums here as I speak to various people at TomTom, I don't expect they read every single message, and probably not everyone at TomTom visits the forums. TomTom don't reply to messages here, they prefer to make sure they fullfill the requests that come in through their own support channels. Most companies also don't like posting messages in forums as they have no control over the forums if a slanging match starts up, so most ocmpanies will use rogue names and just watch the forums to see what customers think and what problems they are experiencing.
stuartm
Lifetime Member

Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 28 May 2003

TomTom don't reply to messages here

Let's face it, it's damned that they reply to any form of communication.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: