Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ****** Problems TT5 What can we do *******
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

****** Problems TT5 What can we do *******
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nazimyounis
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: ****** Problems TT5 What can we do ******* Reply with quote

With all these major issues with TT5 does PocketGPS have any influence to pursue TOMTOM to sort this out? I am one of the many disappointed users on the new TT5.

What can we do as a forum to push TT5 to sort this out !!!!

Regards

Nazim
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in contact with TomTom and they are aware of the issue experienced with some hardware and GPS combinations. Rest assured they are working to resolve them.

TomTom representatives will be attending our GPS Meet this coming weekend and we'll be quizzing them for an update.
nazimyounis
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren,

Could we possibly get a date out of them when they attend the meeting as when they will be releasing the major update.

Once again many thanks for the reply.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nazimyounis wrote:
Thanks Darren,

Could we possibly get a date out of them when they attend the meeting as when they will be releasing the major update.

Once again many thanks for the reply.

I'll ask the question and keep you posted Smile
BadTasteUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
TomTom representatives will be attending our GPS Meet this coming weekend and we'll be quizzing them for an update.

They are going to get absolutely mullered, I almost feel sorry for them. The only way they're going to calm people down is to have a realistic and believable date for the fixes. Rolling Eyes
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadTasteUK wrote:
They are going to get absolutely mullered, I almost feel sorry for them. The only way they're going to calm people down is to have a realistic and believable date for the fixes. Rolling Eyes

I certainly hope not! These are 'representatives' who have in some cases given up their own free time to attend. I'm sure anyone with a complaint can voice it without being aggresive or rude.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear hear! I'm looking forward to meeting them to tell them what I like about TT5, but also to enlist their aid in getting the message back to the development team about areas where inprovement is needed. We need them as allies, not as punchbags
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
clausr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Darren.

I appreciate that you and the team will discuss these issues with TomTom representatives next week.

Apart from the fact that TT have launched a very buggy product I also would like to comment on their customer support.

If you go on the TT website there are no mentioning that they recognize the problem with the IPAQ 4700 freezing and no indications of whether they are working on a fix or not. TT are just playing the game of "roaring silence". This is not a proper way to treat customers.

And when you post a problem to their support you often just get a standard reply back indicating that they have not even read your question properly. I can provide a concrete example, since I had problems getting my Holux GPS236slim to communicate with TT5. TomTom just suggested the standard answer "try other cable GPS ..." which I had already told them did not work. Finally I found the solution myself after a week of investigation. I did submit my answer to their support as stated below and suggested that they included this info in their FAQ on the web, since other users may encounter the problem. Today - a week later still no hint from TT's web on how to solve this problem. They are certainly not very communicative.

TomTom can't survive if they launch so buggy products and if they don't get their act together on delivering a professional and PROactive support.

I have been a loyal TT customer for several years but are now very disappointed.

rgds
Claus
clausr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again.

Sorry - forgot to attach my latest response to TomTom on the HoluxGPS236 problem that I had.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer 23/06/2005 09.52 AM
Hello.

Your suggestion does not work.

Actually I have now found the solution to the problem myself. Perhaps you should include this into your FAQ.

Using "other cable GPS" and eg. 4800 baud does not generate a connection.

The reason is that my Holux GPS236Slim was last configured to use the SIRF protocol when I used TT3. Then I installed TT5 and it could not connect. Apperently TT5 are not cable to switch from Sirf to NMEA as TT3 was.

The solution I then used was to download the program GPSTweak that can force the GPS back into NMEA. And now it works fine, I am using "other bluetooth GPS" on com8.

I am though surprised that TT support have not been able to figure out that this could be the problem. As mentioned I suggest that you post this as a hint on your website. And even better enhanche TT5 to be able to switch between NMEA and Sirf protocol as TT3 was capable of doing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Darren

if there is a meeting this weekend would it be possible to ask them the issues surrounding the xda2i not being able update traffic at all ....and phone issues as tomtom5 crashes everytime if the phone is on ,otherwise if phone is off ie flight mode i have yet to have a crash ,and am very happy with the product
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add all these to the list, certainly what is almost a great product is marred by shoddy CS and poor communication, I know they are aware of this but more important is what they are doing to resolve it.
Glen007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that just because TomTom are sponsoring the event that Pocket GPS does not go easy on them Wink

This product has caused way to many problems for people!
COMPACT FLASH VIKING INTERWORKS 512MB
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Independent opinion is our stated aim and one we will always maintain Smile
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that, teething problems aside, thus product is a whole lot better than previous incarnations, of which I've had many going back to the Psion days...

TTN3 was the worst of a progressively deteriorating user interface that just seemed to be bolting on extra utilities without any attention towards usability and intuitiveness. Sure, the latest release still has its oddities (postcode search on page two and not merged in with address search as I'd have expected), but it is a major leap forward in design and it's put it back at the top in my book.

Anyone remember the initial problems when TTN2 came out? There was uproar because it had many bad bugs in it. They were fixed quickly. Sure, this is nowhere near ideal, but then writing a piece of software for a platform with so many different hardware configurations running three, maybe four operating systems is by no means a walk in the park.

Sure, I'm annoyed that their five day delivery quote took three weeks, but I'm expecting that their customer support department is going to be saturated with hundreds of teething issues citing this platform, that model, and remember - this isn't microsoft we're dealing with here.

I was appalled that they sold three as an upgrade, but this version is going to be so much better. :D
jbegg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I personally have had no real problems with the maps of TTN versions 4 and 5 (aside from the odd missed roundabout), there has been a lot of dissatisfaction vented regarding this issue on the various forums. So my plea is for this to be brought up with TomTom so they can hopefully understand that it is not for the customer to have to keep making them aware of map errors all of the time (a little is to be expected). The onus is on the map provider (Teleatlas) to ensure that their product does not contain large unacceptable errors of the type mentioned in the forums (city centre roundabout detail in Bristol for example). TomTom has a duty to its customers not to accept this from Teleatlas and as a consequence put pressure on them to do their own beta testing before releasing their product. Just because they rely on third parties to provide their map data, this does not absolve them from making sure the data is accurate. The product is still theirs. It appears that Navteq relies less on third parties to provide them with data and do a lot of the surveying for themselves. Teleatlas could take a leaf out of their book.

Aside from this, I believe TomTom have tried to provide us with a good product and are to be applauded for this. They will sort out the teething problems with this upgrade in the short term. But the mapping accuracy appears to be another story.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: