Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TTN2 owner, but.........
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TTN2 owner, but.........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreamtime
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: New TTN2 owner, but......... Reply with quote

Just installed my New TTN 2 into my newish Jornada 568, and loaded all GB maps to a 512 mb cf card.

GPS I use is my trusty Garmin GPS V with latest maps ( like TTN2) and software upgrade.

So, is TTN2 good. In a word, NO.

My first couple of trips, locally, really impressed me with the 3d mapping, pretty colours and pleasant voice. So, armed with Jornada, TTN2 and GPS V , we set off from North Kent to Seaford in Sussex ( about 75 miles, but no direct route )

I`d already put my destination address int TTN2, so looked in favourites, selected the address, navigate to, and waited till the route was generated.

Calculating route froze, so a soft reset and we were off. Brilliant, I thought, but then a little worry entered my head, are we going the shortest or quickest route? No way to tell, and no options! Oh well, see what happens. GPS V in reserve, and I knew the route anyway.

After 10 miles, the expected turn didnt happen. This thing wanted to send me onto the M25 at 9 am on a Bank Holiday weekend. So, I took the necessary turn, and thats when TTN2 really started to annoy me.

5 Miles down the road, and that incessant irritating voice is telling me to turn around, turn left, turn right, anything to get me back on the M25.

So, black mark #1 to TTN2. Its recalculation route was trying to put me back on the same road, for miles. It even went along with me for another 5 miles, then sneakily tried to take me back on ITS intended route again.

My GPS V will totally recalculate a new route from where I am when I take a wrong turn to get me to my destination.

Why cant TTN2 do this?

So, started a new route from where I was, to my destination. Calculation screen didnt freeze, and I got my new route. BUT it still wanted to make me do a U turn back the way I came. Tried another route, screen froze at the calculating page, again. Soft reset again.

20 Miles further on away from the m25, near to Hastings, and tried to enter the destination again and told it to navigate me to Seaford.

Black mark #2 happened a few times. It just does not do new roads and short cuts that my GPS V can find with ease.

After a few more attempts, I gave up with it, set a route on my GPS V, and within seconds, route was displayed and off I was.

On the return journey, I ignored TTN2, selected HOME, shortest distance, and set off knowing I could trust Garmin to lead my home, which it did, perfectly, totally accross country, no major towns at all, and got home 20 minutes quicker than going.

So, why is TTN2 so reluctant to send you by the shortest route? I found you can set To and From routes and select shortest, but it doesnt like it does it?.

So all in all, not at all impressed with TTN2. Ok for trips less than a few miles, but it really is completely out of its depth on anything longer.

It may have voice guided directions, sexy 3d mapping, pretty colours and .....well, thats it really.

Garmin GPS V? simple black on green display. Turn by turn directions with audible warning. Correct route, and confidence inspiring.

Garmin? the Dogs B******s

TTN2? Just B*****s

allan, but then, thats just my opinion

hollis_f
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: New TTN2 owner, but......... Reply with quote

You obviously had it set to calculate the quickest route. What you should have done was gone to the 'alternate routes' option and told it to avoid the M25.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

I like the GPS V but you really haven't given yourself enough time with TTNav to appreciate how good it is. If you don't want to use the M25 then you can set an 'Avoid M25' once you have calculated the route. If you stray off track then TTNav will by default tru to get you back on the origin al route, if you don't want this pull up the quick access menu and recalculate route.
dreamtime
Occasional Visitor

Ok, so your probably right, I didnt give it enough time, but I am used to the Garmin unit, that takes seconds to set up the ideal route, without having to tell it to avoid lists of roads.

I`ll give it another go ( cost me over £100 so I will have to. )

Is there a way of setting the thing to calculate quickest or shortest using the favourites menu, I dont really want to spend 10 minutes setting it up ( when it doesnt freeze on me) I may do 6 or 7 journeys a day. I really would like to save these destinations as favourites, then just select them with as few keypresses as possible with the options I want.

My Garmin unit can do this, and I would like TTN2 to be as easy to set up, but I cant see this sort of option in the limited instructions.

Thanks, allan
hollis_f
Regular Visitor

You can set Navigator to calculate the shortest route - but it isn't really worth it most of the time. Not unless you like driving along tiny country lanes.

When I'm going to visit several places in the day I spend 10 minutes before I leave setting up. I use the 'Find Place' option to get the destination on the map screen then add that as a Point of Interest. (I use POIs instead of favourites as they survive things like upgrades. I have a special category set up just for these destinations.) Then all I need do from the navigator screen is tap it once, tap 'Navigate To', Tap 'Points of Interest', tap my category (which I've set to be at the top) and select the destination. That takes just a few seconds.
Boxbrownie
Lifetime Member

Hi,

How do you set navigator to calculate the shortest route?

all I can see is the option for alternate route!

Best regards David
dreamtime
Occasional Visitor

Hollis f thanks, I might try that. The reason I select shortest route is that most of the roads round here are country lanes and b roads. If I select quickest, it invarioubly sends me via the M25 or M20 or M2. I suppose I could set an option not to use these but sometimes even the shortest route takes in a couple of junctions of motorway.

We are not very lucky here for roads across country. A roads take you thru resort towns and they get very busy in the summer months, so setting options to avoid these is not practical.

Shortest route works fine for me and the Garmin, I would just like the TTN 2 software to be as intuitive!

Oh well, perseverance, I hope, should yield the right results.

allan
Boxbrownie
Lifetime Member

Hi Hollis f, but where is the "find place" option?

Have still to find that command, one of my wishes for the nest TT would be the ability to plan a route via roads I have picked.

Best regards David
TonyP
Regular Visitor

I think the best thing about TTN is its ability to recalculate routes quickly on the fly.

That means if you know a good way to get started on a trip, you just drive it, but when you start needing directions TTN is there with a route from wherever you happen to be.

TTN helps me explore much more, trying out alternative routes and short cuts around traffic. It will never plan these short cuts itself, but it will get you back on track when you try them out for yourself.
dreamtime
Occasional Visitor

TonyP, I think thats the one thing that bugs me the most about TTN, the way that it insists you get back onto the route it has picked.

But, I can see your point, if you get it wrong, it will lead you gently back to where you were supposed to be.

It would be nice though, to see an auto route recalculation, that will keep finding the best route, however many wrong turns you make, without any user input.

allan
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

dreamtime,

TTN does actually recalculate automatically, but it will always recalculate the quickest route (not the shortest route even if that was what was selected initially. This is a known bug).

"Quickest" route is very much dependant on the street speeds that TTN knows. You may want to adjust them to your personal experience, and then TTN may actually start to propose routes outside of motorways.

For the time being you will have to use the (extensive) features in the Alternatives section - either by blindly demanding an alternative route or by explicitly blocking some of the major roads that TTN had included in the calculation.

Lutz

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Fuego
Regular Visitor

hehe, that's for sure, the M25 in rush hour certainly needs to use a different value for road speed, than the default. ;)

What we need is several road speed profiles that we can switch in and out, or a feature that allows us to specify when rush hours are, and then adjusts all speeds by a percentage factor for each type.

So, we'd have at 0730 to 0930 hours (say) Motorway speed = 10% of it's normal value, and "A" Roads 50%

That's the UK for you, and we pay more and more taxes for the privilege Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: