Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best Garmin?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Garmin?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Best Garmin? Reply with quote

Possibly to replace my current setup. Use a Sat Nav 2-3 times a week. Just want a plug and go but not too expensive 330 etc Views ?

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Quest after a negative experience with another satnav product. I like the small size, bright colour screen (somehow it mananges to work well in sunlight and with the back light off), long battery life and the fact that it's waterproof so I can use it on my bike. I have a few niggles with it but nothing too serious. My wife is a fairly newish driver (and not a technogeek) and she uses it quite happily.

I liked the look of the C330, but I liked the idea of a pocket sized unit and it wasn't waterproof which put me off.

I use the Quest about once a week at the moment, it's OK for my needs. If you were doing some serious miles then you might want something bigger.

If you are in London then the shops up Tottenham Court road have all the units on display so you can have a poke at them. GPS Warehouse also has a showroom near Heathrow with all manner of Sat Nav stuff. Last time I went there they seemed to have one of everything.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Skip. I know you made a change from our beloved CP5. Althogh I use CP5 with out the problems you were having I realised that I should have got a dedicated incar solution. I really don't need a PDA at all. I guess the main question is if the routing program is as good as you can expect. Not perfect but a genuine get in your car and go type program ?

Colour is nice, small is nice, I think the 330 etc is a bit expensive but I suppose compared witha complete PDA setup its not too bad.. and I could sell my 2210, Clip-on BT and CP5.

Ability to PC plan would be ideal but is the routing is acceptable to most trips then I wouldn't care too much.

Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topgazza wrote:
I should have got a dedicated incar solution. I really don't need a PDA at all. I guess the main question is if the routing program is as good as you can expect. Not perfect but a genuine get in your car and go type program ?

Pretty much, yes. Like I said, my Wife borrows it from time to time and gets on with it fairly well. Wink

You also don't get nonsense like the BT GPS unit failing bond with the PDA, out of memory errors, soft resets, batteries running flat and such like. These problems might be rare, but try explaining that one to someone who hasn't been driving very long, has two screaming kids in the back and is now lost. Crying or Very sad

But you don't get Speed Camera POI alerts, live tracking or traffic reports either. It does what it does well, but that's all!

I guess the 320/330 series are a direct stab at the TTG market. Not sure how the price compares. I would be inclined to get the one with the removable memory cards rather than the 330 which (I think) has a 2.2 Gig hard disk. I don't mind preloading the maps if I am traveling outside the UK.

Quote:
Ability to PC plan would be ideal but is the routing is acceptable to most trips then I wouldn't care too much.

Garmin have been doing this stuff for years and the routing is generally high quality. The times it chooses what I think is an odd route, I download the tracklog to my PC and (the lack of "local knowledge" in the GPS aside) it generally turns out that it was actually the fastest route after all. It has supprised me on a few routes that I thought I knew well too. 80

I do sometimes plan a route on the PC, but usually because I want to take the scenic route rather than the Quickest route.

The only time it gives bizzare routes is when you don't have the maps loaded for the complete area you are routing through.

Garmins do have their niggles and any sat nav system will take time to get used to, but I quite like them.

Good luck!
rossb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topgazza, I would say, get a Garmin C320. It has the benefit of a bigger 3.5" screen, with 3d Navteq maps and excellent sound.

The Quest looks a good unit for people wanting something that can be used outside the car. It has the benefit of PC based route planning. Its weakness is its smaller screen, 2D maps and fixed memory(the 320 uses SD cards).

I would say if you want in car use only, get a 320.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks rossb thats the way I am thinking. I'll put my 2210 and, excellant, clipon BT on ebay or even here first. Ditto for CP5 which at the right price and knowing the issues is still a pretty good sat nav....at the right price....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: