Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Trading Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Trading Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mazza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Trading Maps Reply with quote

Now, I don't know if this already goes on, or indeed the legality of it, though I can't think of any law against it, but what if we could have a forum for buying and selling our unwanted maps...

Queue scenario...Fred went on holiday last week to EuroDisney, or whatever they'r calling it now, and goes by car. He purchases the maps of France to help him reach his destination. When Fred returns next week he realises that he will never be able to afford to go to Brighton again, never mind EuroWotsItCalled, and France is now but a dream.

326 miles away Bob is looking forward to his trip to the Chateaux of the Loire Region, but cannot afford the full price of the maps (as sold new) and would love to be able to purchase a second hand set of maps...end of very weak scenario

I've just probably wasted my time haven't I...someone is gonna post back with a link to a forum or site, I just know it.

All characters above are fictional and are not based on any individual. Any similarity is totally coincidental.

No animals were harmed (or used) in the making of this post. :D :D
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't sell the maps. You don't own them. You only own the licence to use them. And TomTom won't agree to you transferring the right.

As far as I know anyway......... Rolling Eyes
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there is the problem of activation to consider. It's not permitted so lets jusat leave it at that.
smallfreak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Trading Maps Reply with quote

mazza wrote:
Now, I don't know if this already goes on, or indeed the legality of it, though I can't think of any law against it, but what if we could have a forum for buying and selling our unwanted maps...

If you are not sure whether it is legal, why don't you just read the license agreement? After all, you already agreed to it.

To make the long story short: You must not sell/trade/share any maps. In addition to being illegal, it is simply impossible because you cannot "activate" the map on another GO.

If you read the license thoroughly, you are not even allowed to make backups, copy anything to a different card, look into any of the files or modify them, or transfer anything off the GO by any means.
mazza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Trading Maps Reply with quote

[quote="smallfreak"]
mazza wrote:

If you read the license thoroughly, you are not even allowed to make backups, copy anything to a different card, look into any of the files or modify them, or transfer anything off the GO by any means.

A very flexible system...NOT! Why do we pay so much money for such things when you can't even personalise it. Like buying a car and not being allowed to buy new wheels! :x
smallfreak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Trading Maps Reply with quote

mazza wrote:
Why do we pay so much money for such things when you can't even personalise it. Like buying a car and not being allowed to buy new wheels! :x

It is very unlikely that some evil person would make copies of the wheels at home and sells them. "non physical" values must be protected by suitable means. To stay with the car, even there you are allowed certain specifications of tires only and not "all i want".

When you buy any computing device, you own the electronics. You may paint it pink or glue patches on it, whatever. You do not own the software and data, but are allowed to use it as specified in the contract. If you don't agree to a specific contract the vendor offers you, you don't need to buy/use the goods. You can't just pick that parts that you like and accuse the other party of being unfair to you.

Btw. the "content is protected, medium is your own" idea has not been invented for computers. It exists everywhere around you where you buy "information". Even a paper map is covered by this. You own the paper. You may fold airplanes with it or light a fire - it's up to you. You must not copy the map, you must not digitize it. You must not use the information on it for anything other than looking at it personally (no broadcasting, no public reading, ..). You may sell it as a whole, as separating the map from the paper is not possible in this case which is different with computer based maps.

That's called "copyright" or "protection of intellectual property"
mazza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Trading Maps Reply with quote

smallfreak wrote:

That's called "copyright" or "protection of intellectual property"

I fully comprehend what it is called, BUT, my point is... even software e.g Adobe Photoshop, which is not cheap by any standard, allows (and the operative word being ALLOWS)the individual to add/install third-party add-ons and plug-ins with the total consent of the developer/distributor, AND the extras don't have to be purchased/downloaded from the developer.

So why, when we have something like TTG, which could be extremely customisable from the GUI to the POI, are we not able to tweak it to our own needs, and be constrained in how we use it? It Stinks Exclamation Stop it!
smallfreak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Trading Maps Reply with quote

mazza wrote:
So why, when we have something like TTG, which could be extremely customisable from the GUI to the POI, are we not able to tweak it to our own needs, and be constrained in how we use it? It Stinks Exclamation Stop it!

hmm.. I think we are talking about different things. You may customise your GO as you like. You may add any 3rd party addons (POIs), you may change the menu, colors, sounds as you like - where I still believe TT likes to sell us their SDK beforehand instead of hacking into the program source.

What you are not allowed is, to move any part of the software, maps or other stuff, that you licensed from TT out of the TTG or any other medium that you have been given and hand it to someone else. If TT is really picky about that - not even yourself. This applies to data transferred digitally via mobile-phone or internet too. None of these things do you own and you can only distribute things you own (or you have been granted the right to do this).

I have found nothing that would keep you from tweaking your GO as you like, as long as you do not distribute TT owned stuff. Ah yes, and certainly they do not like if someone rips apart their software to look how they have done it all. That's the paragraph about "reverse engineering". Otherwise Garmin could easily sneak a few goodies out of the code.

There are still a lot of treasures to discover from the parts they had to publish in source, to comply with the GPL.

Btw. you once should take the time and read a Micro$oft license agreement - the thing we usually accept blindly because it is so long. Try to read what restrictions they apply on us. Not to sue every single one of us, but to have a paper they can wave at you "in case of emmergency".

If you are unsure about "usage restrictions" of certain websites, you may look at this page: http://www2.coca-cola.com/termsofuse.html I don't dare to talk more about that, because even mentioning this link could get me in trouble. :x

Life is full of restrictions.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: