Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CP5 continuously re-routes (on-route)?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CP5 continuously re-routes (on-route)?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Options, options...

I have some insight into large customer service organisations supporting technical products sold to consumers.

You would be AMAZED by the level of questions asked by some buyers of such products who don't have the inate expertise and competencies of the kind of people that often frequent forums like this.

I can certainly see the train of thought that might have steered TomTom to REDUCE the options in their products to get the call rates of confused/unhappy customers into their customer services organisation down.

Problem is, more "technical" people love options, and invariably know how/are prepared to learn how to use them. The greater mass market just wants something that works well enough, and gets confused by too many options. I'm not trying to belittle such people, just pointing out that their needs are different, and they possibly represent the greater population of potential customers.

W
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... but I would also concede that have lots of 'modes' (like you get on consumer cameras these days) add "wow" factor and perceived value.

It's a difficult one, for sure...

W
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's much simpler for any user to select a trip type of 'absolute shortest', 'adventure' or 'scenic', than the current scheme of forcing user to set 20 default road speeds and about 12 sliders for favor/avoid, and to have to change this setting each time he or she feels like a different type of trip (like twice a day maybe).
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think I agree.

The camera comparison works quite well for me. Like having different 'scene' modes as well as 'program' and fully 'manual' modes for those that think they know what they're doing...

W
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like a preference to avoid any roads with 'traffic-calming' road humps. The ultra-low profile tyres on my BMW's 18" wheels, and the extremely-hard suspension, makes me look for alternate routes whenever possible. Even if the map data doesn't include information like that, it would be nice to re-classify roads that I've driven over.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the "Avoid Roads" feature on several wishlists. Many complain that you can only use the Detour feature once you are underway.

To implement "Avoid Roads" feature could be complicated since it would be hard to specify the road segment in question. One suggestion would be to let user specify these as "trips not to take". Short trip files could be saved along with a weighting factor about how desperately you want to avoid the road or roads they contain, and they could be excluded to a certain extent from the routing search results.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMWBiker wrote:
Vehicle type:
o Motorcycle (allow all roads, including unpaved)
o RV (avoid sharp turns, U-turns, small roads)
o Car (avoid unpaved roads except for extreme cases like cutting the distance in half; ideally prompt driver to expect dirt)

Yeah, it would be good to have an option to avoid things like unpaved roads, unclassified roads, toll roads, city centres and motorways. (Garmin and others already have an option for unpaved roads, toll roads and motorways).

I would love to have a favour scenic routes option which would take you out of your way to go via a scenic route where it was available, too.

However, this can sometimes produce nasty routes and it shouldn't be set in stone. In certain areas, avoiding a toll bridge/motorway etc might take you 20 miles out of your way, for example. It would be nice if the GPS calculated the best route based on your options but also offered you an option to take what it thought was the Quickest route, ie:

Your route (avoids Toll/Motorway/City Centre/via Scenic Route etc): 35 miles, 55 minutes. Quickest route: 14 miles, 35 minutes.

Then the user could decide if they want to stick with their preferences or if it would be better to accept the Quickest route.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: