Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Starting up
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Starting up Reply with quote

We are new to this "game" and need some guidance.

We have an old Garmin GPS that we use for walking and are still very happy with, but we now wish to fit a GPS system into our motorhome for use in GB and on the continent.

We think that a BT Emtac receiver and Pocket PC would suit our needs along with Tom Tom 2 as the navigation program.

I have 2 questions (Just for a start )!!!

1 Which is the better pocket pc for my needs? Ipaq Compaq 3970 or the Fujitsu Siemens L00X (I expect I would need an additional 128Mb memory with either)

2 Is the TT2 software stable? Some of the reports on this group have been rather worrying.

I do realise that the answers could just be personal taste but when you spend this sort of money a guiding hand is nice.

Cheers
Buffy Beagle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Starting up Reply with quote

>Is the TT2 software stable?

We too were worried, but we have been getting on well with TTN2. See the thread called "Positive experiences with TomTom Nav 2" in the TTN2 forum. We forgot to mention there that we are using it with an iPaq 3970 and Socket Bluetooth GPS.

We hope our comments help

Buff and Hugh
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

I think that with the recent patches TTN2 is stable now. I am running 2.01 having used 2.0 without any of the problems people are describing, so maybe I am not qualified to answer that question. Having said that I have been using it for a few weeks and quite a few hundred miles with no problems.

As far as equipment goes I would go for the iPaq 3970 and Emtac. I dont have any experience of the Loox but the 3970 is a stable product (unlike the 5450) and has excellent Bluetooth functionality.

And finally Yes you will need a 128MB SD card to hold the maps. UK maps are 95Mb.
Eagle
Occasional Visitor

I am using TomTom and an EMTAC BTGPS with a Pocket Loox and this is a great combination. One great advantage of the Loox is the fact that you can fit CF cards and a MMC or SD card at the same time. I have a 1gb microdrive fitted in the CF slot all the time and use an SD card with my TomTom maps on. Perfect, I don't have to switch cards all the time or fit a sleeve as you do with the iPAQ. I am very pleased with the Loox as a stable machine. Once the Loox has been set up to the EMTAC via Bluetooth it will automatically connect when you start TomTom.

The procedure is; switch on the EMTAC, switch on Bluetooth on the Loox (small switch at the side), start the Loox then TomTom and you should find that you are ready to go.

If you go this route I would suggest that you get a 256mb SD card. This will allow more maps to be loaded or the complete map of Germany etc. (You did say that you were touring the continent). You may need more than 1 SD card if you are travelling through several of the continental countries on the same journey.

Good luck hope it works as well for you as it does for me
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Roger on 22 April 2003

We are new to this "game" and need some guidance.

We have an old Garmin GPS that we use for walking and are still very happy with, but we now wish to fit a GPS system into our motorhome for use in GB and on the continent.

If your GPS is not too old (what is it?), it is perfectly good enough. All you need is a cable to connect to your PPC.

Roger
Occasional Visitor

Quote: originally posted by PC-Mobile on 28 April 2003

If your GPS is not too old (what is it?), it is perfectly good enough. All you need is a cable to connect to your PPC.

Interesting thought, the Garmin is a GPS 12. It is about 4 or 5 years old now. It has got a data plug at the bottom to enable it to be connected to either another Garmin or PC. But I thought you could only transfer information such as waypoints, and say, routes and tracklog. I can't find anything in the handbook about positional data. But this isn't my field. Certainly interesting, be very pleased to hear further from you.

Cheers,

Roger.

PS Thanks also to the others who have replied to my initial post.

Darren
Frequent Visitor

The GPS 12 is a great unit, it was my first introduction to the world of GPS and is fully NMEA compatible so with a suitable cable will 'drive' TomTom on a PocketPC perfectly happily.
Roger
Occasional Visitor

QUOTE: Originally posted by Darren on 30 April 2003.

"The GPS 12 is a great unit, it was my first introduction to the world of GPS and is fully NMEA compatible so with a suitable cable will 'drive' TomTom on a PocketPC perfectly happily."

Thanks very much indeed. This would be a superb answer because that GPS has always worked very, very well. How do I go on about running it with TomTom then? Sorry to appear so thick, but I AM a newbie in this game. Where can I get hold of the lead, anywhere in particular, such as Garmin? And what mode must the Garmin 12 be in?

Thanks very much again.

Roger.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Roger, it does depend on which Pocket PC you're going to get, if you goto PC-Mobile.net. You'll need a GRDC plug which will connect to the Garmin 12 and a Pocket PC end (as it comes in two cable parts).

You should then be able to purchase both cables cheaper. eg if you're looking at a 3870/3970/5450 then goto for cable set GRQ38 which includes the Garmin end (GRDC) and a GQ38 (iPAQ end). If you wanted to power the iPAQ in-car at the same time, then you'll need a different cable set.

Goto the PDA Power Combo Page and select the GRQ38P (P donating powered).

The Garmin must be in NMEA mode which should run at 4800 baud, and it will connect to the Pocket PC using COM1.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

For the lead you need to speak to PC-Mobile who has a forum on this site. They manufacture custom cables for all manner of GPS/PDA combinations. Once you have the cable (you amy want one that allows 12v power to the PDA and Serial input from the GPS) then switch the GPS12 to NMEA output, I can't recall how but it's in the setup menu, insted of Garmin protocol for up/downloading of waypoint just set to NMEA out. After that set TomTOM GPS to NMEA compatible on the external com port and you're done.
Roger
Occasional Visitor

Many thanks to all who have posted their ideas to this thread. On advice from PC Mobile, and Dave and Darren's input on the same subject, I have decided to go the Garmin route, partly because I like the idea of utilising something I already have, the Garmin 12 (ie, Aberdonian Jewish outlook, hope nobody takes offence, it IS a joke).

I have ordered the leads from PC Mobile and should receive them by Thursday

I have also ordered the Pocket Loox, together with the TT2 maps for GB and Europe, along with a 256mB CF card. I will post my experiences later. Am going to France for a month on the 14th of this month, so will have some practice before setting off.

Thanks again to all, it is much appreciated.
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

Pocket Loox is a good choice, particularly with recent good deals from several vendors.

It has almost everything you will ever need: BT, SD and CF.
Blackadder
Occasional Visitor

How did you get on with your GPS12/TTN2 combo? Is it doing what you want? (As a newcomer myself, I'm interested to learn how others are getting on).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: