Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ipaq h2210 TT5 and Bluetooth dropouts....is this the Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ipaq h2210 TT5 and Bluetooth dropouts....is this the Problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is an amplified mount then it is more than just a power connection. Mine includes the switching 12-5 Volt power supply and the audio amplifier.

Now when TTN5 is accessing the BT connection there is data transfer but with only the BT connection made there is no data transfer.

So the mount could still be interfering with the data transfer. I think that I would disconnect all power to the mount and try that, isn't there a fuse somewhere?

Is there any way you can power the PDA from another source combined with isolating the mount?

If it then works off the isolated mount and powered from a different source then it would definitely point to the mount.

Roger
Drewzel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet,

Slowly but surely I have been narrowing down the problem....during a round trip to Meadowhall (Sheffield) this evening with my wife driving I have been able to have a play whilst on the go. Watching the raw data coming off the Globalsat receiver I noticed that it was locking up intermittently...unbelievably, squeezing the Ipaq on the back released the lockup and data began to be transferred again for a short period before locking up again.

With the PDA sat in the cradle the same thing happened and I wondered if it was a loose connection at the base of the cradle, despite the Ipaq still being charged up. This was not the case, because the same thing happened when the PDA was in my hand...I am now thinking that there is a fault on the device resulting in an intermittent loss of the bluetooth communication with the GPS...somehow squeezing it in my hand seems to make the connection once again.

This evening I have had numerous occasions when the bluetooth manager would fail to start (due to insufficient memory...ha ha) so I think that the device has developed a fault with the bluetooth...just what i need when I have just forked out around £350 for cradle, receiver and software!

Whether there is a loose connection or bad earth or something inside I obviously do not know....but a squeeze hare and there on the battery cover at the back seems to have cured it, even temporarily.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement Ipaq h2210 from since I am thinking that that is going to be the only long-term solution...or a new device with a new cradle (even more cash)...though then I am not sure about reinstalling TT5.

Has anyone any recommendations??

regards,

Andrew
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that.

Clutching at straws and I don't see how it would affect the bluetooth but does it have a removeable battery. I have found previously that dirty battery terminals will cause errors when a device is squeezed since this is the only non-soldered connection inside the PDA.

Roger
Drewzel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

Yes it does seem starnge....i have checked the terminals and they seem ok.....on further consideration i am wondering whether it is not the bluetooth connection as such since on squeezing the device the data was still there.....it was is if a damn suddenly burst but maybe a screen update issue or some such problem...clearly there would appear to be something wrong with the device.....maybe the bluetooth serial port is at fault somewhere but it does seem that the data is been pushed to the PDA.

I have tested the GPS using the Sirfdemo programme and all seems well with the data coming off with no hiccups at all. I think i will do a hard reset of the Ipaq just in case some settings have been corrupted somewhere and then go from there. Although I do not want to replace the device I think that is probably going to be the answer in the long run.

Regards,

Andrew
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably it's out of warranty. That's tough luck.

I'm slowly beginning to wonder if I woudn't be better off with the TomTom GO. Prices are falling all the time and I could just buy a cheap PDA for things that the GO can't handle. If you check the GO forums there are virtually no problems compared with this forum and NO compatibility problems.

Next year possibly!

Roger
JJ_skydiver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just going to add my two cents in here.
I also had problems with the bluetooth losing it's connection. What I discovered is that this is a problem in the 2200 series of IPAQ's using ROM version 1.00.

I downloaded and installed ROM version 1.10 and alas, no more problems.
semrots
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry all for posting and 'disappearing' - work!! Rolling Eyes

For what its worth my 2210 is using Rom 1.10. Having read some stories of updates bricking PDA's I've steered well away!!

I think I must be lucky because I've always had a rock solid BT connection with the 2210, both in TT3 and TT5. Indeed following the upgrade, although I reverted to 'normal ' BT console initially (to ensure there were no probs), its connected fine using the 'wired gps' option. Sadly I'm a believer if it ain't broke, so having got it connected I'm not about to play.

I think you're right in that if squeezing it sort the problem then something isn't right.

I have had a thought, and that is from other posts it seems that TT5 uses quite a lot of power with reports of batteries being used quicker. As already mentioned have you got a dirty/weak battery connection? It would maybe have worked fine with TT3 using less power, but with powering TT5 maybe the connection ain't quite upto it and BT suffers - squeezing the back corrects the bad connection? That might explain why I think you said you could get a rock solid BT connection when not running TT5?

I'm straw clutching for you but....?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: