Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie XDA2i and TTN5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie XDA2i and TTN5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
as400
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Newbie XDA2i and TTN5 Reply with quote

Hello all!

Am chomping at the bit awaiting the arrival of my TTN5 tomorrow and want to get it up and running on my new XDA2i ASAP.

Is installation easy?....I'm reading that all the info is already on the memory card that comes with the kit? so do I just insert it into the XDA and away I go?

Whats all this about creating a tomtom folder onto the SD card? why should we have to do that?

Are there any issues regarding postcode searches? it seems some folk have a problem with this?

Any other tips well appreciated!
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't set up an empty TOMTOM folder on the SD card, the Postcode function doesn't work on 6 digits, only 4 as per TT3.

Seems to work quite well for the Postcodes I have entered, but I am sure someone will disagree!!

Steve
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use it does work fine on the xda as i have 1 BUT the only thing you have to do everytime you use tt5 is you have to turn flight mode on as the phone locks up if you dont ....well it does for me and this is my 2nd phone
hopefully the upgrade will sort this out o2 are working on it supposedly

installation is easy went like a dream no errord whatsoever ,and NO SD CARD it#s on disk ,and you will need a sd disk as the file is quite big the who;e of the uk is there
as400
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"NO SD CARD its on disk"

Oh! really?...it says on the tomtom site when you buy the TT5 that an SD card is included with the software on it?

http://www.tomtom.com/products/section.php?ID=69&Section=117&Language=1

if its not what size SD card would be best to buy?....I ideally want maps of France/italy/Spain as well......would 512 be best?....the bigger the card the slower the response?...would 1GB be detrimental in any way?...are some SD cards faster/better than others?....and are TT aware that you have to create this extra empty folder in order for the postcode X 7 to work?...seems a bit odd if they don't instruct you to create this work around solution?
nazimyounis
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as400 wrote:
"NO SD CARD its on disk"

Oh! really?...it says on the tomtom site when you buy the TT5 that an SD card is included with the software on it?

http://www.tomtom.com/products/section.php?ID=69&Section=117&Language=1

if its not what size SD card would be best to buy?....I ideally want maps of France/italy/Spain as well......would 512 be best?....the bigger the card the slower the response?...would 1GB be detrimental in any way?...are some SD cards faster/better than others?....and are TT aware that you have to create this extra empty folder in order for the postcode X 7 to work?...seems a bit odd if they don't instruct you to create this work around solution?

This applied to TOMTOM Mobile not TOMTOM Navigator.

regards

Nazim
as400
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear! what's the difference between TT navigator and TT mobile?...worried I havn't ordered the right thing now! Sad
radavis
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as400 wrote:
Oh dear! what's the difference between TT navigator and TT mobile?...worried I havn't ordered the right thing now! Sad

The Mobile version is for Smartphones the XDA range is not a Smartphone.

The TomTom Navigator V5 is the one you want.
as400
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well I have just got it...."tomtom Navigator 5 for PDA" to give it its full title.....just one SD card...so popped it in and fired up the GPS little box...and that was it...works a treat. Compatible with XDA2i. No extra folders needed.
markyhedgehog73
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you thoroughly tested it yet???

I have found several problems with mine
1. When exiting the software it switches bluetooth off!
2. The maps are not up to date even when road changes have been made in the last 5years!!!
3.It freezes up if you dont turn the phone off before using it!!
All in all very disappointed Crying or Very sad
as400
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup the maps are out of date for changes made to roads years ago!...so Tom get ya ass in gear and sack the man from Telewest...there must be a mapping agency out there that have better info.

Any texts and phone calls comming in while the XDA is in action really throws it...but I'm not too worried by that as have a seperate phone system for calls/texts...still its something that needs sorting.

Haven't had any freezing up yet though.

At the end of the day this is sat-nav on the cheap (heck in my previous car it was a £1500 option!) so I can't complain too much.
as400
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teleatlas rather!

Anyone know how I can get maps of Europe? do I have to buy another card with the maps on?...can't believe they are incorporated on a tiny 128mb SD card?
korndog
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markyhedgehog73 wrote:
have you thoroughly tested it yet???

I have found several problems with mine
1. When exiting the software it switches bluetooth off!
2. The maps are not up to date even when road changes have been made in the last 5years!!!
3.It freezes up if you dont turn the phone off before using it!!
All in all very disappointed Crying or Very sad

1. that's a good thing, i thought anyway, saves on battery.
3. i found that problem with my earlier XDA but I now have an XDA II (not the latest XDA, which I have heard there are many lock up problems with it). I can now use the phone during navigation and return back to navigation after the call without any problems. Have a look at how much memory you have free and uninstall any crap you don't really need
markyhedgehog73
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

korndog,

its no good switching bluetooth off when you have other bluetooth devices connecting to your phone!!
i have the xda 2i and have loads of free memory cos i aint installed the applications that i got with the phone, have also disabled the o2 active that has a known memory leak so its not that thats causing problems.
At the end of the day i travel to a lot of towns and citys so navigation is quite vital to me tomtom should have at least updated their maps to within last years roads survey microsoft did it with auto route and they rip you off just as much as tomtom are doing now!!!!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't seen any text or phone lockups using ttn5 at all using either a bt receiver or my holux mount im using a bog standard 1gb sd card. the only problem i havebis when running ttn5 in landscape it turns any os apps to portrait but the ttn2004 did that to im told its because tt does not use the os to switch to landscapemaps are about as update as it gets though this comes up everytime any company
releases new software and maps wether the mapping data is from teleatlas or navteq

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: