Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - LETS ACT, TOMTOM 5 SHOULD BE INVESTIGATED BY WHICH?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

LETS ACT, TOMTOM 5 SHOULD BE INVESTIGATED BY WHICH?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k3-dude wrote:

No mate i bought the software from a kid on here in the sales forums

Would you care to supply the relevant link to the 'For Sale' post in our forums?
Glen007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A response from Which? magazine

"Thank you for this suggestion - I will definitely pass this on as an idea for a future review. I am not aware of any immediate plans to investigate this product but this may well change and I am sure that your comments will prove very helpful to the team."

Lets wait and see. Wink
COMPACT FLASH VIKING INTERWORKS 512MB
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt Which will do anything. It is a good piece of software. The problem people have is that it's different to the one they were used to, and has a couple of bugs, perhaps. I gotta tell you, that getting a piece of software of that complexity working flawlessly with all kinds of third-party hardware is an almost impossible job.

There are a few bits that I don't like, and bits that I thought were better in TT3, but on balance, TT5 is a fine bit of software and I find I like it more every time I use it.
CJackel492
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason to investigate is because of the map data,

We can't be getting the latest maps as they are still wrong and Navteq maps appear to be more up to date,

We all purchased the upgrade on the belief that we were getting updated maps,

For me the maps are still as bad and even worst in 1 instance I've found so far,

Carl,
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJackel492 wrote:
We can't be getting the latest maps as they are still wrong and Navteq maps appear to be more up to date,

I've seen detailed comparisons of Navteq/TeleAtlas Map Data using the data delivered directly from the providers and it is far from clear cut that Navteq are better/more current. Both providers appear to have good and bad areas of coverage and overall they are very similar.
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJackel492 wrote:

We all purchased the upgrade on the belief that we were getting updated maps,

Yes, but they aren't the most recent maps. There is a significant amount of processing that goes on to get it into the correct format, and then they have to be tested. They will always be a release or two behind the "current" version.

You do have updated maps compared to the last version, so you can't complain there.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, as far as my home town is concerned, the effect of the updating has been to introduce errors which were not there in TT3!!
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Lancaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
It works fine on my PDA, which has a 400MHz CPU. A lot of the problems reported could be due to making excessive demands on slower CPUs
Robin

No, older PDAs like yours have less problems. The product is not fit for purpose on modern VGA devices Many of which have 624MHz CPUs).
You have to hack the Tomtom exe file to adjust the programme back to QVGA mode, or there is a memory leak which will eventually crash the device, or if you don't wait that long, freeze upon exit.
Tomtom have acknowledged this major bug, and advised of an "Upgrade" in two or three weeks.
To use the 7 digit postcode feature, you have to create a dummy directory on the storage card. This is not documented by Tomtom, and last time I looked is not in their FAQ.
They have taked features out of the software so that they can more easily support it across all platforms.

All in all, a bit of a mess.

Martin
alan_m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Glen007 wrote:
I have V 5 sitting on my desk, im frightened to death of installing it as i need it for an important trip and quite frankly, after reading for hours through these threads, dont feel confident of using TTN5 for it. I will be installing it in a weeks time.

I can't defend their CS, it's appalling at times.

However, TTN v5 works perfectly on my 2210 and I too use a BT338 so you should go ahead and install with confidence. The issues posted about here are a very small percentgae of the installed user base and are not a fair reflection of the product, happy users don't post to say it all works Smile

There are enough dissatisfied users of TT5 posting to Usenet and Web forums, not necessarily GPS type forums, to indicate that there are underlying major problems with this software. Consider also that it is people installing the upgrade who are complaining. These people have already had experience of earlier versions of TT and understand how the program is meant to operate so its not just 'finger trouble' faults that can easily be rectified. Earlier versions of TT have probably run without problems on the same hardware.

It's not just the operation of the software that is the issue. I see a growing number of posts from people who have come to realise that the accuracy of the latest maps leaves a lot to be desired and the GB maps are inferior to those supplied with other GPS Sat Nav software.

For obvious reasons, TT don't want to support older programs and have offered no options other than using TT5 if you want the latest maps.

I have had a lot of trouble with the operation of TT5 on my Dell Axim 3, 400MHz with stalling and lock-ups. These problems are often random as to when they will happen but are nearly always associated with an event such as producing a POI warning or a recalculation of a route when deviating from that recommended by TT.

Enabling 'Warn only if on route' in the POI menus stopped the occasional lock-up when a POI warning was just about to be issued.

Deleting the individual speed camera POIs and replacing them with a single file seems to have cured the problem of the 3/5 second stalls in updating the position and with the warning sounds sometimes being absent.

Disabling the PDA's automatic clock frequency changing feature, disabling the PDA's power saving feature and removing a tool manager background program from PDA seems to have stopped (fingers crossed) the locking up after 45 minutes of use problem.

I have also disabled other features in TT5, such as changing volume with speed as this is reported by others to cause problems.

Problems such as TT5 getting lost for a few seconds before jumping back to the correct position and misleading premature voice instructions still remain.

What does this leave? A PDA and Sat Nav with less functionality than I had with TT3 and the likelihood of a very unstable Sat Nav system if I again turn on some of the TT5 features.

Not bugs - but the need to navigate through twice as many menu screens and /or having to use twice as many stylus presses to select the same functions as in TT3 does nothing to help the perception that TT5 is a well designed piece of software.

People don't pay to be a beta testers of software so don't be surprise that they may be unhappy with TT latest offering. Furthermore, TT customers shouldn't have to trawl through forums to try and find solutions for the bugs in TT5. TomTom have our email addresses and were keen to contact us when they wanted money from us but seem to be reluctant to post a list of bug work - arounds (or links to places where they could be found).

You suggest that only people who have complaints post but I have seen very few posts saying that the bugs don't exist. One persons bug may be another persons minor inconvenience but it still does not change the fact that TT5 has bugs that for some make it a substandard product. I've even seen people posting saying TT5 is great product DESPITE it locking up or defending TT by saying that it is no different to other buggy programs!

How are the people who are less computer or Usenet/Web forum literate coping with the upgrades or new TT5 product? I assume they must be relying totally on TT's after service support which others have said is not too good.
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a recent TT5 upgrade convert...very disappointed.....all part of the Dutch disease I'm afraid. Anybody locked in to KLM will understand.
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reading this forum it appears that there are not that many true 'bugs' in the software it's self (see the Windows XP updates if you want to know about bugs, they appear every week or so and still Windows XP crashes or locks up). As Tomtom themselves say the product is supplied for use on Tomtom equipment and they cann't support equipment supplied by other manufactures but do list equipment that they have found to be compatable. How many of the bugs are truly Tomtoms and how many are equipment/software problems that show up when Tomtom is installed.
There appears to be a lot of 'map data' errors but what percentage? There is a huge amount of data that is constantly changing so it will be difficult to keep upto date (that said, some of the errors should have been sorted as they have been reported many times over a long time, over to Teleatlas for that one).
The majority of compliants on this forum have been that Tomtom does not do this, that or the other BUT it does do 'what it says on the can'. Are we forgetting that TTN 5 has to run in the limited memory of a PPC (palm etc.) and still leave room for other stuff? How would it be if Tomtom used all available memory & left none for the likes of Memory Map and other software that we use?
There was a lot of posts as to when Tomtom would be delivered but they said 5 weeks & got most of them out in LESS time than that. Maybe 5 weeks is too long but atleast you knew BEFORE you ordered.

Yes, Tomtom will have to fix the VGA problem, improve the post code file to deal with named houses (houses with NO no.), the lack of full postcode search until you manually create an empty Tomtom directory on the SD card etc. and their customer service could be more helpful & less 'off hand' but they are not rude or abusive.

All in all there is no need for Which to get involved. I had to go to a firm in Peckham one (from the north east), directions I was given were 'go to Battersea & turn left, it's on the right'. I got there no problems, took the correct left turn first time & NO map either. Tomtom would have taken me a quicker route but would it have saved me more than 15 mins? I doubt it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: