Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT5 coexisting?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT5 coexisting?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PWSki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: TT5 coexisting? Reply with quote

Is this supposed to be an upgrade?

After happily using my Ipaq 5550 for both satnav and incar music, I bought the TT5 upgrade. I have a hardwired Rikaline 6010 gps and brodit cradle. Bluetooth is not enabled.
Normally I have Pocket Player installed and Tomtom3 and can quite happily load up both, hit play on the ipaq and listed to hours of mp3's while flicking back and forth between the Tomtom nav screen and pocket player with a configured hardware button, no issues with performance, dropouts etc..

Installing TT5, what a mistake!
Started by doing and over the top upgrade. Went smoothly enough, but as others have seen, 7 digit postcode searching didn't work. Main app in memory, maps on memorycard. Created the empty "tomtom" folder onmemory card, all sorted. Took it for a test drive, all seems ok, gps ok, all normal..
Firstly I found that I can't configure the hardware buttons... no more using them for app switching.
Secondly, It no longer has a menu to hit on the top left corner twice to bring the start menu, so no app switching that way either!
Next, the main info panel at the bottom, used to contain useful info when I didn't have a route set, now it just says "no Route", enabled all the options but all it gives you is a tiny speed & time in the right hand corner, no improvement.

Anyway onto my biggest issue, and one if I can't solve, will mean going back to Tomtom3 and seeking a refund...

I have tried and tried to get TT5 to coexist with Pocket Player but will it heck!, If I load up pocket player first, then minimize it and load TT5, tomtom takes 10x longer to load up, then it kicks off any wifi/bluetooth links I may happen to have ( never had this issue with TT3 as I also use wifi to play mp3's from a wireless storage device). When TT5 does finally start up, the whole interface is unresponsive & the music playing crackles and stutters like an untuned radio. ie I can't use either product.

Even after a full on hard reset & reinstall, same issue.
Does tomtom5 hoard 100% of the PDA's resources? is this upgrade designed to multitask with other software?
Also tried with mediaplayer and a host of other mp3 software, and all do it.. it seems tomtom5 doesn't like sharing with anything else!

Am I alone or does anyone else have this sort of setup working to give me a little hope in persisting?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: TT5 coexisting? Reply with quote

PWSki wrote:

Does tomtom5 hoard 100% of the PDA's resources? is this upgrade designed to multitask with other software?

Yes, TomTom5 uses up nearly 100% of the PDA resources. TomTom do not care if you have other software on your machine, they want to "own" your PDA.

I also noticed that response to hardware button is very sluggish - you need to press buttons much more longer to get them to react.

If TTN3 could work with the new maps...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
PWSki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I've logged a call with Tomtom, to see what they say.

I have managed to improve it, by uninstalling the Tomtom bluetooth part..
Almost acceptable, but still unable to play an mp3 without the odd stutter.

Does anyone know of any ppc utility that would restrict processor time to individual apps/processes, sort of like assigning 75% to tomtom & 25% to media player? Might seem like a fudge, but something else to try..
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: TT5 coexisting? Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Yes, TomTom5 uses up nearly 100% of the PDA resources. TomTom do not care if you have other software on your machine, they want to "own" your PDA.

I've got an XDAIIs - does this mean I wont be able to receive or make phone calls while using TTN5?
AllenJames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well 4.4 maps work with TT3, surely someone can get TT5 maps to work.

Please !!!!
iPhone 5 (phoning)
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: TT5 coexisting? Reply with quote

Maxi wrote:
I've got an XDAIIs - does this mean I wont be able to receive or make phone calls while using TTN5?

I can only speak for the iPAQ 6315. It's slow to respond to an incoming call, but does eventually work. TTN5 will mute its announcements for the duration of the call. After the call is finished it continues with them. Looks ok so far, but certainly not lightning fast.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
PWSki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving up!
This is just awful...

The app take over a minute to start, and is so bloated it maxes out the ipaq, so not even the most streamlined media player can play an mp3 in the background without it stuttering & hanging the tomtom interface.

No reply from tomtom yet, so off it comes and back to version 3.07 for me! Evil or Very Mad

So do I now push for a pre-14 day refund or count on a major bugfix release in the near future (hmm right)..
mcjones56
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the same problem.

I thought I'd do a quick test after reading this thread, I currently have Media Player playing a movie (with sound), Resco File Explorer and TTN5 running a demo route.

The movie is playing OK the sound from TTN5 is mixing with the movie sound OK, and I'm able to browse using Resco File Explorer withourt any noticeable degradation in speed.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

Have Dell Axim X5 with 1Gb SD Card (movie is on SD Card as is TTN5).
PWSki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is th spec of the axim?
I use an ipaq 5550 - xscale 400mhz, 128mb onboard, 512mb SD & 1gb CF cards.
PWSki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWSki wrote:
what is th spec of the axim?
I use an ipaq 5550 - xscale 400mhz, 128mb onboard, 512mb SD & 1gb CF cards.

.. and this pda will quite happily play a full simpsons divx episode full screen with betaplayer, play an mp3 with pockeplayer and have a route demo'd on tomtom3 (I can hear the audio over the mp3 & movie all mixed together), with no stutter or slowdown.....and all the media is played directly via wifi from a network storage device..
So I think the pda is capable enough to cope.. but not with TT5.
CJackel492
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also am unhappy with TTN5,

TTN3 is a better version,

I have been able to app switch using the App Switch button, (Funny Curly Arrow),

Carl,

I have an iPaq h4150 with Mk I BT GPS receiver, and my original TTN3 CD to re-install it,

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: