Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - nav 2 doesnt work with destinator 2 gps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

nav 2 doesnt work with destinator 2 gps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pauls13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: nav 2 doesnt work with destinator 2 gps Reply with quote

I bought destinator 2 in december last year and was pretty happy with it but when I saw your review for nav2 i decide to switch camps after reading that nav 2 was compatibly with destinators 2 gps hardware. how wrong I was. when I first got nav2 to use, it use to place me in the middle of the english channel (I live in Poole in Dorset) so I contacted tom toms support dept who suggested that I upgrade to ver 2.05 which I did and hey presto it worked, kind of, now it tells me that my speed is 23970 mph when my actual speed is 35 mph and as a result the 3d display turns black and I am unable to receive instructions due to the fact that nav2 things am going to fast so I contact tom tom supprot once again and they tell me that I need to change the protocol on my gps hardware from SIRF to NMEA 0183 so to cut a long story short,I believe that the destinator 2 is a leadtek device so they have sent me a program to change the dest 2 from SIRF to NMEA but guess what when I change it to NMEA there is no reading from the hardware, has anyone come across this and if so they they please help me as I am getting no where fast.
mcollingwood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: nav 2 doesnt work with destinator 2 gps Reply with quote

I also have the destinator GPS and it is indeed a leadtek 9531. (This was bought about 18months ago) To get it to work in TomTom Navigator I had to set the driver to NMEA V2 19200 and it worked fine. There is a problem with navigator using Sirf protocol as you have discovered with the speed. Hope this helps
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Paul, you do need to switch it to use the NMEA driver, or manually switch the receiver out of SiRF to NMEA. Destinator is one of the only products that uses SiRF, most use NMEA, and there is a known bug if you travel west of Prime Meridian (eg Greenwich). I've been working with TomTom on this and I didn't think the fix had been implemented into v2.05, obviously it has, but there are still some ironing out of SiRF and there will be a new release in the near future that will totally fix the SiRF based issues.

BTW, select NMEA 19200 or 4800 driver, should get you working.
pauls13
Occasional Visitor

dave how do I switch it over manually?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Paul, run up TomTom Navigator 2, if you're in the Navigator screen tap anywhere on screen, select GPS Status, and the status screen will appear. Then tap the GPS tab and at the top you'll see a GPS driver name, to the left of this is a soft power button (eg a tick or a button). Press this to turn off GPS within the software, pull down the box and select NMEA 19200 and in the box below select Serial COM 1. Now re-tick the power button to turn the GPS signal back on within the software and you should get a connection.

If this fails to receive a signal, do the same but use NMEA 4800 as most Leadteks prefer 4800 rather than 19200 although I'm led to believe 19200 will work.
pauls13
Occasional Visitor

Thanks dave that did it, it now works fine
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Did it work switching it to NMEA 19200 or did you have to use 4800 ? Just curious!
pauls13
Occasional Visitor

It worked with NMEA 19200

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: