Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go 300 and v5.10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go 300 and v5.10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJEvans
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: TomTom Go 300 and v5.10 Reply with quote

I bought my TTG 300 when they were first released. Shortly after v5.10 was released and I installed it from the TT site.

Since doing so when I connect my TTG 300 to my computer it doesn't always show up immediatly as a removeable disc as it did when I had v5.00. Most of the time I have to restart my computer before I can access it.

I emailed tomTom about this, asking if this was a known problem and whether there would be a fix in any future firmware releases, and this was their responce

You can downgrade to 5.0 if you did a back up before installing version 5.1.
On the new Go 300 you don't need the newest update.

I don't ever remember seeing anything on the TT site explaining this.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myself and others on the MyTomTomGo forum have been having this problem. Here's what I emailed to TomTom Support:
Quote:
Since upgrading to V5.1 from 5.0, I'm finding it much harder to actually make the connection - the same PC now throws up error messages about problems with the USB mass storage device, unless (I think) I'm much more careful about the order of plugging in and switching on. Haven't quite got to the bottom of it yet, but it's certainly harder to get working than it was.
Having reported this on the MyTomTomGo forum it seems others are having a similar experience:-
Quote:
I've had simular problems since upgrading to V5.10. before when I was using V5.00 I could just plug the USB into the TTG300 and the red cross would appear straight away and when I went to my computer the removeable disc icon would be there.

Quote:
Since upgrading to V5.10 it seems a lot more difficult. When I go to my computer there's no trace of the removeable disc. So I unplug the usb and try again, turn the TTG on and the hand appears on the screen, but then the TTG goes to the map screen and starts looking for satalites even with the usb plugged in.
Twice I've had to restart my computer for it to recognise the removeable disc.

As this is with exactly the same PC with no other changes, it must be that something has changed with V5.1 (I have 5.100 (5158/050510).
Has this been reported as a bug?

And their response:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Customer Support. We are not currently aware of any issues regarding USB connections with version 5.10, but we have passed your comments on to our Technical Department who will investigate the issue fully.

All I can say is, make sure you email them (and see if they tell YOU that no-one else has mentioned it!)
BB695
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using a Microsoft OS? - If one works they should all wok, and mine works OK with 5.0 and 5.1. Maybe you have another peice of software installed that is causing problems. You need to be careful when pinning the blame
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it DID work much more smoothly with V5.0.
That kind of pins the blame, doesn't it? Wink
PJEvans
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB695 wrote:
Are you using a Microsoft OS? - If one works they should all wok, and mine works OK with 5.0 and 5.1. Maybe you have another peice of software installed that is causing problems. You need to be careful when pinning the blame

I'm using Windows 98, When I first got my TTG all I had to do was connect the cable and it would immediatly show up as a removable disc, since upgrading to v5.10 that doesn't happen and most of the time I have to restart my computer.

I didn't think that much of it but I saw it mentioned on another thread and that person had been told by TT that that was the first they had heard of it. I only really emailed them to let them know that it wasn't a one off.

It doesn't really bother me, it's just a bit of a pain at times but something I can live with. IMHO the TTG is a brilliant piece of kit and I'm looking forward to using it in France tomorrow Laughing

The reason of the post was mainly to let people who have just bought their TTG 300 and who were thinking of installing v5.10 that it 'might' cause problems and that according to TT the 300 doesn't need it Confused
BB695
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJEvans wrote:
IMHO the TTG is a brilliant piece of kit and I'm looking forward to using it in France tomorrow Laughing

Damn - I am counting down the days with the kids now. Only 8 sleeps to go - I'll wave if I see you Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: