Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Accuracy of GPS Speed indicators
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Accuracy of GPS Speed indicators
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

astrocompass wrote:
I'm cursed with occasional travel on the M25, and am regularly overtaken on those post-gantry road markings by vehicles travelling at a speed which makes Scotty's Warp Drive look positively glacial - but no flashes.

Perhaps someone can confirm it, but I had heard that the cameras are only active when a variable speed limit is in place. Still if it is true, who says if it could be changed without warning!
astrocompass
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An apology to Skippy - you're absolutely right. Did a bit of digging in the last few days (sorry to resuscitate an old thread, but it might help us all) and a couple of things emerged.

1. Wet Film (Gatso, Truvelo) Cameras WILL flash even if there's no film, or if the film has ended. However, some will only flash once rather than twice, so that might be a bit of a giveaway some of the time.
2. Cameras are often replaced with "dummies" so that, to the untutored eye and for one who has time to look, it seems as if they may be live. Part of the psyops to keep us all on our toes, and to keep those submissions coming in.....

Regret having to draw out this thread, but felt that Skippy was due an apology Embarassed
ScottMoffatt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I transfer my Medion PNA250 between various vehicles and find that the speedo accuracy varies widely.
Most are over-reading in the region of +8-10%, but the worst is my current works vehicle - an Astra 1.7CDTI Van - which over-reads by about 12%.

I also have a kit car - and as part of the SVA test the speedo calibration is checked. The limits are as mentioned previously in this thread.
I had to adjust the calibration at the test centre - and after 3 attempts achieved spot-on accuracy at 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70mph. I watched the tests being carried out.
I could have gone for a "safe option" over-reading, but it is a good thing to have a measuring device that is accurate!

However I have found that (seemingly dependent on routing calculations / POI warnings), the displayed speed can take a few seconds to update.
I'd agree with a previous post that the displayed GPS speed is only valid under level road steady-state conditions.

Scott.
mrgrumpy23
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm cursed with occasional travel on the M25, and am regularly overtaken on those post-gantry road markings by vehicles travelling at a speed which makes Scotty's Warp Drive look positively glacial - but no flashes.

My understanding is that these cameras were de-activated when the law changed regarding camera visibility. Because these cameras are invisible to drivers (you can't see them until you have passed them) they are not lawful and so they don't use them; if they are still actually there!

mrgrumpy23 Driving
Durotriges
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often wondered about the accuracy of the GPS device speed readings. If they are accurate to within a small percantage of the vehicle's true speed, how might this be explained:

At an indicated 70mph in my car, my friend's TomTom Go300 says I'm doing 65mph and my girlfriend's Road Angel Navigator 6000 says I'm doing 68mph.

I'm wondering which one is telling the truth!

Mike

:D
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Durotriges wrote:
how might this be explained:

At an indicated 70mph in my car, my friend's TomTom Go300 says I'm doing 65mph and my girlfriend's Road Angel Navigator 6000 says I'm doing 68mph.

Good question! (And Welcome to the forum!)

If you were doing 70 MPH then I presume you were on the open road so both devices would have been switched on for more than a few minutes so they should both have had a good satellite fix.

Did you test the two devices side by side or at different times? Were you doing a constant speed and direction for several seconds to allow the GPS speed reading to settle?

Which one would I believe? Probably the TomTom but you should check with your girlfriend - she will almost certainly have the correct answer. Wink Laughing
Durotriges
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Skippy and thanks for the welcome :D!

Hahaha, I had to laugh about your last comment! So you must know her then! Laughing Laughing Laughing

The readings I got were at different times, but taken over a long journey each time - and were of a stable speed and direction (once up the M5 and once down the A30 to Plymouth). For each journey the discrepancy was constant, so I don't think it was a signal strength issue.

I've just got myself an iPaq h2210 running TomTom Navigator, so I'll see what that has to say for itself.

Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Durotriges wrote:
I've often wondered about the accuracy of the GPS device speed readings. If they are accurate to within a small percantage of the vehicle's true speed, how might this be explained:

Mike

:D

All that GPS systems actually do is calculate your present position based on timings of the different sats they are getting info from.

The speed is calculated by the GPS unit based on the current and previous position. It could be that one unit is doing the wrong maths or getting the wrong fix. Two units placed very close to each other may interfere with each other and cause a problem with the fix. Try placing one on the rear window/parcel shelf.
Durotriges
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Phil.

Thanks for the information. I've since tried my TomTom running on my iPaq with my girfriend's Road Angel in the same car and the readings were the same for the speed.

I'll have to check my TomTom on iPaq against my friend's Go300 to see if there is a difference there.

Mike
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your PDA I would log the raw GPS and see what the GPS is reporting in it's NMEA output, or use something like winfast navigator. The problem is that ROad Angel, TT, Navman etc can "play" with the numbers before they display it to you.

The most likely scenario as I see it is:
The car speedo is always optimistic.
Road Angel would tend to be a bit conservitive - speed it their busniess and they do not want to be blamed for a ticket when they said you were not speeding
TomTom - the speed display is an ancilary function to the core of providing Navigation - the probably take the raw GPS and just display it. I am cautious with my Navmans as they possible just truncate the speed - so 70.9 MPH is displayed as 70. Even if the round, 70.4 will display as 70 and still (technically) get you pinged. So I always drive at 69 (officer :D )
Durotriges
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply :D. Logging raw GPS and NMEA things are beyond me at the moment, but that's something to learn about next!

I like your theory regarding the discrepancies. It would be interesting to find out what is actually happening.

Mike
gumbossos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrt car speedos, all cars have to comply to European law which states:
The speed indicated must never be less than the true speed....and
there shall be the following relationship between the speed indicated on the dial of the speedometer (V1) and the true speed (V2):

0 is less than or equal to V1-V2 which is also less than or equal to V2/10 + 4km/h

at all speeds above 40km/h

this is almost always checked with a GPS unit. it has to have an accuracy better than +/-1.0%

if that helps at all....
Durotriges
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. Sometimes you get in a car and it feels as if you are going faster for the indicated speed. When this happens it's usually when the speedometer is accurate!

The last time this happened was when my friend bought an old Audi Coupe (1986). We checked it at various speeds against the mile markers that the police use on our local dual carriageway and it turned out to be reading accurately. Having used my TomTom GPS in the car it confirmed that the speedo reads accurately. Another really accurate speedo I found was on a Rover 827.

The worst I have come across are in Vauxhall Cavaliers; it was really noticeable when driving one, having been used to a different car. One that we measured against the mile markers was reading fast by 10% at an indicated 30mph, increasing to 15% at an indicated 80mph.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: