Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN5 & BT-338 GPS Reciever
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN5 & BT-338 GPS Reciever
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glen007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: TTN5 & BT-338 GPS Reciever Reply with quote

I have just order the ttn5 upgrade and was wondering if anyone knows of any problems i might have, with regards to connecting with the bluetooth receiver?

I currently use NMEA 0183-38400 setting
and bluetooth COM8

Forwarned is forearmed! Wink
COMPACT FLASH VIKING INTERWORKS 512MB
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should not see anything out of the ordinary. If you have followed this forum recently you may have seen a lot of general comments that the TTN5 GPS connection is buggy. But this is receiver-independent.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Glen007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im afraid i dont share your optimism. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I have read a lot of threads on here about people unable to connect to the BT338 receiver. I would be very interested if anybody else has managed to connect to their BT338 receiver using TTN5 and what settings they are using i.e port and driver?

Someone please give me a ray of hope.

I have emailed GlobalSat to let them know about these problems and it is not good for their business either.

Have emailed TomTom but expect to get a daft answer they allways do like "buy our GPS receiver" and also asked them details of how to send my TTN5 Software back when I get it.

Not hopefull. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Zeena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom is aware of the problems with BT, and they work on this...
Drewzel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glen007

I have the ipaq h2210, TT5 and the globalsat bt338. It took a bit of sorting but it will connect ok. The settings I use are "other wired NMEA GPS device" connect at 9600baud (I think) on BT com port8. Once i got it to work I have had no problems.....the connection has been solid as a rock. With these settings start up TT5.....the bluetooth console will come up on the Ipaq, select the receiver and a few seconds later you should see your current position on the navigation screen.

I run the BT338 in the glove compartment of the car and have had no problems getting a fix (so far).

What does bug me though is that whenever you start TomTom it will try to fire up the BT connection to the receiver even if you do not want it and you only want to mess around with the programme settings etc.

Regards,

Andrew
Glen007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drewzl if you were a man or women i could kiss ya!

had just got through to tomtom and they have placed me a "buff" in my account so i can send it back, whatever a buff is.

but now all i will do is ignore it and keep it. Apparrently it was shipped today.

are the installation instructions ok?
Glen007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers andrew you are a star amongst stars.

U have given me hope where there was none. I shant bother sending it back when I receive it now. Apparently it has been shipped today.

The problem you mentioned i use to get around this by pressing the ok a couple of times. it would then go though to the navigation software.
SHC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glen007 wrote:
Drewzl if you were a man or women i could kiss ya!

had just got through to tomtom and they have placed me a "buff" in my account so i can send it back, whatever a buff is.

but now all i will do is ignore it and keep it. Apparrently it was shipped today.

are the installation instructions ok?

I think "BUFF" means "Bl**dy useless flippin foriegner" maybe? Seen as we all seem to have problems with their programme!
gmoorc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the other wired receiver workaround with my HX4700, TT5 and BT338.
After reading all the threads on the bluetooth connection problems I decided to give it another go with the other bluetooth option and........it connects with no problems Confused
Start up tomtom and the bluetooth connection switches on and connects to the receiver.
Switch off tomtom and the bluetooth switches off. This is using bluetooth com8

So now I have both options working 8O

Re the BT338 it recently started to take ages to get a lock after previously locking in seconds. The tomtom satellite screen was showing lots of grey bars with good signal but no lock.
Anyway after taking the battery out for a few minutes the problem has disappeared. Just wondered if any one else has experienced this?
Glen007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean taking the battery out of the gps receiver itself or your ipaq. Sorry its me being thick but i would like you to put me right. Just trying to gather as much of info before i get it. Wink
mixer25
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: SUCCESS!!!!! Reply with quote

Drewzel wrote:
Glen007

I have the ipaq h2210, TT5 and the globalsat bt338. It took a bit of sorting but it will connect ok. The settings I use are "other wired NMEA GPS device" connect at 9600baud (I think) on BT com port8. Once i got it to work I have had no problems.....the connection has been solid as a rock. With these settings start up TT5.....the bluetooth console will come up on the Ipaq, select the receiver and a few seconds later you should see your current position on the navigation screen.

Yes after much messing around with my Ipaq 4150 and the new BT338, this actually works!!!

Forget other settings, I tried them all for hours and this does actually work, weird but true!

I take it Tomtom will bring out a new driver soon for this problem which will fix it anyhow.

Thanks Drewzel! 8)
mixer25
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Connection? Reply with quote

My only issue is now...

Everytime I turn on Tomtom, I have to select the BT GPS, there must be a simple way round this???

I just want to turn on PDA, turn on GPS press TOMTOM and it runs....

Is this possible?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, please use the forum search for BTBrowserEnabled

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
mixer25
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thanks I did search for BTBrowserEnabled but this doesn't seem to be what I need plus couldn't for the life of me find the registry on Ipaq 4150.

I just want it to auto select the GPS as BT Device for TomTom without having to delay, also want it to auto on BT if not on or is this not poss?

The main thing I don't get it why the BT338 shows with a ? mark on it all the time in the PDA, as no other Paired Devices do.

Help Appreciated!
gmoorc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glen007 wrote:
Do you mean taking the battery out of the gps receiver itself or your ipaq. Sorry its me being thick but i would like you to put me right. Just trying to gather as much of info before i get it. Wink

I had a problem with the BT338 getting a lock. The connection to the ipaq was fine.

I took the battery out of the BT338 for a few minutes and it is now getting a lock nice and quickly again.

Seems a bit weird that people with the same kit are getting different results when trying to connect their receiver to tom tom?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: