Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom5 incompatible with HX4700 ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom5 incompatible with HX4700 ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mottus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be doing something wrong.

True, my HX4700 hangs whenever I exit TTN5 after I've used it to navigate a route - but apart from that (minor) inconvenience, I've had no problems at all.

My daily commute is 2.5 hours each way - all on motorways. Not once has it frozen, locked up or mis-behaved. The safety cameras are shown, the warnings work perfectly. Even when I left the motorway to miss a hold-up, no problems at all.

On my old Axim X5, TTN3 wouldn't work AT ALL.

I'm using the Holux GR231 BT GPS, and am still on ROM1.0, with the GBPlus maps and Postcodes installed on a 1Gb Lexar SD.
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue until I changed the set up GPS connection. Try changing the option to a wired gps and then selecting the bluetooth serial port.

Since then I have had no lockups.
Noony
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: My comments/observations RE HX4700 performance Reply with quote

Something here may help others...

My HX4700 sometimes does not want to power off after closing TTN5, and it appears to be linked to the memory leak. It will power off after a few minutes although it does not always happen, it's more likely to happen if over 3 hours of usage. (my ROM is 1.1 if interested)

The longer I have TTN5 running the lower the available RAM is shown in the version screen. Although it never got to the point of crashing. It went down to 0.2mb but then kept creeping up and down between 0.7 and 0.3mb When I first start TTN5 it has almost 3mb available. I just hope that TT get a fix out soon. So far I appear to be lucky. If others are managing to run their HX4700 with no problems please let us know, it may be reassuring!

It look me about 2 hours to get my GPS working Fortuna ClipOn BT. I tried the old GPS drivers and the new with all sorts of settings, and eventually it accepted a restallation of the TTN5 ones with other GPS selected, and has worked ever since.

The VGA screen support is much better it gives much better detail and the automatic zoom is normally just right, it's nice not having to try and zoom out to see a complicated road layout ahead.

I've made some replacement voice files that use a previous (version 1 or 2) english female voice, in my opinion it was the best ever voice, nice and neutral, if anyone wants my files let me know and I can email them to you. I samply installed the standard Tim voice and then edited the CHK file as advised in these forums and it work perfectly. I personally don't like the new standard female voices.

I still need to figure out how to do 2 things:

Plan a route without a GPS connection (A-B calc with a map type view)

and

Memorise current position.

Maybe I am missing something simple. If anyone can advise me on these items I would appreciate it.

Cheers,
Noony Smile
Speedster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My comments/observations RE HX4700 performance Reply with quote

Noony wrote:
I still need to figure out how to do 2 things:
Plan a route without a GPS connection (A-B calc with a map type view)
and
Memorise current position.

To memorise the current position, go to 'Add Favourite', select next screen then select GPS position.
Noony
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Speedster (living up to your name :D )

I saw the answer to my other question in another section namely:

To plan a route without GPS, just use the Plan A-B option. It's on the second menu screen if you haven't modified the menu structure.
Obiwan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried changing to wired GPS on com 8

Deinstalled Navigator BT

The situation improved but eventually the lockup came

I hear that TT THINKS it's to do with the BT driver but they're not sure!

Theys seem to be concentrating their efforts on their main product the GO

I see that's up to 5.2 already - that speaks volumes!
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: TT Response Reply with quote

From Tom Tom >

Dear Mr. King,

Yes, we are currently looking into issues with the iPAQ 4700, and hope can offer an update soon. Unfortunately I can't offer you a concrete timeline for this, but our development team is working hard on this.

Please keep an eye on our website for new updates.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
shagnasty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Navigator 5 and HX4700 Reply with quote

I too have upgraded to ver 5 and initially had the problems with the map freezing after some time. I noticed that the voice commentary was still running in the background. So have changed the view from Portrait to Landscape. Main Mene page 1 > change Preferences>Forward to Page6 and Rotate Screen.
Have now tested this on ten journies over 2 hours in length without any map problems. The only difficulty is that after closing down Navigator the HX4700 will not switch off....needs a soft reset.
Have told TomTom who said that they are working on a fix. The above solution might help some for the interim period
Good luck

S
pward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: A workaround...! Reply with quote

There's now a workaround for the lockups and freezing on exit problems - have a look at the following thread:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=23257

It's not for the completely fainthearted as it involves actually modifying (very slightly) the TTN5 main executable. The slight catch is that the the modification involves running TTN5 in QVGA mode, so the app does not look quite as pretty, but it DOES work. I've had a demo route running for over an hour now on my 4700 and it still has the same amount of memory free as it did when it started.
Obiwan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very sorry to have to report that having carried out the fix
my 4700 is running here beside me on my desk and the
memory is slowly counting down just as it did before.

Poo.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote "I've had a demo route running for over an hour now on my 4700 and it still has the same amount of memory free as it did when it started." - beware of using this as a trial due to you not needing GPS for demo, if the GPS is bluetooth and the memory leak is in that part of the code then it will work fine, does anyone know does vs5 work ok on a 4700 with a wired GPS - had a read through the thread and it seams hit and miss as to what works with what? - Mike
Obiwan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone I know is testing wired GPS's with it this weekend i'll know more tomorrow.

Also, with mine the 'fix' solves the exit hang OK.

But as I reported last night after fixing, the 4700 counted down the memory and locked in the usual way, however this morning it's been sitting by me all day running GPS (admittedly not moving) and the memory has remained stable!?!?

Your guess is as good as mine?
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines worked perfectly with the "fix"

I actually prefer the screen after this fix - I can see the compass and read the information at the bottom - and 2d navigator mode is now useable!!!
Obiwan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right, mine seems fine now but i'll reserve judgement until after a few long journeys - it's appeared 'fixed' before then all turned to rat s--t.

You're bang on about the resolution - it does help a lot when you're driving, you can actually read stuff at a glance.

Maybe they'll take all this into account when they sort it out?

Some hope.
dingo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have applied temporary workaround/fix and fingers crossed its fine, it held up after 3 hours with no freezing or exit hang up’s. Although personally I preferred the screen before but I am happy to make do until a permanent fix comes along.

Would it be an idea for more people to request a fix from tt in the hope that it might get to the top of what must be an ever-growing list. What is the best email address to send it to?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: