Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigating across countries
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigating across countries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crowe99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Navigating across countries Reply with quote

Hi,

This may be a simple one but I am never sure with TomTom.

If I am navigating from Geneva to somewhere in France for example, do I have to chose my route to the border, stop, change maps and then navigate to my destination - or is there an easier way to do it?

I am going on holiday to France and as I will be in the Alps I was thinking of visiting Italy as well but if navigating across borders is a real challenge I might limit my driving!

Cheers.

Rob.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends which TTG you have and which maps you are using.

If you have TTG Classic you can use MRE to navigate close to your intended destination, and by changing maps, with street level detail when using the two country maps.

If you have upgraded to V5 maps, these have a single country map, at street level, with a combined MRE intergrated into it. This is what is known as a Plus map and gives seamless street level in the country map to a point near to your intended destination without any changing.

If you have a TTG 300 with the basic map this has no MRE only the single country map.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was being frustrated by that very thing a month ago :x

The sort of workaround I ended up with was to plan the route with the Major roads of Europe map. Note the border crossing. Switch to the detail map of the first country and use the border crossing as a destination. Almost all the crossings are listed as "Frontier Crossings" in the built in PoI list.

You will need a big card for all the maps though. I have a 1GB card with GB, MRE, Benelux, Germany, France, Switzerland and Austria on it. There is be no room for Italy unless I remove one of the other maps (Austria?)
DocL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgould wrote:
I was being frustrated by that very thing a month ago :x

The sort of workaround I ended up with was to plan the route with the Major roads of Europe map. Note the border crossing. Switch to the detail map of the first country and use the border crossing as a destination. Almost all the crossings are listed as "Frontier Crossings" in the built in PoI list.

You will need a big card for all the maps though. I have a 1GB card with GB, MRE, Benelux, Germany, France, Switzerland and Austria on it. There is be no room for Italy unless I remove one of the other maps (Austria?)

I've done that with the old maps, and also tried using MRoE for the route, but there are far fewer helpful voice prompts on motorways when using MRoE.

The new Plus maps are much bigger; I've thus far only got GB (208Mb), Benelux (165Mb) and France (347Mb) Plus maps on a 1Gb card and there's only 256Mb left and I've yet to add ANY POI's etc.!! (not activated yet; no code from TT!!)

Do I need every map to be a Plus map, or will one Plus map do for all the other countries??
Crowe99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the information.

I have MoWE and I haven't got the v5 upgraded maps yet so I will have to make do with the swapping maps way! I suppose I could use MS Autoroute to figure out where I want to be crossing the border!
smallfreak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DocL wrote:
Do I need every map to be a Plus map, or will one Plus map do for all the other countries??

The GO can use one single "map" at a time. You can easily navigate from a street-level destination of country A to a village in coutry B if you have installed the A+ map. To get routed to a certain house number in country B, you have to switch to the detailed map of B first. You may drive around in B with the B map, but it won't lead you anywhere outside B, so for the journey home you would have to switch to A+, which routes you via the major roads of B cross the border to A and further to a distinct house number in A.

If you need a detailed city map within B on your way home to A, you still have to split the route:
1) Use map B on your way out of the city to a "major road" or up to the border
2) switch card to A+
3) along the major roads to A with detailed naviation support once you crossed the border to A again

If country A and B do not share a border, you need at least one "plus" map that will bring you to the destination country. Any one is OK, but this will not keep you from swapping maps.

To route house-to-house from country A to B you need a combined map of these two countries, like "Benelux", "Alps", "DACHCZPL" or "Scandinavia". It is not possible to make your own combination like "France + Germany" or "GB + Italy + MRE".

While this is only nasty but manageable, I do find this absolutely idiotic. That's why I wait for the GO 700 that has one contiguous map of "entire Europe". I probably never will really need duch a big routable area, but I'm not going to raise my blood pressure just because someone at TT is unable to count the available map files.
DocL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smallfreak wrote:
DocL wrote:

The GO can use one single "map" at a time. You can easily navigate from a street-level destination of country A to a village in coutry B if you have installed the A+ map. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . .
While this is only nasty but manageable, I do find this absolutely idiotic. That's why I wait for the GO 700 that has one contiguous map of "entire Europe". I probably never will really need duch a big routable area, but I'm not going to raise my blood pressure just because someone at TT is unable to count the available map files.

Thanks S-F, as it says in the song, "I think I've got it!"

For my purposes, and as I'm now used to switching maps, I think I'll go with the France+ map, and all the other contiguous countries, like Benelux, Germany, and 'Alps' countries etc. and maybe Iberia, I'll use non-plus maps, so I can get more maps on the 1Gb card.

I agree "While this is only nasty but manageable, I do find this absolutely idiotic."

Surely it should be possible, with sensible software, for Tom Tom to do what they do now, with just one loaded 'MRoE map'!
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better still, as many of us have been asking, why not allow linking the detail maps to eachother as you install them?
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, for now, a 20 mile overlap at each border would make the map more usable.. Give you a chance to identify where you are on the new map as you cross the border.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: