Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Aldi - Medion MD95900 - MDPNA200S
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Aldi - Medion MD95900 - MDPNA200S
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrRee4U
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Aldi - Medion MD95900 - MDPNA200S Reply with quote

Aldi - Medion MD95900 - MDPNA200S

Cracked access to the WinCE OS

It is not completely the same procedure as on the Navigon pna but it is very close which is where i started from. Many many thanks to GpsPasSion for the info !

1. Create a folder on your local PC \MedionGPS

2. Download the additional files required here:
http://www.gpspassion.com/download/custom150e.zip
and place it in the \MedionGPS folder

3. Unzip the files contained in the custom150e.zip file into the folder \MedionGPS (still on your local PC)

4. Now Connect the MDPNA200S to your PC via ActiveSync and click 'explore'

5. Copy 'regedit.exe' from the \MedionGPS folder and paste into the devices \Windows\programs folder

6. Copy 'modified.reg' into the 'Medion' folder on the device

7. Copy 'showtaskbar.exe' into the devices \windows\startup folder

8. Soft Reset your device using the stylus (unscrew the end of the stylus to reveal the reset pin!)

When the MDPNA200S reboots it will automatically launch the taskbar, (but the Medion application is also still running.)

9. On the medion now, tap 'start' then 'programs' then 'regedit'
(the registry editor application is now open.

10. Click 'File' then 'Import' This opens a browser window, browse to the 'Medion' folder and double tap on the file we placed there a short while ago called 'modified.reg' Now close the regedit program.

11. Soft Reset your device using the stylus (unscrew the end of the stylus to reveal the reset pin!) You have a start / task bar and no Medion application running.

{{ Nearly there only a few more things to do }}

12. On your PC in the active sync - explore window - Locate Setting.exe in the 'Medion' folder, right-click and select 'Create Shortcut'. Copy the 'Shortcut to Setting.exe' file that is created as a result and paste into \Windows\Desktop. Repeat this process for 'MNAVDECE.exe' also located in the 'Medion' folder and 'MP3Player.exe' located in \Windows

Finally, reset your device once more with the stylus and it will boot to the WinCE desktop with shortcuts to the three applications you had before. If you hold your stylus at the bottom left of the screen on the thin grey bar the WinCE taskbar will appear and you will gain access to the standard WinCE apps.

Good Luck.

=====================================

If anyone can help me now with the POI database import for Speed Cams Etc, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
Laughing
MrRee4U
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost forget --

After you run the Mapping program then exit the program, the taskbar is gone. There are two things you can do, a soft reset (Taskbar is back) or better than that :-

12. On your PC in the active sync - explore window - Locate Setting.exe in the 'Medion' folder, right-click and select 'Create Shortcut'. Copy the 'Shortcut to Setting.exe' file that is created as a result and paste into \Windows\Desktop. Repeat this process for 'MNAVDECE.exe' also located in the 'Medion' folder and 'MP3Player.exe' located in \Windows.

Which you've done NOW ALSO ADD

On your PC in the active sync - explore window - Locate 'showtaskbar.exe' into the \windows\startup folder, right-click and select 'Create Shortcut'. Copy the 'Shortcut to showtaskbar.exe' file that is created as a result and paste into \Windows\Desktop.

Now when you come out of mapping, just click the showtaskbar shortcut.

Have fun
itxweather
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrRee4U wrote:
Almost forget --

After you run the Mapping program then exit the program, the taskbar is gone. There are two things you can do, a soft reset (Taskbar is back) or better than that :-

12. On your PC in the active sync - explore window - Locate Setting.exe in the 'Medion' folder, right-click and select 'Create Shortcut'. Copy the 'Shortcut to Setting.exe' file that is created as a result and paste into \Windows\Desktop. Repeat this process for 'MNAVDECE.exe' also located in the 'Medion' folder and 'MP3Player.exe' located in \Windows.

Which you've done NOW ALSO ADD

On your PC in the active sync - explore window - Locate 'showtaskbar.exe' into the \windows\startup folder, right-click and select 'Create Shortcut'. Copy the 'Shortcut to showtaskbar.exe' file that is created as a result and paste into \Windows\Desktop.

Now when you come out of mapping, just click the showtaskbar shortcut.

Have fun

Hi,

The GPSpassion/Your step by step guide is a good reference imho. Have you managed to get POIs onto your PNA?. What is the WindowsCE operating system like compared to the Pocket PC operating system in terms of user-friendliness and speed?. Can't find the dimensions of the screen on the Aldi PNA to compare with something like an Acer n35 or Medion 168, do you know where detailed spec's can be found at all please?.

Best Regards.

http://www.itx-weather.co.uk
shaun_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the info. did mine straight away following your guide :D cheers
SteadyEddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you managed to get POI onto your Medion?
shaun_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i havnt yet. havnt tried to be honest.gonna give it a whirl soon
shaun_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just tried it, copys across to device ok but when i try to install it it says cant find it with a error message.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaun_uk wrote:
just tried it, copys across to device ok but when i try to install it it says cant find it with a error message.

Have a look at this post

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=22220
itxweather
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Help?. No GPS Satellites found :-(. Reply with quote

Hi,

Been to Aldi and bought one of their PNA/GPS units. Factory sealed etc.. powered-up, Navigon Software loaded from MMC but no GPS Satellites have been found :-(.

Soft-booted and Hard-booted without any avail.

Walked around a little, still no GPS Satellites found :-(.

Have Aldi sold a d.o.a. unit (just my luck if they have :-( )?.

Does the GPS not work unless the rechargeable batteries have had an initial charge?. Manual doesn't give a lot of suggestions/guidance imho.

GPS Receiver is being detected however message says no GPS Satellites found due to signal being impaired or receiver being initialised (15-20 minutes after powering-up and the same message is shown :-( ).

Update, GPS has been switched on for about 30-mins. 3 and 4 Satellites are being found although the number found is changing from 3, 4 and none :-(.

Help?.

Any suggestions/offers of help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards.

pixor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me if I'm suggesting the obvious, but have you flipped the aerial out? Also, if your car has an anti-refective coating on the windscreen, it can impede the signal. Also, if you are inside a building with a lot of metal in it, that can cause problems too. Mine took a while to lock-on initially, but it seems quick to find the satellites now I'm using it.
xspartx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these last week too.

Am I missing something or does the software not allow you to choose a street number?

Bit disappointing if it doesn't.
MrRee4U
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Street Number Reply with quote

It does.

Town in the top box, street in the next one, then just to the right of street there's a little box, this is for street number. 8O
itxweather
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pixor wrote:
Forgive me if I'm suggesting the obvious, but have you flipped the aerial out? Also, if your car has an anti-refective coating on the windscreen, it can impede the signal. Also, if you are inside a building with a lot of metal in it, that can cause problems too. Mine took a while to lock-on initially, but it seems quick to find the satellites now I'm using it.

Hi Pixor,

Thank you for your reply. Had flipped-out the antenna, tried both inside a building and outside a building and still no GPS satellites were being found. Seems to be picking up some GPS satellites at my home though. Doesn't seem to be as responsive as the Acer n35 that i'd sent back to the suppliers due to the fact that they failed to honour their part of a bundle deal to supply with a £29.99 leather case, Acer n35 used to pick up 3-4 often 6 GPS satellites but perhaps not at same location. Guess I need to play with GPS a little more prior to concluding it's d.o.a.

Best Regards.

pixor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pixor,

Thank you for your reply. Had flipped-out the antenna, tried both inside a building and outside a building and still no GPS satellites were being found. Seems to be picking up some GPS satellites at my home though. Doesn't seem to be as responsive as the Acer n35 that i'd sent back to the suppliers due to the fact that they failed to honour their part of a bundle deal to supply with a £29.99 leather case, Acer n35 used to pick up 3-4 often 6 GPS satellites but perhaps not at same location. Guess I need to play with GPS a little more prior to concluding it's d.o.a.

Best Regards.[/quote]

It sounds like you have a problem - I get 7 or 8 satellites within 20 or 30 seconds.
flogger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: GPS Maps - Help please! Reply with quote

Hi all, I have one of those Aldi machines and have no problem with signal at all. I would like ti know is it is possible to upgrade the map of (rural) Ireland. The city maps are good but only main roads throughout the rest of the country. Is it possible to use maps that I already have on my PC (Route planner etc;) with this unit. There is space on the card for them but are they the correct format. Jimmy.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: