Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie with GPS needs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie with GPS needs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
floridadan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Newbie with GPS needs Reply with quote

Hello to ALL. I wanted to say hello and tell you what a great site this is. I have been lurking Twisted Evil for a little while as I get ready to purchase a GPS. My main interest is in getting a device that will be usable while in England while on vacation this fall that can also work here in the states. If any of you are rolling yours eyes at that need, I hope you see how much of a newbie I am. I don't even know if that was a stupid factor in choosing my unit or not. Either way I am glad to be hear and i look forward to all of your expertise and opinions. Thanks for being there.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi floridadan,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

floridadan wrote:
My main interest is in getting a device that will be usable while in England while on vacation this fall that can also work here in the states

The first question is what do you want to do with the GPS unit? Do you wish to have a full-blown SatNav system for a car? Do you want an electronic topographical map for walking? Do you just want a basic handheld GPS unit to use with paper maps?

If you want to go walking, or to do a bit of geocaching, then any current unit from the Garmin range will do. Make sure that it can display the right position formats and use the right map datum (in England when using paper maps you’ll need British Grid for the position format, and ORD SRVY GB [1936] for the datum). The excellent range of Landranger (1:50,000) and Explorer (1:25,000) paper maps from Ordnance Survey are very good.

If you want SatNav, you’ll need to go for either the PDA based option (with software and GPS receiver) or the PND (Personal Navigation Device) option such as the TomTom Go range.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
floridadan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,
Thanks a million for the response. I appreciate it.

The first question is what do you want to do with the GPS unit? Do you wish to have a full-blown SatNav system for a car? Do you want an electronic topographical map for walking? Do you just want a basic handheld GPS unit to use with paper maps?
I want to have something portable that I can walk around town and know where I am at all time. Being in a forgeing country, I want to be able to know where i am at all times and of course pre-plot some points of interest before hand and on the way.
When I get home, I want to be able to use it in a similar fashion, but I will use it mostly in the outdoors as I will take it with me hunting and fishing.

Robert from your response I have these questions:
1. What is geocaching?
2. Will an American bought garmin have any issue in the UK?
3. Do you recommend any specific model over another?
4. What is satnav?

Thanks for putting up with me. Danny
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Danny,

floridadan wrote:
1. What is geocaching?

"Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache". The above was taken from the Geocaching website.

floridadan wrote:
2. Will an American bought garmin have any issue in the UK?

All Garmin (or any other manufacturer’s) units will give you your exact (to within 5 to 15 metres) position anywhere on the planet. You will also be able to select the way the coordinates are displayed (Longitude and Latitude, GB format, etc) and you’ll be able to select the correct map datum that relates to the paper map that you have. Where things get tricky for USA vs European models is the base map on the more advanced models that have built in maps. The best thing to do is find a retailer that sells GPS receivers and check if additional maps can be installed.

floridadan wrote:
3. Do you recommend any specific model over another?

It depends on your exact requirements, and which is your main priority. The Garmin eTrex Vista C, for US$428.56 may be something to look at for a benchmark

floridadan wrote:
4. What is satnav?

Satellite Navigation. I have a PDA, GPS receiver, and TomTom software, that when used in the car allows me to navigate around the country.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: