Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HELP!! - Go 300 just purchased, can't backup or upgrade maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP!! - Go 300 just purchased, can't backup or upgrade maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laptop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: HELP!! - Go 300 just purchased, can't backup or upgrade maps Reply with quote

Please Help,

I have today purchased a TomTom Go 300 from Dixons, all was well, unit works fine but has it is running ver 5.0 software, I thought I would upgrade this afternoon to ver 5.1 and put the speed camera software on.

But no,

Firstly the pc's I am using (tried 2, laptop and desktop) are both running
Windows 2000 Pro SP4.

When I connect the USB lead both machines reconise the unit as drive e.

If I try to click on E to backup the SD card, nothing happens get My Computer not responding message.

If I try to backup from CD supplied with unit get as far as clicking right arrow to state unit is on and connected and then screen disappears with nothing happening, if I unplug usb lead it complains.

Tried to update to ver 5.1 downloaded both exe and zip files, ran setup as tom tom advised, after 1 hour still nothing.

If I can't access the SD card how can I download the speed camera info ?.

I have left unit for 2 hours connected to power adapter in car to fully charge battery but no different.

Any help much apprieated.

Ian.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have turned the GO on as well as plugging it in?

It should appear as "removable drive" and open as such.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look at eh sd card there should be a little tab on the side if you it shloud say locked on it try moving the tab to the unlocked position

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
laptop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go 300 is on, on the go screen I see picture of back of unit with a red x showing not to pull the usb cable out, also a picture of a blue sd card.

The card is the original tomtom go GB blue 128mb card, I have tried the white tab in both the up and down position, no markings to say which is right protected.

I assume the card is OK as the tom tom unit works fine, except for PC access.

Any more help greatfully received
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try a different USB lead next. Have you got another mini USB? They are common on digital cameras.
spikebmth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be the windows version that is causing the conflict...

Mine worked fine on XP home.

When you do get the TTG 300 showing as a removable drive, ensure the first thing you do is copy entire contents to a directary on your C drive...

Also i found that with speed camera database/POI installed the 128 card is so full, it couldn't take on 5 new voices!

I'd say get a bigger (256) card, and copy entire contents of backup folder on to it, before adding too much.
clandyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,
Being a Win2000 Pro user I thought I'd just give my TTG another 'connect' to see for you.

Pc switched on (in Windows Explorer); TTG switched off; Plug in USB cable to TTG; Plug into Pc; Switch on TTG.
Display on TTG shows back of unit with Red cross through Black arrow; Blue SD card icon flashes for a while then disappears. Windows Explorer then refreshes and shows Removable Disk. Select a few files from TTG and Copy then paste into new Folder on Pc. All files copied OK and SC card icon on TTG flashes for a while after copy finished.

All this was with TTG running off internal battery.

A couple of things occur to me:
Is the USB cable properly inserted into TTG? First time I thought mine was but it needed a firm push to get it to seat.
Did you follow the above sequence (ie not attach TTG when it was powered up)
Has your Pc got USB 2 or USB 1 socket (mine is USB2)

Hope you get it sorted PDQ.

ATB,

Andy
clandyuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....and by the way, Ian, you cannot backup the SD card via the CD on a TTG300.
The SD card itself is the only repository of the Map, so it has to be backed up to a Pc by copying and pasting ALL the files on the SD card.

ATB

Andy
trooper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the TTG screen the picture of back of unit with a red x and also a picture of a blue sd card, means that your PC is trying to read the SD Card via the USB cable. You should NOT disconnect the USB cable at this stage otherwise you may corrupt your SD Card.
You should switch off TTG before disconnecting or use the Safely Remove Hardware icon (if running Windows XP).
laptop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions above. Today I have tried following,

2nd USB cable same fault, returned unit to Dixons and exchanged. Had to do this twice as first unit kept turning itself off on way home, even when showing full battery and with car adapter plugged in.

3rd unit, tried on 4 PC's all running Win2000 Pro, same fault on all units,
they reconise GO is connected, even lists as GO in device manager and usb mass storage, in MY Computer shows as drive e:, removable drive but when you click on the drive the machines lock up.

NOW the good news, next door neighbour also has a Windows 2000 Pro SP4 machine, connected to his with same cables it works OK, so I have backup up my sd card (full backup to PC), and upgraded to 5.1 and loaded the speed camera database on.

ON that note can somebody help me with two questions,

Any idea what his PC might have loaded that the other 4 don't. (used mixture of USB 1.1 and USB 2)

Also, is it possible to set up multiple messages for the speed camera setting, at the moment when I have gone upto one device at 100 yds it flashes in top left hand corner and I get it saying gatso approaching.

Thanks for all your help.

:D :D
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people load the two sets of speed cameras. The speed related set and the general set. You can then set (say) 800 yds warning on the general set and a second warning at a different distance for each speed.

You can also load the sets as many times as you like (up to the 40 PoI limit). Change the file name of the repeated .ov2 and matching .bmp so they don't overwrite eachother and you can have three or four warnings for each gatso.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laptop wrote:
ON that note can somebody help me with two questions,

Any idea what his PC might have loaded that the other 4 don't. (used mixture of USB 1.1 and USB 2)

TTG uses USB1, and USB2 units are backward compatable.

It could be the USB drivers are different in some way. Perhaps more uptodate!

To try something really different, on TomTom's site there is a USB driver for use with Win 95/98/ME. It might be worth trying to see if that will solve the problem. (Known as a wild stab in the dark) Laughing

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: