Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Workarounds for CoPilot's problems.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Workarounds for CoPilot's problems.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it's possible to post a reply mentioning ponderous's name and not get a huge reply?................................

GB
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, check out the profile, what's so wrong with piracy, the nautical kind of course!!

GB
dpdurst
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

I agree with Ako that we are divided into two camps here. There are those who think the deficiencies in the software are acceptable and those who don't.

And herein might be the problem, those that think the deficiencies in software are acceptable -- How about those that use the product that don't have this problem. I don't, never have yet it keeps being pushed that I (or others) do but don't notice it. I for one never said a problem does not exist in the UK or AUS versions, but in the US it does not. So stating the fact that we have deficiencies over here when it fact the software does work as the review stated or as the product is advertised makes no sense. From where I sit, the UK and AUS have some issues that appear to be very valid, I can't say that as I don't have those problems.

In the end your right there are 2 versions of this, those that have a problem and those that don't. Not those that have them but accept them. And even if it misrouted me a few times, how many times has windows locked up, crashed or just didn't do what it was supposed to?

Forums are great they allow interaction help with finding issues etc. But again for something as serious as the issues have been noted, the forum will not fix the problem nor will it do anything to resolve it from what I read. This really needs to be pushed at ALK themselves directly to them. Making a list here is fine, but what is that going to do for ALK? are they going to really review all this and say "gee we have a problem lets fix it!" it seems if you have a problem that can't be resolved and it works in a manner that is unacceptable, you take that issue directly to the manufacture of that product, they not any forum or anyone else is going to solve that issue.
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair comment dphurst. But therein lies another major problem as ALK do not appear to listen, do not recognise or admit that there is a problem, do not care that customers who have paid good money for a product are disatisfied, and are unwilling or unable to provide any solution.

I consider ALK's attitude to be disreputable and insulting to its customers.

Furthermore, what are the chances of an individual taking a company such as ALK to court, getting them to admit that one of their flagship products is seriously flawed, and getting recompense for it. Very slim I think.

It's hardly any wonder that people's frustrations boil over on this forum.

I for one having given notice to my retailer that I will be deactivating, uninstalling and returning my CP5 package in 6 days time for a full refund. I am still waiting to hear from them.

I actually thought that I was buying a quality application. How wrong I was.

From a very disappointed CP5 user.

Baz
dpdurst
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I will agree I have emailed their TS a few times, I have got answers 1/2 of those and the others go unanswered. So yes they do have an issue with answering/replying to there TS questions or questions in general. They could use a lesson in customer service!
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think ALK in the USA need to improve, then think yourself VERY lucky that you do not have to deal with ALK Europe ! Their 'customer-couldn't-care-less' department is appalling.

The words 'service' & 'ALK' are mutually exclusive and cannot be used in the same sentance !

Baz
Ako
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair play to you Baz, at least you are doing something about it. Let us know how you get on.

Just to correct Ponderous again, The problem and fix idea was NOT , I repeat NOT, mine. It was neil01's idea, which incidentally, I thought was a good one. The reason I have not started the thread is that I don't consider myself technically experienced enough. I just say as I see and I haven't seen the errors that a lot of others are seeing.

The chance of winning against ALK in a court case lies on proving fault and not getting them to admit it. From what I am reading in here there should be no problem with that.

For the record, I agree with the concensus of opinion of ALK customer service as I have sent 5 emails to them recently over 2 weeks and finally got a reply saying they were looking into the problem (I got the answer from Dave Burrows) and it was an error on my part. I haven't heard anything else from ALK.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpdurst wrote:
How about those that use the product that don't have this problem.

If you don't have any problem with CoPilot then fair enough. I think that many of the problems we are reporting are UK specific.

I guess that you don't have several thousand speed cameras in the USA (our government is obsessesed with them), so you wouldn't worry about the POI announcements not working but I can assure you that it's an important feature to us in the UK and it doesn't work properly.

Maybe your system doesn't hang after recalculating routes several times because your roads in the USA are far better laid out than in the UK (where they were pretty much designed by the Romans for use with horse and cart and follow some quite illogical routes). The better road engineering in the USA would probably mask the problems with it choosing bizzare routes too. Whatever the reason, the problems still exist in the UK and they are serious.

Traffic reporting functionality was promised 9 months ago but has never appeared. This was never promised as a feature in the USA which is why you don't see this as a problem. We are pretty annoyed that it has never eventuated.

There are lots of other bugs which are annoying and it seems that ALK have done nothing about it.

As other people have said, CoPilot would be an excellent product if it did what it was supposed to do. Unfortunately it doesn't live up to expectations as it is.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears from the thread Running European and U.K. areas at the same time? that ALK may at last be listening. They are now denying that Copilot 6 is due in September, and that they are still working on Copilot 5.

If this reflects the true situation, and ALK now understand that it will be good for business to look after their existing customers, then that can only be good.

Having said this, their Technical Support response has not improved, and they are still ignoring communications, so we can only hope that this is not just to fob us off.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. I must preview my posts!

In my most recent post, I meant that ALK said that they are still working on Copliot 5.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kept out of this one as I've said the same things before but.....

I will repeat one thing. I use CP5 and have very few problems that can't be sorted on the PC before travelling. Its time consuming but CP5 does a pretty good job for what I use it for. I aacpet the flaws and make allowances as I drive. But for $130 I and obviously a lot of others would expect more

HOWEVER.

I support Ponderous, Skippy and the rest in their determination to not let ALK get away with what must be, the worst support bar none for a seriously flawed product. I also support the idea of a warts and all counter review of CP5. Why not if this is a forum for honest and balanced comment, which to be fair, it usually is. Where it falls down is re-reviewing products in light of new info anf feedback, which is a shame.

Having said that and looking at TT5 forums others are in the same boat. TT5 seems to be a disaster. The answer? Keep plugging on and hope that Dave is feeding back the view of most here that ALK are rubbish and IMO stop being an American company where anything outside of US territorial waters doesn't matter.

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell you what, Topgazza, you were right about the TT5 forums. TT5 purchasers are having to face a different set of obstacles, but ones that are in many ways just as bad. How TomTom have the gall defies belief.

Does this excuse ALK? Not for a second. But it might make them so complacent that their own sorry saga continues even longer. I hope not, because TomTom's apparent mess is an opportunity for ALK. As I have said before, all they need do is get Copilot working and sort out their Tech. Support and they could walk it.

... and don't forget the 7-digit postcodes while you're at it ALK. You might conside this an enhgancement, but you need, among numerous other things, it if your pre-sales hype for Copilot 5 is to be matched by performance.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could get back to work arounds please

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. I'm of the opinion that none of the workarounds work. Some fix part of a problem but uncover others. My workaround is to use the PC to plan a trip in detail using waypoints to force CP5 to take a route it would otherwise ignore. I'm not talking about real basic stuff like ignore M25 to go from Reading to Coventry. Once you are in the general area of your destination CP5 can take over to its hearts content, it useualy gets you there in that respect.

Its the only workaround that , well, works. Its also the only saving grace, such as it is, for CP5.

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planning the trip on the PC does sort out the routing problems and I do sometimes plan the trip on the PC in advance if I want to take the scenic route. I am not sure that you can easily plan multiple trips on the PC and save them all in CoPilot though. Anyone know how Confused

All that aside, there are times when I need to be able to just enter a destination and trust that I will be give a reasonable route without having to double check everything.

A work around to the problems with the "Quickest" routes is to use Shortest instead. Although it doesn't actually give the shortest route, it does produce far better routes than "Quickest".

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 6 of 17

Jump to: