Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New to TomTom issues with vias&Postcodes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New to TomTom issues with vias&Postcodes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arthurharding
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: New to TomTom issues with vias&Postcodes Reply with quote

Hi

Hoping for some help please

I have just brought tomtom nav2 ( have upgraded via your link) and using ipac and a socket bluetooth gps unit

I did have a compac satnav unit but I never had any luck with it IE took 20/30 mins to get a fix and then vanished again

I still have it if someone wanys to buy it!!!

My problem is that on the tomtom I can not see how to do "vias" IE set a route from say Lincoln to go via leeds and then onto manchester

If I use the tom tom to find say a street in Manchester it will always tell me to go via small roads being the shortest journey but indeed the longest in time.

I would like to be able to say go from Lincoln to A1 then get on the M62 etc etc

ALSo

Post codes??

I looked at the manual on the cd and it seems to say that if I enter in the CITY box my post code ( 3 digits) it will find it!! My starting post code is NG34 so I tried NG3 but it seems to find somewhere other than where I live ( Lincolnshire Ruskington near Sleaford) can anyone help

I seem to be getting on really well with the blutooth adaptor and it even works in my house. I leave the gps unit connected to the 12volt supply in the car all the time and find that when I take the compaq unit into my house it still picks up a signal from the car about 10 metres away

Hope you can help me
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: New to TomTom issues with vias&Postcodes Reply with quote

Navigator does not support vias, though I have to say I've never quite understood the point of them anyway - why not just plan your route to Leeds, and then once you have finished there, plan a new route to Manchester? If you use the Navigator screens "Navigate to" function rather than the route planner in the map screen, you don't have to set a departure point, it just plans from where you are now, or from your last known location if there is no fix.

However, lots of people want vias, so I'm obviously missing the point, and I think the GPS Assist add on adds a point to point function like you describe.

Re route planning, my copy nearly always finds a route using fast roads first. Make sure you have the route type set to "quickest" rather than "shortest". If you get a route you are not happy with, just tell it to calculate an alternative route, and it will try to avoid as much of it's original attempt as possible. Keep doing that 'till you get a route you like! Alternatively (and more logically in practise), set your destination, turn off navigation, drive the part of the route you know (you obviously do know it - you told us which route you want to take!), and then turn navigation on when you get to unfamiliar ground. TTN will then plan a route from there.

Post code searching does NOT work the way TomTom first advertised it, and describe it in the manual, for the UK. You have to enter the city and street manually, and then just use the post code suffix to make sure you don't choose the wrong road out of several with the same name. Quite honestly TTN2 does not deliver what was promised in this respect, but I've contacted them and they have no plans to do any better.

Mark

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: