Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database - changing directional sensitivity?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database - changing directional sensitivity?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imacken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Speed Camera Database - changing directional sensitivity? Reply with quote

Just got my TTG700 and put on the Speed Camera database from this site. I was wondering if there was any way of making it directionally sensitive like my Road Angel. At the moment both sides of the carriageway are detected making things a little awkward.
I'm not meaning to moan as it is a fantastic set of data to get free, but I only wondered!
Ugly-Kid-Joe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the menu under Manage POI there should be a tick box that say "Warn only on route" tick this for all you speed cameras. That should do the trick
imacken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately not. I already had that ticked. Being 'on route' is obviously not directionally sensitive in the database, either side of the road will do. Very annoying because you get 2 warnings in fairly short succession and it is not clear at the time what side of the road is relevant!
Ugly-Kid-Joe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah wasn't to sure, i surpose because the go sanps to a road it takes in both carriage ways as being on route. I don't think there is anything else you can do. Unless anyone else has the answers. Confused
imacken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road Angel is smart enough to detect what side of the road is relevant, so why not TTG?
HairyBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road Angel is designed for the purpose of Safety Camera notification.

With Go the speed camera database simply utilises the "Point of Interest" facility which was primarily designed to alert the user to Hospitals, petrol stations, etc. which are relavent when travelling in either direction on a road.

Maybe in future software releases TomTom will build in a speed camera bolt-on (which doesn't use the POI facility) which will be more direction sensitive as it will be designed specifically for the purpose. Until then the only way to get the cameras on your Go is using the POI data.
imacken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not so sure.
Here is a quote from the Tomtom manual in reference to the 'on route' option:
'You'd typically only tick this for items that have to be on the roadside and in your direction of travel. For example, petrol stations, as there's no point in warning you if they're on the opposite carriageway or in a parallel road.'
Same thing applies to cameras, does it not?
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imacken wrote:
Well, I'm not so sure.
Here is a quote from the Tomtom manual in reference to the 'on route' option:
'You'd typically only tick this for items that have to be on the roadside and in your direction of travel. For example, petrol stations, as there's no point in warning you if they're on the opposite carriageway or in a parallel road.'
Same thing applies to cameras, does it not?

Yes it does. The TTG 'knows' which carriageway you are on. If you're getting alerts for cameras on the opposite carriageway of a dual carriageway, either the camera POI is wrong, or you aren't set up properly for 'on route' warnings.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imacken wrote:
Unfortunately not. I already had that ticked. Being 'on route' is obviously not directionally sensitive in the database, either side of the road will do. Very annoying because you get 2 warnings in fairly short succession and it is not clear at the time what side of the road is relevant!

The Warn when on Route seems to limit at about 15 yards, left and right, and as far forward as your warning distance.

If the Warn when on Route is not ticked it will pick up POI in a semi-circle, left-forward-right , in your direction of travel at the range of your warning distance.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
imacken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,
All I know is that this is what happens:
I have got the 'on route' checked correctly for the cameras POI.
TTG correctly identifies the camera nearest to my home in the direction I'm travelling in, BUT a few seconds later, it sets off a warning again for the one at the same (approximate) location on the opposite side.
Iain
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imacken wrote:
Richard,
All I know is that this is what happens:
I have got the 'on route' checked correctly for the cameras POI.
TTG correctly identifies the camera nearest to my home in the direction I'm travelling in, BUT a few seconds later, it sets off a warning again for the one at the same (approximate) location on the opposite side.
Iain

This is fine as the POI is on your route (you do not mention that it is a dual carriageway) and exactly how the system was designed to work. See my article on TomTom GO POIs for a more detailed description.

POIs do not have any concept of direction ie if there is a camera situated in the centre of the road thare is no way to tell the POI database which way it is facing. Not only that but some of the POIs will have been recorded on the wrong side of the road therefore appearing to be on the correct side.

This brings back an interesting discussion that we had some time ago about "false" warnings. My point of view is that any warning is just that a warning to check your speed. It is really a bit mute as to which way the camera is facing as you are using the database to ensure that you know where the accident blackspots are. If they put a camera on one side of a road it is safe to assume that the danger exists on both sides. Or are the Partnerships just collecting money?
imacken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Now you've totally confused me!
In your post, you say 'POIs do not have any concept of direction ie if there is a camera situated in the centre of the road thare is no way to tell the POI database which way it is facing.'
Yet, in the article you wrote, you say '(1) if the on-route is set, only POI that are on your route, on YOUR side of the road, are included'.
Why is it then correct for TTG to detect both the cameras on my side of the road as well as those on the right hand side when the 'on route' option is ticked?
Iain
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are quoting from the TomTom devopment director not me.

I state in the article
Quote:
A feature of the software I tested was the POI being "on route". I did find this a problem with some POIs.

The reason for this is that when traveling down a dual carriageway the POI is recorded from the other side of the road, or in some cases where there are 2 cameras on opposite sides of the road the database only has one recorded.

Why would this matter? Well TomTom checks the route for POIs in the case where the POI is recorded and showing on the wrong side of the carriageway then it is deemed not to be on route. i.e. more than the warning distance away. Therefore you are not warned. This didn't happen very often, but is a cause for concern.

Another example of failed warnings is when the POI is recorded a distance from the road. Again the software does not see this as being "on route"

TomTom regards a dual carraigeway as 2 distinct roads, both of which are one way. Therefore if a poi is on the otherside of the dual carriageway and cannot be reached via a turnoff within a few yards then it is not on route. I hope that makes sense.
imacken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Are you saying that the 'on route' option will work on dual carriageways, but not on other roads?
The case I mentioned earlier is on a 3 lane 2-way single carriageway.
Why is this sort of thing not a problem for my Road Angel?
Thanks
Iain
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imacken wrote:
Mike,
Now you've totally confused me!
In your post, you say 'POIs do not have any concept of direction ie if there is a camera situated in the centre of the road thare is no way to tell the POI database which way it is facing.'
Yet, in the article you wrote, you say '(1) if the on-route is set, only POI that are on your route, on YOUR side of the road, are included'.
Why is it then correct for TTG to detect both the cameras on my side of the road as well as those on the right hand side when the 'on route' option is ticked?
Iain

The TomTom has a corridor of perception that is some 30 yards wide. This is to allow for inaccuracies in POI placement, perhaps a mis-alignment in the road, or a road adjustment.

If TT sees that a POI is within 15 yards approx. of your road (carriageway), it will assume that it's on your route. On a bridge over your route, a POI will still be seen, as TT has no concept of altitude either, even if it doesn't cover your route.

In the camera context TT would not be aware of the function of it, but only that it was within it's scan range.

If you made the 'corridor' any narrower it would possibly miss POI's.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: