Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom V5 Upgrade - Update & Bad News...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom V5 Upgrade - Update & Bad News...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: TomTom V5 Upgrade - Update & Bad News... Reply with quote

Just received the following update from TomTom in summary...

* TomTom have delayed the upgrade.
* There will be no free upgrade for any customer regardless of purchase date.

Due to this now being a chargeable upgrade which is not going to start until June, taking into account delivery times, its unlikely any customer will see V5 before mid-end June.

It may also mean that European customer will have to pay for the upgrade whereas US customer may receive the upgrade for free, this is based on another forum post.

Dear Mr Speedcam,

Thank you for your question regarding the TomTom Upgrade procedure. Shortly TomTom will release an upgrade for all TomTom users at a discounted price, hereby allowing TomTom users to enjoy the new benefits of their navigation system. TomTom appreciates that there are certain TomTom users who have recently purchased their TomTom and are understandably frustrated at the prospect of paying again for an upgrade, may we reassure you that the upgrade will be beneficial to all users, old and new. Please note the TomTom licence agreement states that ‘the use of any updates or upgrades of the software is governed by the licence and maybe subject to additional payment’.

If you wish to upgrade any of your TomTom software whether it be TomTom Go, TomTom Navigator 2 or 3 for Palm or Pocket Pc, TomTom Navigation Pack or your TomTom Mobile, then may we ask if you could keep an eye on our website www.tomtom.com for any information regarding release dates, prices, processes and compatibility. This Upgrade should be available soon (end of May, beginning of June 2005). Please note that there will be no hardware upgrade only a software upgrade.

TomTom Customer Support looks forward to supporting you during the upcoming upgrade process.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedcam,

I have to say, this is probably the longest and most elequent TomTom reply I have ever seen.

On the contents of your reply, "Feck!" as Father Ted would say.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you Simon I was very surprised by the reply, however their reply still didn't answer my original questions as to when and how much the upgrade would be.

I'm very mistified why TomTom are keeping this such a secret even if they are still bug fixing, regardless of what state the code is they must know how much they will be charging. Now they have confirmed it is a chargeable upgrade they will also have to release the code to manufacturing ie CD creation and packaging.
Dazeck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I questioned them also about the upgrade at got the following :

Quote:

Thank you for your question regarding the TomTom Upgrade procedure. Shortly TomTom will release an upgrade for all TomTom users at a discounted price, hereby allowing TomTom users to enjoy the new benefits of their navigation system. TomTom appreciates that there are certain TomTom users who have recently purchased their TomTom and are understandably frustrated at the prospect of paying again for an upgrade, may we reassure you that the upgrade will be beneficial to all users, old and new. Please note the TomTom licence agreement states that ‘the use of any updates or upgrades of the software is governed by the licence and maybe subject to additional payment’.

If you wish to upgrade any of your TomTom software whether it be TomTom Go, TomTom Navigator 2 or 3 for Palm or Pocket Pc, TomTom Navigation Pack or your TomTom Mobile, then may we ask if you could keep an eye on our website www.tomtom.com for any information regarding release dates, prices, processes and compatibility. This Upgrade should be available soon (end of May, beginning of June 2005). Please note that there will be no hardware upgrade only a software upgrade.

The product TomTom Navigator 5 is already available at our Retailers'.

TomTom Customer Support looks forward to supporting you during the upcoming upgrade process.

Thing to note is the line about TomTom Navigator 5 already being available at Retailers, yet the upgrade is now slipping to June.

I purchase TomTom 3 a month ago, knowing there was a very good chance I'd have to pay, a slight possibility I might get the upgrade for free but I was willing to pay the upgrade as I'm doing quite a bit of travelling in June and needed the latest TomTom. Looks like it might be tight on whether I get it or not now, in hindsight I should of waited and just purchased version 5 now.

Darren
andyjenkins
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
Now they have confirmed it is a chargeable upgrade they will also have to release the code to manufacturing ie CD creation and packaging.

How so? Companies can quite easily release pricing structure with no product available if they choose.

Dazeck wrote:
Thing to note is the line about TomTom Navigator 5 already being available at Retailers ...

Definatley! Anyone seen any retailers?

No, I didnt think so either. Crying or Very sad
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dazeck wrote:
Thing to note is the line about TomTom Navigator 5 already being available at Retailers ...

whats the betting that retailers orders are "captured at Warehouse"

and will stay there!

Looks like in typical tomtom upgrade/new release fashion they have spent to much time at the coffee house (and if I lived in Amsterdam so would I) Me Me Me

Ian
Lorax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The product TomTom Navigator 5 is already available at our Retailers.

Well, I just ordered TomTom Nav3 yesterday!!! If it is available at retailers I couldn't find it!!! No one is selling it as far as I could see. Otherwise I would have got it instead of Nav3.

I knew it would come out the moment I decided to give up waiting and get Nav3!!

Lorax
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect Mr Tomtom is doing this to stop things like the postcode file fiasco with the GO. no update free. no copying of the post code file.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clivers wrote:
I suspect Mr Tomtom is doing this to stop things like the postcode file fiasco with the GO. no update free. no copying of the post code file.

making people who have unknowingly just purchased ttn3 pay again immediately is just plain wrong - and bad for business. Lets face it when (god forbid) ttn 6 starts to appear who is going to buy ttn5 knowing they will have pay again - this could reduce the sales life of the software and make retailers extra careful about holding stocks as the product ages.

I think this could just make more customers become new customers of something else. Perhaps they have forgotten that unlike the GO customers we are not dependent on one supplier and can look around for whats best for the job. This may still be tomtom but who's to say in the future.

Charging uk customers more for traffic, more for speed camera's etc (expected take up of this from users of this site must be zero) and delaying upgrades just adds fuel to the argument for moving to another supplier.

The first gps supplier who adds downloadable maps with regular updates (I'm happy to pay every 3 or 6 months) will definately get my order. I'm curently trying mapopolis which can do this but I really don't like to the interface and I don't think it will work with the speed camera warning systems.

Broadband makes 100mb + downloads possible when will they wake up (and make even more money)

Ian
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why they should give free upgrades, to be honest. When TTN5 comes out, any last stocks of TTN3 will be marked down to very low prices. Therefore somebody could buy this cheaply and get a free upgrade to TTN5, despite only having paid half the price.

I bought a plasma TV a few months ago and now Pansonic have bought out a new model - should I be able to get a new free TV? Of course not. Just because software appears to have no "physical" cost, doesn't mean there should be free upgrades.

Just my 2cents, flame away... Laughing
soweezy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well this guy is selling Mio 168 with TTN5...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5776151825&rd=1

but wait for the catch...
Quote:

THIS ITEM IS TO PRE-ORDER A MITAC MIO 168 WITH TOMTOM NAVIGATOR 5 WITH A DELIVERY TIME OF APPROXIMATELY 2 WEEKS.

2 weeks eh ? Laughing
Quote:

Garmin Zumo 390LM
Dazeck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy devices (www.easydevices.co.uk) have TomTom 5 for purchasing online.

This is from their website :

Quote:
UK Delivery: Next Day
Availability: In Stock
Description: PRE-ORDER NOW!! Currently the top selling GPS Software for Pocket PC. TomTom 5 is a stunning appl...

A slight contradiction in terms there, saying it's in stock available next day, but description says pre-order.

Anyone tried to order ?
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it can safely be assumed that they don't have it - very missleading though.

Ian
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iancjc wrote:
I think it can safely be assumed that they don't have it - very missleading though.
Ian

And not the first time Easy Devices has said this.. Globalsat BT-338 was exactly the same. However, it maybe that their system does not allow for pre-order without a ship date as it may not be able to handle negative stock.
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would not deal with easy devices really. apart from a problem a few trading name and years ago they are a complete rip off...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: