Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - asn & gps screen
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

asn & gps screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnieray
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: asn & gps screen Reply with quote

can anyone please explain to me what the asn thing is that keeps flashing on to my screen, also, what do all the figures and info mean to a complete ignoramus??? on the gsp status screen, I have searched the cd, the handbook, any so called help that is going, but nowhere can i find out, why on earth cannot tom tom realise that they might know what they are doing, but most of us can only drive a car, if we knew what they knew, we would not be doing such mundane jobs as driving from point to point delivering goods!!, I bought a navigator to help me with this, but, with all the faults that I find, ( see my recent question to TT) I think we are light years away from a perfect gps system,, in spite of all the claims made.

john
Ugly-Kid-Joe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASN stands for Assisted Satallite Navigation. It uses accerlor meters inside the Go to calculate your present speed and direction before the signal is lost. Its meant to keep your position upto date if say you go under into a tunnel or under a long bridge. If you have the Go 300 then this does not have ASN.
The jargon on the GPS screen is the number of satalites you are locked onto and the current co-ordinates of your position.
Hope this helps
Sniff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: asn & gps screen Reply with quote

johnieray wrote:
can anyone please explain to me what the asn thing is that keeps flashing on to my screen, also, what do all the figures and info mean to a complete ignoramus??? on the gsp status screen, I have searched the cd, the handbook, any so called help that is going, but nowhere can i find out, why on earth cannot tom tom realise that they might know what they are doing, but most of us can only drive a car, if we knew what they knew, we would not be doing such mundane jobs as driving from point to point delivering goods!!, I bought a navigator to help me with this, but, with all the faults that I find, ( see my recent question to TT) I think we are light years away from a perfect gps system,, in spite of all the claims made.

john

johnieray, I think that's being a bit unfair. The info on the GPS screen is just that...info. It isn't required to operate the GO. Some people might find it interesting, some people (like yourself, it seems) might not. If that's the case, just ignore it.
johnieray
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: gps screen Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your replies, you say I am a little unfair, not so, my question about the gps relates to whether or not I should invest in an ex antenna, to improve my lousy reception in central london, you see,, on another forum, a user (with an ex ant, showed a screen pix of the gps screen, using a ext ant. they were mostly full to the top, coloured blue. My main critisisim of TTgo, is,, that on two recent journeys, .... apart from the loss of signal, I found obvious mistakes with the mapping, and...... in the centre of london, with no signal, this is no joke, I wonder if there is a complete answer out there. Thanks for your interest.
John
Sniff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: gps screen Reply with quote

johnieray wrote:
Thanks guys for your replies, you say I am a little unfair, not so, my question about the gps relates to whether or not I should invest in an ex antenna, to improve my lousy reception in central london, you see,, on another forum, a user (with an ex ant, showed a screen pix of the gps screen, using a ext ant. they were mostly full to the top, coloured blue. My main critisisim of TTgo, is,, that on two recent journeys, .... apart from the loss of signal, I found obvious mistakes with the mapping, and...... in the centre of london, with no signal, this is no joke, I wonder if there is a complete answer out there. Thanks for your interest.
John

Two questions there I think Laughing

Regarding the antenna...if you get a colour screen then the GO has a lock on at least a couple of sats. If the little "battery bar" display goes up you're getting more. If you're not getting a good "signal strength" then go for the antenna. Personally I would always buy one anyway - where I am I don't need it, but who's to say I won't someday be in an area where I need it? I never bother to look at the blue bars on teh gps screen - it changes from second to second anyway unless I'm parked.

Regarding the mapping errors - if that's what they are, then no amount of sats will help you
johnieray
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: gps signals Reply with quote

Just a thank you to Sniff, for your interest. points noted.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: