Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman 650 voice/wav files for camera poi's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman 650 voice/wav files for camera poi's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peteruk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Navman 650 voice/wav files for camera poi's Reply with quote

HI,

is it possible on the navman 650 to use wav files for the camera poi's instead of the "ping" sound?
I have a load of wav files for it but not so sure how they could be used.
Is it just something simple to add the file name to the cvs data file or type the spoken txt e.g. some data@warning 30 miles speed zone ahead

cheers

Pete
padres
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
If you haven't already, go to www.getoutguide.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/poidownloads/
and click on the box relating to voices.
If you manage to change the sound please let me know how as I don't understand the instuctions on the notebook.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been advised by Navman that you cannot change the warning sound on the 6xx range. This is because you can't browse the 6xx devices as you can the 510 or PiN/PPC devices.
peteruk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a shame.

It would be good if this could be change.
Maybe teh next service pack form navman will fix this or should i say make the option available
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an iCN630, and found the file "default.wav" in the folder "C:\Program Files\Navman\SmartST Desktop Version 3 for iCN600 Series\iCN630Bin\Common" It sounds the same on my PC as the speedcam warning sound. It's format is 8 bit, Mono 11 kHz sound.

So I got to thinking - what if I change it to something else, which I did, and reinstalled my iCN630 appliaction software. I now have my own sound for speed cams. Only problem is that it is the same one for all speed cams. I must see if tehre is a way to have a different sound file for different speeds.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bit of lateral thinking. I take it that you renamed your chosen file "default.wav".

Since you've proved me wrong once, I'm loathe to tell you that you can only have one sound for all Custom POIs, but I've tried extensively on the PPC version without success. If you find a way, please do share it.
padres
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does all this help with changing the sound on the 650 or is it just the 630? If the voice says "speed camera ahead" it is better than a 'ping'.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should work for all the 6xx range running V3.
padres
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great. But to a thicko like me it aint so easy. I have found the file on my computer. So do I right click on it, go to properties and rename it and if so what, anything? Then do I find the download (which is currently in My Documents, cut and paste it to the same file as the original and give it the name 'default'. Then how do I get it on to my Navman?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rename the old one default.old but, yes, anything will do.

Cut and paste, drag and drop, copy and paste, it's your choice.

Reading robertn's instructions, you have to reload the software onto the iCN. One way to do this is by holding down the OK key whilst powering the unit on and from the resulting menu select Format A: drive (Internal NAND Flash). This will delete the software from your device. Next, power off, connect your iCN to your PC and power on again. Run the Navman desktop and you will be told there is an update for your unit. Install it and that should be it.

I assume that this sequence will be required for any subsequent patch, but don't know for sure.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have changed the instructions (again) in the download zip file to reflect the information for installing on the 600 series as stated above by robertyn.

Thanks for that.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
padres
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed the instructions to load the voice warning of safety camera's. BUT. I didn't realise to do so meant wiping the internal memory of the devise and therefore having to reload all the maps, relaod all my 'favorites' and reload all my POI's. On top of all that whilst reloading the maps my computer shut down to avoid a fatal error damaging my computer. I persisted but it closed down three times. I evntually had to re-load the maps one piece at a time ie for the UK first Scotland then North England then East Midlands and so on. When I did everything and went for a test drive as I approached a safety camera what did I get - - - yes you guessed it, a ping. No man telling there was a speed camera ahead. So I have given up unless someone can tell me how to load the voice without having to reload all the maps.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can reinstall programs without losing maps/favourites etc by selecting "Setup/Update software/update software on iCN".

I tried the male .wav file and it did not work (my iCN went ping). The .wav I used works so I looked at the difefrence in teh files. (I used to work in IT ) I don't know much about wav files - but the ones from icsys are compressed, and the ones that work on my iCN are not. I expect the iCN cannot handle compressed .wav files.

You may need to make one up yourself that is not compressed.
padres
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In words a techno phobe can understand how do you update the software on the iCN without losing all the maps and favs etc. Can I just update the wav file ie the male voice?
padres
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, not enough info for the last question.
I know Update software on iCM is on the desktop, Setup/update software/Update software on iCN. But this option is not highlighted - so - how do you highlkight it and then how do you select the software youy want to update, in this instance just the male voice?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: