Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - no NMEA data
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

no NMEA data
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmitch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: no NMEA data Reply with quote

hi i am new to this just got a icn 510 when i switch it on and check for gps it says error no nmea data any help will be welcome thanks ken Question Question Question
Scruge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: no NMEA data Reply with quote

madmitch wrote:
hi i am new to this just got a icn 510 when i switch it on and check for gps it says error no nmea data any help will be welcome thanks ken Question Question Question

Probably DOA, like so many of the others that have been returned.

Are you outside in plain view of the sky? Have you attempted a reset or software update.

I would think No NEMA would mean something is wrong between the gps reciever (the little thing that flips up on the back) and the ppc (the part with the display and buttons). NEMA is a standard for how the data is packaged and delivered to the map software. (No NEMA = No gps DATA)
Clogs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same NEMA error message during satellite acquisition.

Lately I have found my lock-on time is longer than it was before I installed Service Pack 1. It might be my imagination but it seems to speed up acquisition if you bring up the satellite screen and watch what is happening during the lock-on process. It seems that because I'm taking an active interest in the satellites then Navman speeds up the process.
crep
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clogs wrote:

It seems that because I'm taking an active interest in the satellites then Navman speeds up the process.

it does not make much sense, but I have the same impression. Maybe more resources are available to actually acquire satellites. Maybe I'm just guessing.
madmitch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: no nmea Reply with quote

thanks for the feedback it only happened after i instaled service pack 1 Question Question Question Question Question
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The No NMEA message will only show when the GPS is not receiving any signal : ie: indoors away from the windows. Safest way to check is to try it outside.
madmitch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: no nmea Reply with quote

yes to all outside i live 5-7miles from nearest town i have tried reset somtimes when i switch it on it takes up to 20 mins to find sat Question Question navman told me to start shutdown remove sd card and restart then re insert sd card no help still comes up no nmea data will be paying a visit to halfords Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
bootruss
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..good, take it back say you 've spoke to navman with no joy and after a phone call to the navman techies who will try the bloody obvious,condemn it as faulty and you can have a nice new one!!
SJohnson1999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering whether you returned the unit and got a replacement ? If so , did it fix the problem ?

I bought a 520 the other day and having various problems getting a lock, ranging from "no nmea data", to it locking in only for it to drop then reconnect and drop again.

I did get a lock and used it successfully but the return journey I had no lock at all.

I have tried it outside and again it seems pot luck as to whether it will get the GPS lock.

It seems a good bit of kit but if its going to be unreliable then I'd rather swap the unit or try a different manufacturer.
Dilemma
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to suffer the same fate with satellite fixes, but I read on the Navman forum that if you delete the backup directory in the Flash Disk via MS activesync it will recreate it self when next booted; that it fixed another problem so I thought what the heck i'd try it. I did this and perhaps coicidental, perhaps not; either way no issue since.
SJohnson1999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, deleted the directory and then tried the 520. Within a couple of minutes I got a lock and it was fine. Turned off the unit at the destination and maybe an hour or so later switched it on again. Same result - a lock within a couple of minutes (tops).

The third time again got a lock but then tried to route to MyHome and got some error across the top of screen, the only way to clear this was to switch the battery off and then on, this cleared the error and a lock was established.

Fingers crossed this seems to have sorted the problem. :D
Dilemma
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SJohnson1999 wrote:
Thanks, deleted the directory and then tried the 520. Within a couple of minutes I got a lock and it was fine. Turned off the unit at the destination and maybe an hour or so later switched it on again. Same result - a lock within a couple of minutes (tops).

The third time again got a lock but then tried to route to MyHome and got some error across the top of screen, the only way to clear this was to switch the battery off and then on, this cleared the error and a lock was established.

Fingers crossed this seems to have sorted the problem. :D

Glad to have helped (hopefully!!).
ginbhandal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I' quite new to all this so please bear with me! - could you talk me through the process of what you helped out with above. It also takes my quite a long time to get a fix, and I've not got a heated windscreen and am in clear view of the sky - I remember the first time I turned on I got a fix very quickly but since then it seems to be taking longer and longer.

Any suggestions?
Dilemma
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly,

Connect your iCN to your PC via the USB cable and allow it to be detected. Using MS Activesync, browse your iCN for folders/directories and locate the folder called 'Backup' on your device on the 'Flash Disk' drive. Then simply delete it, and unplug your iCN from the PC.

Turn off your unit using the switch at the rear of the unit, wait a few seconds and then turn it back on again. Your unit will then rebuild it's file structure and restart, thats it...

Good luck.
ginbhandal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks very much dilemma, and also for the quick response. i'll try this when I get home from work! am I right in saying this procedure is completely safe for the maps etc stored on the device?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: