Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom 2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stillo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Tom Tom 2 Reply with quote

Today i tried to plan a route from leek in staffordshire to leeds and i must say i have just about had enough and i have nearly decided to ask for a refund as i have had nothing but trouble with tom tom 2 the problem is at approx 11 10am i planned a route from the above and all i got from tom tom was route will be planned when gps is reliable at that point i had 8 sats all with a good signal strength i left leek and by the time i got to manchester at approx 12 00 i got the planned route i wanted i knew my way from manchester so i turned off tom tom i kept getting a message fatal error and tom tom switched it'self off when i restarted tom tom on more than one occasion it tried to replan the route from where i was and then all that happened was you could see how many roads it analized and when it got to about 30 miles to go it did nothing else. Please help if you can i would be eternally greatful.

Cheers stillo
Eagle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Tom Tom 2 Reply with quote

Stillo,

If you are not on a road that Tom Tom recognises it will say that the route will be planned when the GPS signal is reliable. This happens even though it is showing a good fix. It is because the fix doesn't relate to a road in Tom Tom. An example would be if you are in a car park or drive etc. As soon as Tom Tom sees the fix relates to a position on a road it should start to plan the route.

Having said that I've just tried to plan a route from A50 - Leek to A1 (Bramham Cum Oglethorpe) Leeds and it took nearly 13 minutes.

Interesting because I usually find Tom Tom quite quick.

I wonder what times others can get.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

It's also worth adding that if TomTom think it's a private road (eg pink dashes on the road in map view), then you also won't be able to drive the route as TTN doesn't allow you to navigate down private roads.
Stillo
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the replies and i must say it has only happened today most of the time it is ok. calmed down a bit now .

Cheers Stillo
aero
Regular Visitor

Eagle, that route took 15 secs to calculate (A50 Main Road Leek, Staffordhsire Moorlands to A1 Bramham Cum Oglethorpe).
NigelJ
Regular Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 05 May 2003

It's also worth adding that if TomTom think it's a private road (eg pink dashes on the road in map view), then you also won't be able to drive the route as TTN doesn't allow you to navigate down private roads.

It may be of interest that I have a private drive through my property of about 250yds before reaching a private road of approx 100yds that meets an A road and TT manages to fix my position and plan a route from my house.

There does appear to be some inconsistances it seems.

Nigel
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Dave on 05 May 2003It's also worth adding that if TomTom think it's a private road (eg pink dashes on the road in map view), then you also won't be able to drive the route as TTN doesn't allow you to navigate down private roads.

It will navigate me up and down a friend's private 600 yard drive without any trouble.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

It may navigate you up and down a private road, but normally if you plan a route from a public road, the main reason for a private road desgination is that it shouldn't route you onto it and it will try and direct you round it.

In TTN1 v1.20 The Isle Of Wight 90% of the roads listed were private roads, and this made navigating across the Isle Of Wight impossible until TomTom fixed this in 1.21.
Mark G
Occasional Visitor

Trying to find a slot for general navigation comments rather than map errors.

I have noticed TTN can give misleading directions at roundabouts. It seems to ignore private roads as a true exit and doesn't count them for the "third exit" type instruction.

I found an example of this leaving Dumfries in Scotland. Joining the A75 for Carlisle from the A780 the software considers the farm gate access to be a true exit so commands Take the the third exit. However in town there is a roundabout with one exit leading to a Safeway supermarket. TTN does not include this, despite it being a proper exit in the eyes of the driver.
agibbs
Occasional Visitor

Probably not the right thread, but I have to agree that roundabouts seem to be one of the more 'variable' parts of the software. I've also seen quite 'large' roads flagged as private and ignored in the count (e.g. roundabout on A414 just east of A1M), and conversely 'extra' exits added for what looks like the most trivial of driveways to someones house. As not all roads are listed consistently (my local Safeway is 'public') IMHO the software should really count them all. And of course the final confusion is from the software choice of whether an exit is 'left' 'cross' or 'right' - often counter-intuitive to the drivers perception!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: