Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - People are SELLING the link to my postcodes files !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

People are SELLING the link to my postcodes files !
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: People are SELLING the link to my postcodes files ! Reply with quote

8O

I have been told via a PM on the site that people are selling 'postcode poi' packs that are simply links to this site and to the consolodated postcode data on my website.

I just wanted to assure anyone who might be concerned that this is nothing at all to do with me. The files I compiled are still there at link removed for OS Copyright reasons and are totally free to anyone who wants them - after all they are simply a reorganisation of the data from the files freely available via links on this site already !

It makes me Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad that some lazy fool is making money for nothing, so can I ask/suggest that this post is either stickied or gets a bump from someone to keep it visibile to try and help prevent these people scamming money from users ?

ta

Tim
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I just looked on eBay to see how prevalent this is and : 8O 8O 8O 8O

I'm changing the download location totally. If anyone wants these just let me know

Tim
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you really cant believe how people just take the p***
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I could see the looks on their faces when the unhappy punters tell them the files are missing Twisted Evil
Evilution
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't move the files, replace them with others, how about a zip file with a picture file in saying "you have been ripped off, feel free to leave negative feedback, I just don't care, sucker". Laughing
rorton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shocking mate, really shocking, you provide a great service, and your time, and some one take the ****.

Be nice if you could password the file somehow
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timmyo wrote:
I'm changing the download location totally. If anyone wants these just let me know

I wouldn't mind a copy. Smile

Fair enough about moving the files, but what's to stop some toerag from downloading your postcode data then hosting it on their own website and selling the link?

Crying or Very sad
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilution wrote:
Don't move the files, replace them with others, how about a zip file with a picture file in saying "you have been ripped off, feel free to leave negative feedback, I just don't care, sucker". Laughing

Laughing
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
timmyo wrote:

I wouldn't mind a copy. Smile

Fair enough about moving the files, but what's to stop some toerag from downloading your postcode data then hosting it on their own website and selling the link?

Crying or Very sad

Yeah I realise you can't beat these creeps but hopefully I made it a little harder. funny thing is I got one of them to apologise via e-mail (although I see his auctions are still up !) and tell me who he bought them off. This second guy is slagging the 1st one for selling on 'his' data ! He hasn't replied to my e-mail yet . . .

I'm going to try and sort something out where it isn't a static link so people can ask for it direct and get it. If it gets too hard I might put them back but 2 things are annoying:

1. There were THOUSANDS of hits on them this month and last - that's alot of my bandwidth.
2. I begrudge these gimps making money at it

Tim
tals
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report them - they give ebay a bad name. Ebay will remove the auctions.

Tals
nich
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree ebay take things like this Very seriously.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I am in full agreement with you guys about the sellers on eBay. The PocketGPSWorld Cameras and Voice files are always for sale on there. And yes it does make my blood boil when the hard work of the community is just stolen.

I do however have a slight problem with this thread. We were threatened with Legal action just recently by the Ordnance Survey for hosting the files for download and also for indicating where these may be downloaded from. I am sorry but I have had to remove the link from this thread. Stop!
ScaredyCat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I do however have a slight problem with this thread. We were threatened with Legal action just recently by the Ordnance Survey for hosting the files for download and also for indicating where these may be downloaded from. I am sorry but I have had to remove the link from this thread.

Sorry - had to reply here, mainly because it annoyed me...

1. The OS has nothing to do with postcodes in the UK, they are issued and maintained by the POST OFFICE (hence POST codes).

2. Postcodes are PUBLICLY AVAILABLE, and PUBLICLY USEABLE. Think about it, why give everyone a post code, and then not allow them to use it.. hey the post office will even sell you it every household, every post code ,every address and that's what you pay for - the extra info.

3. Did I mention the the OS have FA to do with postcodes?

4. The OS have FA to do with postcodes btw.

5. I do not remember at any time being informed by any authority that I could not tell anyone what my postcode was unless I paid a license fee or usage fee. I do not remember at any time being asked to sign a license agreement to use any postcodes (or collection therof).

6. The OS have FA to do with postcodes.

I think i've made my point, you know the point that the OS have FA to do with postcodes.

SC
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have missed the point.

I don't believe the Postcodes, as we would use them, are used by the Post Office in that way. There system is based on Postal Rounds and they sort the mail according to those rounds.

The information contained within the PAF data has been compiled by OS to give a location for each Postcode. It is the compilation of that database that the OS holds the copyright to.

If you obtain the data from one of there sources, that is what they complain about.

You can pass your Postcode and location on to as many as you like, and you are not using their information at that point. If everyone did that then you would have a compiled database, not derived from theirs. It would be a hell of job to manage it, but if you want to start ....

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
ScaredyCat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think you have missed the point.

I'm not sure I did. The OS has no rights to grid references and post codes, the DO have the right to data THEY have compiled or purchased. Unless they can prove that the originating data is theirs then they have no claim. Only the provider of the data in this case I believe Tim, is able to tell is this is the case or not.

What I'm getting at is that, it IS possible that Tim scraped the data from somewhere else like one of the mapping sites, but that's an issue for the mapping site not the OS. Both the Post office and OS sell this data, it does not mean that it's exclusively theirs - it's public information - I can stand in my back garden with a gps unit and find my postcode and grid reference with no bother. You are correct, I could start to compile a db/web interface so that people can add their own data and there are a number of people who've started/done similar things - google reveals all.

However, my main point is that the OS have no claim on the data, unless they can prove that its their's. Manchester University have done some interesting stuff with postcode/grid reference data which is FREE - iirc all you need to do is (electornically) sign off that you wont sell the data.

This does however raise an interesting (for me anyway) point. Both the OS and the PO are selling my information, my address and in some etc.. since it is impossible to have a house/home/office without a postal address there is no way for an individual to have their home/house office etc removed from the data. Thus it creates a privacy issue. Just looking at somwhere like upmystreet can allow people to draw inferences from my postcode, about who or what I am... just a thought...

SC

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: