Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - OK we have got V5. What do we want to see in Version 6.0
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

OK we have got V5. What do we want to see in Version 6.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ability to customise your menu's easily as you want them

Samsung Galaxy S9 (o2) contract
SimonB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being able to re-map the Buttons the Remote Control, so you can create shortcuts to different items.

(E.g Map a Button for Mute etc etc)
pdriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my view, second to basic and reliable functionality is effective itinerary planning.

Commercial situations whether for deliveries, sales calls or site visits, often demand that personnel have to deal with as many as 50 stops a day! Anyone who has ever had to manually re-order a 50 stop itinerary in TomTom will be well aware of the sensation of losing the will to live.

These routes often have different start and finish locations and the decision for choosing a pre-determined order or the most efficient route can be dictated by any number of different factors including deadlines, efficiency or special instructions.

A typical scenario for a delivery driver or sales rep might be thus: I have my normal 50 stops that I usually have in Manchester, but today I’m approaching the city from the North rather than the South. I have to get round all the stops before the day finishes but Customer X (in the West) needs his delivery before 10.30.

- Itineraries should calculate an optimised route to take in all destinations or waypoints.

- As now, the itinerary should allow for a stated order as an alternative to optimised routing.

- Both of the above should allow for exceptions. (e.g. Navigate To waypoint or destination in current itinerary, then resume with optimised itinerary)

- Itineraries should be calculated with default planning preferences, currently user is prompted for fastest or shortest etc irrespective of preferences. In fact it takes as many four screen taps to switch to the next destination. There should be a one-touch "continue with itinerary" button on the main screen.

- Current or specified starting points with finish at a specified end point (e.g. home)

- Name of each waypoint or destination needs to be editable within the itinerary.

- Name of the ‘next destination or waypoint’ should be displayed in the status bar.

- There should be a "you have reached your waypoint" voice prompt.

- Lastly the ongoing route should be displayed at all times for multiple destinations as it is with waypoints. This would save a lot of driving around car parks or making dangerous u-turns when making the switch between a completed stop and navigating to the next.

I have a lot of (mostly good) experience with itineraries and I do hope that the nice folks at TomTom are reading this thread and giving thoughtful consideration to all the suggestions made by thus far.
BrummyGit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A release date? Rolling Eyes
kbv1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about a function for adding a location via the co-ordinates as some places give them now on the map "how to get here"
markhadley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this is already covered (or an existing feature that I haven found!)

but I would like to be able to save a favourite route not just a favourite destination (that may not necessarily be the quickest that the TT always suggests first) then when you select your favourite route (i.e the way to the office) you can turn traffic on and get updates/re-routes on the way....

my route to the office is about the 5th suggestion after telling it to avoid certain motorways (that are busy by the time I get there but not when I set off!) and setting it up before leaving my drive is a pain!
uocooper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you have all duplicated what you have posted here at http://tomtom.com/plus/feedback.php
hawkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: unmarked roads!! Reply with quote

As a new user ( first time yesterday) I was very surprised and annoyed that when we tapped in "navigate to" and selected "home" asking for "shortest route" Tim sent us down some real narrow unmade roads
(it was dark so we just kinda relied on him and obeyed him blindly)
We then were directed down an unmade and "unnamed" road in the middle of absolutely no-where somewhere near Wrexham, until my wife panicked and insisted we reverse out and turn around. Not easy as it was pitch black, the grass and concrete down the middle of the road was so long it felt like the sump was about to be ripped out any second, and I had to back up for around 1/4 mile before being able to turn.
SURELY as this is primarily a vehicle device, it should NOT route you down such unclassified and unnamed roads suitable only for mountain goats and chelsea tractors !! I shall now be cautious about using "shortest route" when out in the hills....which is a pity as it would have had great potential for experimenting with country lanes and off the beaten track type roads ( plenty of these in North Wales where we live )- but this particular road was literally completely un-useable and the whole experiencde a little frightening to be honest :-(
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general consensus is that the 'shortest route' be used with much caution.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
pdriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... the trials and tribulations of using SatNav.

Maybe the mods should set up a new board called "You'll never guess where TomTom took me" Laughing

Only the other day whilst working in South Birmingham a friend of mine was routed across a ford. Inspite of his doubts and depite the heavy rain earlier in the day he obediently followed TomTom's instructions only to find himself with a conked out vehicle in 3 ft of water! Fortunatley he had a change of clothing with him and after the car was towed home his mechanic eventually managed to get the car working again.

Sorry about the off topic post, but it seemed to fit in nicely there.
rolfd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern and Southern Ireland maps that actually give some decent detail would be nice.

And the ability to name roads that are marked as unnamed roads.

I suppose it would be nice if it didnt navigate me about 20 miles in the opposite direction from my destination down a motorway only to take me back to my original starting position via side roads!

But at least I got to see some roads I never knew esisted! Rolling Eyes
Mark_Darlington
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
My wish would be that when the traffic service re-routes you, I'd like to be able to see the old route and the new route on the "view route as map" option.

In other words, I'm curious to know how the new route differs from the old one. Maybe show the old route as a dotted line or something.

Also, I support a previous suggestion to be able to search for street names even if you don't know what town/city they are in.

Regards,
Mark
fwor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well as the many great suggestions already put forward in this thread, here are a couple of things I'd like to see:

In addition to the six route types (fastest, shortest, avoid motorways, etc) I'd like to see another called 'offroad route' which simply shows a straight-line route from start to end or between each point in an itinerary. This would allow (for example) geocachers or hillwalkers to create an offroad route which ~doesn't~ simply tell you to find the nearest road! (It would also need an option to turn off auto-zoom when navigating, as the automatic zoom level is too 'zoomed out' to see where you're going when walking.)

Also, if they can't do proper integration with a PC/Mac-based map application as has already been suggested, then maybe a PC/Mac-based application that allows you to manage maps, POIs, itineraries on the PC and then to do a synch to update the handheld (a bit like Navman already do, but perhaps a bit less Mickey Mouse).

Yes, I realise that this thread is aimed at Go users, and I've actually got TTN5 on a Palm. But the Navigator forum doesn't have a 'what do we want in version 6' thread which is why I put it here...
Hamie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A POI format that has ONE file & can specify the TYPE of POI to remove the 40 file limit. The type can then be used to lookup icons etc.

And of course then you need userdefinable types.. Which would include icon/alert YN/velocity trigger

Open Map Overlays. i.e. an open format map file that will overlay the existing maps.

The ability to tell the unit not to be so stupid when it's trying to route me down a bus/taxi/one-way(Wrong direction) only street.

Let ME select the level of zoom & detail required. The unit currently zooms in WAY to far. I like to know WHERE I'm going. Not just where I am now. (Zooming out just zooms all the way back in again).

Bigger zoom in/out buttons.

North UP on the map. Instead of rotating the display.

Let me see traffic even if it isn't on my current route.

Don't waste so much screen real-estate when viewing traffic.

Trackpoints of where I've been. With altitude, velocity & time.

Routes of where I've been

Learn my favourite route for a given journey.

Support downloading my phonebook via SymcML over bluetooth. (e.g. Symbian smartphones like the Nokia 7710).

Recieved SMS/Picture messages on Nokia 7710 (Currently send only).

An RDS/RMC option for traffic (Because TTTraffic doesn't work most of the time).

Speed warnings tied to specific road types. (The types are there because it knows the different colours for them).

Support all the phonebook attributes loaded from phones (i.e. multiple numbers, pictures, etc).
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add my own requests based on my new Tom Tom One........

1) Better colour maps by default, especially the night ones. I know there are downloadable alternative but they are not much better.

2) Lower (yes lower!) brightness control for night maps. Even with the brightness set to 0 I still find it too bright compared with my car dash instruments. Has anyone tried a screen protector yet as this may make the screen less bright.

3) Auto switch between night and day maps depnding on the time as the Garmin i3 does.

4) Option to avoid certain roads and/or areas of known congestion and not just based on "traffic" download.

5) Speed camera warning based on car speed. The Garmin i3 already does this with the Pocketgpsworld database. A low tone boing alerts you to the camera and a higher pitch ding repeats if you are going too fast.

6) Auto turn on/off with external power. Again the i3 does this very nicely. Having this function would allow the One to be placed in more discrete locations where getting a finger to the power button is difficult.

I'm sure there will be more but overall it's a great bit of kit. Hopefully Tom Tom will be able to release updates to include these and other suggestions.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: