Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Globalsat 308 - Poor Reception ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Globalsat 308 - Poor Reception ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AllenJames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Globalsat 308 - Poor Reception ? Reply with quote

I have recently bought a globalsat 308 to use with my HP 2210.

I sorted the problems with it dropping connections and all seems to work superb when its in my car sat on the dash.

I tried to use it the other day while walking along, Ipaq in one hand, BT308 in the other.

All is well, but I only get 2 maybe 3 sats tracking me.

As soon as I put the BT308 down (ie not hold it in my hand) it will track up to 8 sats.

Is this a fault, or is my hand somehow killing the reception ?
iPhone 5 (phoning)
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's your hand working as a shield. This can happen on some GPS Receivers. Sometimes it's better to hold it by just placing it on your palm, or putting it in a shirt pocket.
madasaman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
i see in your post that you solved the problem with your 308 dropping the connection. How did you do it? mine keeps freezing up during journeys and i have to switch the ipaq off and back on, reselect the 308 to get it back up and running and this is with 7 sats locked in.

Cheers
Graham
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham,

You say your setup keeps 'freezing up'. By this do you mean it keeps saying that your 'GPS Position Unreliable' when it 'freezes'?

I see that you are using a 2210. Are you also storing your maps on SD card?

If so, then your card (or its' interface) may well be the problem.

I would strongly recommend that you try using a CF card for map storage as this may well solve your problems. A good quality SD card with good read speed may also do the trick but testing with a CF will point you in the right direction.

If your problem is something else entirely, then I apologise for presuming. I use a 2210 and 308 however and think that the above will help enormously.

Steve
Nissan Connect
madasaman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,
thanks for the reply, actually the PDA is a 2215 although i don't think there's much difference. The programme freezes and just shows the speed at which i was moving at the time. Don't think there's any message about the gps position being unreliable, but i'll have to check on that later today when i get my car back off the wife. As to the sd card, i'm going to try another ( Kingston 128mb) and see if it makes any difference. The other one i bought off ebay its called a Phast 512mb. Haven't had the system all that long so i am still learning. The system came with the Kingston 128 with GB installed, i bought the other so i could have France on it as well.

Graham
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

The 2210 and 2215 are one and the same - Transatlantic marketing being the only difference I think.

That being the case - I can't reiterate too strongly - try a CF card. The 2210/15 SD interface is a well known source of the type of problem you are describing.

Steve
Nissan Connect
madasaman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that steve, i'll probably end up doing that, but first i'll try the updates suggested by tomtom. Don't know if these will work but obviously they must have had other complaints and worked out a fix. Although if it is the sd card interface causing the problem i dont see a twek to their software sorting it out, do you.
Graham
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i'll try the updates suggested by tomtom. Don't know if these will work but obviously they must have had other complaints and worked out a fix.

I think if you read these forums in detail over the last 18 months, you'll get answers to both parts of your assertion! Many users, including myself, have been down the same road (no pun intended) as you in that time. The advice to shift to CF is not solely mine but the experience of numerous other users.

Good Luck,
Steve
Nissan Connect
madasaman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,
well things are looking up, used the system twice for about an hour each time and no freezing, navigator ran like clockwork and got me where i was going with no hitches. Looks like the fixes worked, but i'm gonna keep everything crossed anyway. Going to France in two months so i want it reliable for that. Any idea if theres a database of french speed cameras anywhere?

Graham
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes there are files of French speed camera's available - check through POIEdit.

However, my understanding is that it is not legal in France to use the data on the road so I personally do not use them while driving over there.

There is a website that lists them fairly graphically, so you could study this before you finalise your route. You should be aware that the Gendarmerie don't mess about painting them yellow and practice the art of subterfuge in pursuing speeders. Confused (They hide)

http://www.radarsfixes.com/c_carte.asp?carte=NO

Steve
Nissan Connect

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: