Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Postcode search
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Postcode search

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim-Bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Postcode search Reply with quote

Can someone with new maps please help. Looking through other topics I get a mixed message about the postcode search some say it works well sothrs say it is very inacurate. The postcode search is the one thing I have wanted ever since I got my GO. If it works well it may stil be worth purchasing the new maps even if the maps themelves have hardley changed.

Either that or it would be nice if tomtom sold this "zip" file by itself.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Postcode feature still has the locality feature of being in the centre of a group of addresses. However the V5 feature locks it a road, and then you have to specify the house numeber on the next screen. This gets rid of the big problem on knowing which High Street is the correct one.

If there is no number, but a house name, pressing Done without a number puts you in the middle of that Postcodes area which in the country could be 2-300 yards out. Just the same as in the Postcode POI's. In that, it's as accurate, but it's a lot faster.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
michaelh85
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people who thought that 7digit postcodes would give you and exact house were living in a fantasy land. There is no system available that is that accurate, certainly not for £350.
When you give you postcode to a firm, royal mail etc, they still don't know your house number.
The best which any consumer system can do is narrow it down to a "cluster" of houses, and TTG does this fine.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Postcode search Reply with quote

Jim-Bob wrote:
Can someone with new maps please help. Looking through other topics I get a mixed message about the postcode search some say it works well sothrs say it is very inacurate. The postcode search is the one thing I have wanted ever since I got my GO. If it works well it may stil be worth purchasing the new maps even if the maps themelves have hardley changed.

Either that or it would be nice if tomtom sold this "zip" file by itself.

From what I can see, it works very well - and it's a lot quicker to specify a destination by 7-char postcode than by the town/street route. Some people seem to think that it may not be entirely up to date - and may not be correct in areas where the postcodes have recently been revised - e.g. part of the Oxford area. However, postcodes in Southam (Warwickshire) were all changed a couple of years ago - and they seem ok.

One or two people have indicated that they have enabled full postcode search on a Classic with v5 software and old maps by copying a file called Great_Britain.Postal from a 300 or from the purchased updated maps. This would, of course be illegal. Whether or not you consider it to be immoral may depend on your attitude to TT at first indicating that full postcode search would be in the free v5 update - and then making you pay for it instead.
nich
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surly if it gets you to within a spit of the exact address thats good Enough
Jim-Bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Postcode search Reply with quote

Thank you!

This is what I wanted to know. I knew it wouldn't narrow it down to a house because for each postcode there are a fiew houses. just as long as the area it narrows it down to it the correct area!

rkm_hm wrote:

One or two people have indicated that they have enabled full postcode search on a Classic with v5 software and old maps by copying a file called Great_Britain.Postal from a 300 or from the purchased updated maps. This would, of course be illegal. Whether or not you consider it to be immoral may depend on your attitude to TT at first indicating that full postcode search would be in the free v5 update - and then making you pay for it instead.

If I could get my hands on this file it would be going straight on.
ChrisCubed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Postcode search Reply with quote

Jim-Bob wrote:

Seconded.

Yours faithfully,
A disgruntled TomTom customer
terryuk22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: tomtom go maps Reply with quote

yea id like it too :o)
tez@mp3uk.org.uk
Laughing
Dipstick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Include me as well.

keith@simpson55.wanadoo.co.uk
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they distribution of this file is would be illeagal please donot post replies that that indicate that you would want to receive this file or that you know how to get hold of this file

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
mark-yorkshire
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postcode works fine on my TTG 300 - my map shows exact spot of house numbers unless the house number is not immediately adjacent to public highway.
Mark-Yorkshire
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Postcode data in V5 uses the same data as the previous, free, Postcode POI's. However there are 2 important differences.

1. The file is much smaller and almost instant in response.

2. The area can be fine-tuned with a house number. There will still be the inaccuracies of where the actual house no's are on a street, (not equally spaced).

If there is no house no. then it will give the same destination as the old Postcode POI, but at least you know you've chosen the correct High Street.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: