Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New GB Map Errors!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New GB Map Errors!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyngarth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazza wrote:
I must admit, I was more than a little dissapointed when I tried to navigate to my father's bungalow. His house number is 19 yet TTG said the highest number for that street is 17. He's been in the bungalow for over 6 years now, since it was built.

Same here, my house is not on the map as well, goes upto No.36 and I live at No.44. Confused but when I use my brothers car, which has Sat Nav bulit in, I can get home to the right front door. (good old Renault )

Lyngarth
sbcco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could somebody with teh current TomTom maps look up and tell me where Bridlington, Kirkcaldy and Bathgate are?

I have viaMichelin running on my Tungsten (which, I'm told, uses the same map source as TT). In each of the above (and on the viaMichelin website) asking for these towns (the town centre, not a specific street) you will get Beverley, Dunfermline and Livingston. I wonder if these errors are in the underlying maps or in a the way the user application links to them.

These aren't the only errors - postcode or address searches need a bit of ingenuity at times. For my home, a search on my home town, then street, gets me to the same named street in a town 15 miles away. I always keep an AA road atlas handy when plotting routes. Having said that, the user interface on a Palm is quite good when navigating. The VM software also has a PC application that allows you to work out routes on that, or to select just portions of a country map to load onto the Palm.
forky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you give me your address and I will see where it takes me on my 700

Samsung Galaxy S9 (o2) contract
Vortex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a TT One and Bridlington, Kirkcaldy and Bathgate seem to be in the correct place. The latest application update for the GO series (5.420) should solve your naming problem. According to the TomTom site - "Streets with the same name in towns that are close together are not confused in this version".
sbcco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortex wrote:
Just bought a TT One and Bridlington, Kirkcaldy and Bathgate seem to be in the correct place. The latest application update for the GO series (5.420) should solve your naming problem. According to the TomTom site - "Streets with the same name in towns that are close together are not confused in this version".

Thanks - sounds like TomTom have recognised a problem another supplier doesn't. Have spoken to somebody who's just bought the latest viaMichelin and they tell me these towns are still in the wrong place. It looks like the errors aren't in the actual maps but in the way the application uses them.

Thanks again.
ringostarr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT300_Owner wrote:
CR0 3JP should be Purley Way, Croydon. TT gives Ockley Road which Royal Mail gives as CR0 3DQ!!! And then it won't accept number 76 Purley Way - says it doesn't exist.

BN41 1GN should be Norway Street. TT gives Symbister Road...

CB6 3WL should be Columbine Road. TT gives as Mallow Close.

I have just checked these on my new TTGO 700

ONE of them is fixed .... CB6 3WL now lists as Columbine Rd the others listed are the same.

One note however tho ... CR0 3DQ also lists as Ockley Road so maybe CR0 3JP is just simply a typo ... does it deliver you to the right place?
tomcat76
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Dipstick wrote:
If you want to get one over on Tom Tom why not send me the Great_Britain.Postal file.

Best Wishes

Keith@simpson55.wanadoo.co.uk

You won't be able to email the file, even when zipped. It's nearly 10MB.

Why not? my mbx excepts 50Mb emails.... and I have emailed 40mb+ to a friend...

Its 13Mb in zip size via email its apporx 18Mb.
crazyken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not try www.yousendit.com you can then send up to 1gig files to anyone :D
acmp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all fascinating.

I'm new to TT and have TTn5.21 on PPC2003 and have discovered an annoying error in Nottingham (castle meadow retail park access from Queens road, the 'unnamed road' doesn't join the island on the map but does in reality) I have map v605

So who the heck do I report this too and what can I do about it?

I'm in agreement with those here who say it's tomtom's responsibility but I don't want to waste my time if they just ignore you.

Also is there a place on the web that I can add errors to, some sort of public repository, so that people can benefit from the error reporting of the masses? (if not then maybe this site would like to start one)

acmp
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acmp wrote:
TSo who the heck do I report this too and what can I do about it?

You can report to TomTom. You'll need to Login.

You can also report to TeleAtlas, and note that you have to select Great Britain, NOT United Kingdom, as the Country.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
acmp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Oldboy, but why do I have this odd feeling that my comments to tomtom will be filed under B for bin Wink

As there are so many anomilies with the mapping data is there a way to edit the map so that it includes the correct info?

I ask this as today I got sent down a road that is now closed at one end(Crocus street, Nottingham), I turned around only to see that where I had come in was one way so I couldn't even get back. Tomtom wouldn't get me out as it insisted I drive through the barrier at the end of the road.

acmp
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. There's no way to edit the map yourself.
It's probably more complicated than you'd think, as for every junction the map needs to report to TomTom every combination of 'turn allowed' or 'not allowed' from every possible direction.

All I do, is make a POI category for "Map errors" with a warning triangle icon to remind me where the problems that I've found are.
That also means I can just send that POI file off to TomTom to report the errors (just like reporting speed cameras to this site).
Unfortunatly, TeleAtlas will not accept error reports in .ov2 format though.
acmp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of stuff about the TT SDK. How practical do you think it would be to write an app that avoids certain POI's? If it could be done then you could just POI dead ends and such and the route planner would not send you the wrong way?

Maybe this level of sophistication is just beyond satnav at this time.

Overall I'm still happy with TTn5.

acmp
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A LOT of scottish (at least) villages and towns dont seem to appear on map v605!!

I have reported this to Tom Tom over a month ago and they are now aware of the problem but I have yet to get a suitable response.

The streets in these places appear if you can find them on the map but the town/village name does not so you cant navigate to them (e.g. Leitholm & Greenlaw were the examples I used but there are loads more!)
Frazz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got v605 on my TT1 and have no problem finding Leitholm and Greenlaw. They're about 6 miles apart via the A647 and B6461.

Frazz

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: