Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New GB Map Errors!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New GB Map Errors!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think you can use the Navteq-based map on anything but a One v2 or Rider though.
Someone did say on one of the forums that they had a way but I never saw it revealed!
entwood
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to use navteq maps on different TT devices but it involves procedures that are not allowed to be discussed in these forums as they are, very simply, in breach of the TT licence.

8)
unwanted
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: NEW MAPS Reply with quote

just a bit of info for those that have bought the so called NEW maps from TomTom...

You entered into an agreement with TomTom because you wanted to buy new maps so according to this intention you had to get new maps and not old ones. According to the Dutch Civil Law Code a product has to answer to the agreement. A product doesn’t answers to the agreement when, in view of the nature of the product and the announcement that was given by the trader, it doesn’t possesses the characteristics that the buyer could expect.

go see your Local TradingStandards Dept. for help on how to get a refund for dodgy New maps...

btw: imo the staff at tomtom customer services needs to be cryogenicly frozen, until there is a cure for their bad manners... they told me I should have done more research 8O
unwanted
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: nice try... we have a get out clause for everything... Reply with quote

message I received from TomTom via ECC The Netherlands

“We have the opinion that the whole situation is a misunderstanding. The navigation industry is a relatively new industry and only has 15% of market penetration. Because of this the how and what concerning this industry isn’t completely clear to the larger public.

Digital map suppliers, such as TeleAtlas and Navteq depend upon local governments and other organizations in Europe to receive alterations from the highway network. On an annual basis around 5% of the total European highway network changes, this are a lot of kilometers.
Our map suppliers have a lot of employees who drive through Europe and analyze satellite images to register these changes and process these changes. This procedure, as you understand, is very labour intensive and a logistical challenge.

Because the roads change continuously the maps can never be a 100% accurate, this is also indicated in the license. Customers of TomTom can inform TomTom about possible changes. This information is shared with our map suppliers who also visits the appropriate location to register the most accurate situation. Nevertheless the coverage of the map data is in the most countries in Europe more then 99%.

TomTom uses the best possible map data that are available in the market. Our maps have a version number and a date, for example 2007.1. This means that all alterations checked by TeleAtlas before January 2007 are processed in the map material. After the processing of these alterations the map data are being compressed by TomTom this is because then the data fits on a SD card and therefore is affordable for the consumer. This huge procedure of millions of changes and compressing the data takes time and has the consequence that the date of the maps are several months old at the moment of purchase by the consumer. Important is that we ensure that we come onto the market first or simultaneously with the latest maps. We assure you that the data aren’t two years old, our employees are also aware of this and we are therefore surprised to read this in your letter."

At the end of the letter they still didnt want to commit themselves to the age of the maps apart from there newer than 2 years old... their employees stated in Dec'06 they were 2 years old, they also went on to say I should have done more research before buying a TomTom...

make of it what you want, I for one will not be buying maps from TomTom in a hurry
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
Not likely to happen though with the level of copy protection that TomTom uses. When you buy your map, it is personalised to the individual device code of your satnav, and can't be activated in any other unit. So you can copy maps to your heart's content and put them in any other unit. You can buy maps dirt cheap on E-bay and they can be installed on any unit. The only thing you can't do is activate them!!

Of course you can. TT's copy protection is pretty basic.

Anyway, can't one purchase maps for a 910 from TT and activate them legitimately on say a 510? Assuming the SD card is big enoough.
Das_EEjit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a Tom Tom One "New Version" after returning a Navman F20 which couldn't find it's way back to a marked GPS location.

Neither of these devices can cope with where I live. The Navman tried to take me to a point 2 miles away, whilst both devices try to take me down a road which has been closed at both ends for at least 5 years. The TomTom then tries to kill me by telling me to turn right across a dual carriageway which has no turning point at that point.

The annoying thing is, Microsoft Autoroute with GPS knew exactly where I lived, knew the layout of new roads, and a change in layout of an older road. For once Microsoft seem to score over application specific devices.
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The things you are talking about are map errors, these aren't tomtoms fault, blame the map data providers.

I be more worried about a device not being able to find a location i'd never been to before, not so much the intricacies of where i live. I can just about remember where i live so i don't need the satnav here. Laughing
brians530
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just spent £67.82 on the new EU tomtom maps downloaded and my first day out guess what??????????
The new bypass road thru COULSDON A23 that took over 3 years to build and has only just open and is not on the map surprise surprise, if they can miss major roads then I don’t hold much hope for tomtom and I feel we are being miss informed, when its said UPDATED MAPS where’s the update if they are unable to do a simple road upgrade and how do we know it has been upgraded?? we are taking them on trust as there is no way we can check what has been updated. Okay there may be extra POI's etc but we need accurate maps

I use my tomtom every day for my work and it is very important to me and you hope that things like major road updates would be at the top of the list especially as they state they have people going around the country/EU checking for changes in roads and layouts.

So where do we go from here????????????

Brian Sad
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, where you go from here is to report the errors to TeleAtlas and NAVTEQ. I've already done it but the more the merrier. Then you read the article on this site about how long it takes to make the digital maps. A search of the site should turn that up for you. Finally, you use the new bypass safe in the knowledge that your satnav will catch up with you once you reach the other end.
brians530
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, thank you
I was aware that tomtom picks up your road again and puts you back on track as that happens on A22 where there is a new bypass thats ok if you are useing the road to go on thru, the problem was I wasnt and I was coming of one of its slip road halfway along it was good fortune my passenger new the way at that point so no problem.

Cheers

Brian
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not in the habit of standing up for TeleAtlas etc, but in this case I think they can't win!
Brian says "has only just open and is not on the map surprise surprise".

If they HAD put this new road on the maps months before it opened, there would have been loads of people complaining about non-existant roads, and being led onto a building site.

Save the brickbats for roads that have been open for years and still aren't right!
brians530
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reply would be th same as Tim Buxtons "quote" Finally, you use the new bypass safe in the knowledge that your satnav will catch up with you once you reach the other end. "un quote" it would keep you on the old road

Thank you
Brian

PS so if it takes 3 years to build a bypass etc you will not see it on your tomtom maps for say 4/6 years going by what has been said on the forum
No point in updating!!
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brians530 wrote:
PS so if it takes 3 years to build a bypass etc you will not see it on your tomtom maps for say 4/6 years going by what has been said on the forum
No point in updating!!

However, none of the really major road improvements would be on your maps either and I think Teleatlas concentrate on those. Of course, we don't get many of those in the UK but in France they are completing major Autoroute bits often which makes some long-haul routes change dramatically.
nmbaker
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: In support of TomTom Reply with quote

I know a lot of you are critical, but in all honesty, I have always had tip top support from the guys at support. Sometimes incorrect information admittedly, but I travel between 2000 and 3500 miles a week and a lot in europe, particularly in the eastern end. You know the latest two countries in the EU. Well I have reported a lot of errors over the last 5 years and many have been resolved, some remain to be. But I have found that the Western & Central Europe to be better than the individual maps with mfwe or even than western europe. I am home in UK now, but on wednesday, I drive to Bucuresti again, hitting some 60 banks on the way. No I am not a bank robber, but we use team to update banks sometimes manually when problems occur using network.
I am really pleased with TomTom, I used Dell Axim X51v in past but now I bought Go510 from www.cpc.co.uk and I have all the maps running on Go510 which came as v6.522,but automatically upgraded to v6.525. I actually bought this personally using my company buying power and I am really pleased.

So there are some errors in the maps - you think this is abnormal? Try using a new A to Z map. I bet there are errors there too.

At least TomTom will talk to you and help you where possible. Sometimes, you just have to ask nicely. Stop moaning and be realistic. A map is only like an MOT, good for the day it was rested.
TTCams latest 19/05/09 Traffic - live
SDHC 16GB
skr00ge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living and working in Cornwall leaves me with just about every long journey "off map". Major work on the A30 means trouble. Each month, a high vehicle used the hit the iron bridge near Roche and shut the A30.

Stupidly, I send data back to TomTom to update their expected journey times. As part of this they could quite easily see which parts of my journey are off map. They can see how many of their customers are travelling off map.

A priority list of "off map" journeys can be created.
They should send this off to the mappers who can then just do their jobs.

The maps are just data and data can easily be changed. Create an "update" for the map. This alters the underlying data to reflect the map change. These changes/deltas can be released every month, just like the traffic cam locations. You can apply them in the TomTom software on the PC. Any problems just revert to the old map.

Create a subscription model for the updates, about £3 a month, bob's your uncle.

I'm not going to buy new maps as the A30 will not be fully open for a few months and I'll wait now for the next generation of sat navs to come out with equally old maps which include the changes.

So TomTom can have none of my money for an already out of date map upgrade or they can get the subscription model above working and get some of my money regularly.

Cheers.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: