Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is there away to add mass amounts of POI in TomTom USA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there away to add mass amounts of POI in TomTom USA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raaaaaa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Is there away to add mass amounts of POI in TomTom USA Reply with quote

I know this is a mainly Eurpean Forum, but I thought I would give it a try since you guys have a huge leg up on us YANKS when it comes to POI.

I want to add all of the Harley Davidson dealers into my TOMTOM usa.
Can this be done? if no, can it be done with the new version that is coming out at the end of the month?

thanks in advance, and sorry if I posted this question in the wrong place
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi raaaaaa,

raaaaaa wrote:
I want to add all of the Harley Davidson dealers into my TOMTOM usa.
Can this be done? if no, can it be done with the new version that is coming out at the end of the month?

The current versions off all TomTom products (Navigator, Go, Mobile, etc) will handle POIs. The new versions will also handle POIs.

I’m not aware of any Harley Davidson dealership POI available for the USA. If there was then you could just load it up and use it.

Therefore you may have to create your own POI. You’ll need to find out the name and position (latitude and longitude in map datum WGS84) of each dealer and compile it into an .OV2 file with a relevant .BMP file too. There’s a very good guide on POI creation here.

Once you’ve created a Harley Davidson USA dealership POI and you’re happy to share it then we’d be happy to host it on our POI page. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
raaaaaa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the addresses of all the dealers, do I need the longitude and latitude for each one?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi raaaaaa,

raaaaaa wrote:
I have the addresses of all the dealers, do I need the longitude and latitude for each one?

Yes you will need the Longitude and latitude of each Dealership. E.g.:

H-D Of Bergen County, 124 Essex Street, Rochelle Park, NJ, USA 07662.

Using an online map like MultiMap, the Longitude and latitude can be found, i.e.:
Lat: (40.8943)
Lon: (-74.077)

So you’ll end up with the following:

Longitude, Latitude, "Name"
-74.077, 40.8943, "H-D Of Bergen County"

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
raaaaaa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see,

OK, well it is tedious but doable. I will not need ot until end of July so a little a day would keep me from pulling all my hair out. I will of course wait to see if tom tom navigator 5 will have them already and if they do not, I will start the endless quest.
raaaaaa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more question, how do I pull this address up when in tom tom?
in other words when i click on POI how will it find the dealers? do I have to use the same type of name on all dealers? ie: HD bergen county.
being that they all have there own name. should all the names have some type of similarities?
thanks in advance
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raaaaaa wrote:

If you have the addresses in a text or Excel file then it would be quicker to format it for import into MapPoint or Pocket Streets to create pushpins. If you can do that then it is possible to extract the data from the map file and output it to a TomTom POI overlay using a program of mine.
raaaaaa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
raaaaaa wrote:

If you have the addresses in a text or Excel file then it would be quicker to format it for import into MapPoint or Pocket Streets to create pushpins. If you can do that then it is possible to extract the data from the map file and output it to a TomTom POI overlay using a program of mine.

I have them on text format and tried to add them to exel format and then tried to add it to my copilot live 4. I almost threw the keyboard across the room trying to get copilot to recognize at least one address.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raaaaaa wrote:
OK, well it is tedious but doable.

I agree, but at least I did the first one for you. ;) Seriously how many Harley-Davison dealers are there in the USA?

raaaaaa wrote:
in other words when i click on POI how will it find the dealers? do I have to use the same type of name on all dealers? ie: HD bergen county.
being that they all have there own name. should all the names have some type of similarities?
thanks in advance

The POI should work like any other POI. If you want to find the nearest one, as long as you have a GPS fix, then your TomTom should find the nearest one in a straight line and not necessarily by road.

If you’re creating the POI then you can decide on the format and how much or how little information you give. Don’t forget that the POI is a map position so TomTom knows where it is. You can search for a particular text string that can be in any part of the name. In some POIs that I’ve created I’ve included "Dealer name, address, telephone number".

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
raaaaaa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
raaaaaa wrote:
OK, well it is tedious but doable.

I agree, but at least I did the first one for you. ;) Seriously how many Harley-Davidson dealers are there in the USA?

raaaaaa wrote:
thanks in advance

The POI should work like any other POI. If you want to find the nearest one, as long as you have a GPS fix, then your Tom Tom should find the nearest one in a straight line and not necessarily by road.

If you’re creating the POI then you can decide on the format and how much or how little information you give. Don’t forget that the POI is a map position so Tom Tom knows where it is. You can search for a particular text string that can be in any part of the name. In some POIs that I’ve created I’ve included "Dealer name, address, telephone number".

Regards,

How many dealers, well a rough estimate based on how many txt files I have multiplied by how many dealers are on each file about 1000 dealers

I would like it to find it by road, i mean I would like to be on a highway and punch up "Harley Davidson" in the POI and it shows me all the ones in my vicinity. then I pick one and it shows me the route to take to get to it. is that how it works or do I need to input abit more info to achieve this?
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think that preparing a file for import into a mapping program is your best bet. I should have said Microsoft Streets and Trips which is the US version of the UK AutoRoute. The Microsoft mapping programs should recognise the addresses.
raaaaaa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Hi raaaaaa,

raaaaaa wrote:

Yes you will need the Longitude and latitude of each Dealership. E.g.:

H-D Of Bergen County, 124 Essex Street, Rochelle Park, NJ, USA 07662.

Using an online map like MultiMap, the Longitude and latitude can be found, i.e.:
Lat: (40.8943)
Lon: (-74.077)

So you’ll end up with the following:

Longitude, Latitude, "Name"
-74.077, 40.8943, "H-D Of Bergen County"

Regards,

first thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated.

I have all of NJ which has about 20 dealers and let me tell you it is time consuming. I used the website you mention above but I found that is is not that accurate. the addresses are off about 4-5 blocks on average. i see you can pay to get more accurate addresses but it will take me too long. so I decided to use my old copilot live 4 desktop software to get the longitude and latitude. after using it for about 30 minutes I remembered why I hated this piece of @#$%^& software. it is the most useless garbage I have ever used. (well not that useless I still need it to get the LONG LATT)
I would punch the address in and it would give me only the towns, when I out the streets it would disregard it all to gether and just route me to the town. I had to fight with it for every street. ie: 617 main street I had to put just main street then look for 617. that not all when I would finally get to the address I was looking for, there was a little icon that says "Harley Davidson".

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

So I figured it would be easier to just look for POI, out of all of the Harley Davidson dealers I looked for 10 where there but it would find them under the POI.

I think I am going to just put the dealers that I might encounter along my journey from NJ to California and back, which is about 25 states still allot of dealers.

Tom Tom told me when I called them 2 days ago that there new version will come out on the 20th of this month. I think I will wait free upgrade or not I have to get it any way.
raaaaaa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
I still think that preparing a file for import into a mapping program is your best bet. I should have said Microsoft Streets and Trips which is the US version of the UK AutoRoute. The Microsoft mapping programs should recognise the addresses.

I tried that with copilot live 4 and I could not get even one to work.
raaaaaa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:

i JUST GOT mICROSOFT STREETS AND TRIPS. i WILL SEE IF i CAN DO IT THAT WAY

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: