Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOMGo old hat ??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOMGo old hat ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: TOMTOMGo old hat ?? Reply with quote

are we the TomTomGo generation now like the first PC computer generation?? Twisted Evil

Always out of date -with slow processors etc ? Evil or Very Mad

Are the manufacturers taking us down the path the same as we took with computers 286 -386 486 Pentium etc..

I can see the time when we will be clamouring for the latest device... let alone the latest maps or firm wear... Idea Idea

and all I wanted was a navigation tool !!! Embarassed
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually us Garmin GPS8 owners have long since occupied that spot! 8 Channels, selective availability, no mapping. And then there was the Navman iPAQ Jackets with there varying ability to aquire a lock, no voice routing etc etc.!

Seriously though, GPS as a consumer device has only just started, detailed 3D mapping with buildings etc, 3d contouring and much more is on the horizon, indoor GPS reception is very nearly here with SiRFStarIII and much more.

It's a fact of life that modern devices are out of date by the time they are launched with their replacements already on the drwaing board as you hand your cash over the counter!
docdoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: TOMTOMGo old hat ?? Reply with quote

Fibre wrote:
I can see the time when we will be clamouring for the latest device... let alone the latest maps or firm wear...

So are you into corsets then? Wink
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: TOMTOMGo old hat ?? Reply with quote

Fibre wrote:
are we the TomTomGo generation now like the first PC computer generation?? Twisted Evil

Always out of date -with slow processors etc ? Evil or Very Mad

Are the manufacturers taking us down the path the same as we took with computers 286 -386 486 Pentium etc..

I can see the time when we will be clamouring for the latest device... let alone the latest maps or firm wear... Idea Idea

and all I wanted was a navigation tool !!! Embarassed

Yes, but old computers are still capable of doing what they originally did - running DOS-based word processors and spreadsheets, etc. Problem is that our perceived 'needs' keep getting elevated by seeing what is currently available.

If your TTG MkI does everything you want it to, just enjoy it and don't worry about all the gizzmos with which the makers are trying to seduce you into buying a new model!

I shall, of course, take advantage of free software upgrades for my TTG - but I'm certaining not planning to shell out another 400 quid or more in the foreseeable future.

Roger
DocL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: GO Redundancy Reply with quote

Quote:
If your TTG MkI does everything you want it to, just enjoy it and don't worry about all the gizzmos with which the makers are trying to seduce you into buying a new model!

I shall, of course, take advantage of free software upgrades for my TTG - but I'm certaining not planning to shell out another 400 quid or more in the foreseeable future

Totally agree with Roger; why pay more for next generation gizmos when the one you've got already does the job??

Which begs the question, Fibre; why are you giving your TT-GO to your son, and what are you getting to replace it?? Wink Laughing
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
indoor GPS reception is very nearly here with SiRFStarIII .

Laughing
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Wishlist"]
Darren wrote:
indoor GPS reception is very nearly here with SiRFStarIII .

What hope is there for someone who can’t navigate about indoors without a GPS?? :D :D I ask this tongue in cheek of course! Laughing I am thinking how Jane would give the instructions…after 5 feet turn right at the next door then you have reached the kitchen! Laughing
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishlist wrote:

What hope is there for someone who can’t navigate about indoors without a GPS?? :D :D I ask this tongue in cheek of course! Laughing I am thinking how Jane would give the instructions…after 5 feet turn right at the next door then you have reached the kitchen! Laughing

But would you take her to the bathroom?'Wink'

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider the scenarios for using nav as a pedestrian guide. The enhanced sensitivity of SirfStarIII allows you to be guided along city streets, through arcades etc without loising lock. Even when you do SSIII can reaquire in <5 secs in real world tests.

I realise that there is little practical use for indoor GPS currently but there are applications such as guides for big exhibitions e.g. Motor Show, Ideal Home Show etc that are being considered. You would get a detailed exhibition map on a 12Mb SD Card for the price of the standard show guide and this would also contain detailed exhibitor information etc.
Heydude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course indoor/outdoor GPS would be great for the blind! 8)

But we would of course get all sorts of evil abuse by our Goverments / and terrorists! Rolling Eyes

tis just the way the world is!

Beam me up snotty! Smile
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Wishlist wrote:

Oh no no no.... despite her voice, she does not want to get moist! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wishlist wrote:
Oldboy wrote:
Wishlist wrote:

Oh no no no.... despite her voice, she does not want to get moist! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Poetic also. You never fail to amaze me.'Evil or Very Mad'

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: