Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - route 66 features
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

route 66 features

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gangalee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: route 66 features Reply with quote

Hello

I am considering purchasing Route 66 software for my HP 2190.
I just sold copilot 6 & I am looking for some software to replace it.

I would be grateful if anyone could answer a few queries-:

1. I am aware that you can import speed cameras, but can you see graphical representation of them on the map?
2. Can you import other custom poi,s ie low bridges ect.? & see graphical representation of them on the map?

2. Can the Poi's be alerted with wav files? or equivelant?

3. Can you customise the route generation to prefer certain types of road?

4. Can you block roads?

5. Will it work with my Blue Tooth GPS? or wired GPS

6. Does it support multiple waypoints?

Thanking you in advance
Lowbridge-Speed Camera Data
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: route 66 features Reply with quote

gangalee wrote:
1. I am aware that you can import speed cameras, but can you see graphical representation of them on the map?

Yes the speed cameras show up on the map, no problem in either 3D or 2D type display.

gangalee wrote:
2. Can you import other custom poi,s ie low bridges ect.? & see graphical representation of them on the map?

Yes, in the same way you can import the speed camera database to the R66 software. Although you will need to convert the database you are trying to load into the correct format the R66 software understands (trust me its not rocket science)

gangalee wrote:
2. Can the Poi's be alerted with wav files? or equivelant?

.wav files do not work, however if you use the .OGG file format you will be OK, the R66 software seems to work well with audio sampled at 22050Hz (the same as TomTom for the PDA Wink ) - its not too difficult to convert any wav files to OGG format using freeware applications - just watch the sample rate.

gangalee wrote:
3. Can you customise the route generation to prefer certain types of road?

I don't think so - any changes to the road speeds only appear to alter the ETA not the actual route, I have tried putting in 1MPH for motorways but it still goes for the motorway each time, so I guess not.

gangalee wrote:
4. Can you block roads?

Yes - it is possible to avoid Motorways/ toll roads and ferries, you can also select a number of options for the route type:
Fastest/ Car
Shortest/ Car
Fastest/ Lorry
Shortest/ Lorry
Pedestrian
Fastest/ shortest does give a different route each time but the vehicle type appears to make little difference.

gangalee wrote:
5. Will it work with my Blue Tooth GPS? or wired GPS

It will work with any GPS device presented to the unit BT/ Wired / CF, or built in.

gangalee wrote:
6. Does it support multiple waypoints?

You can plan a trip via multiple destinations - use the Plan A-B option to enter the first point, after which you are then asked to add subsequent destinations, the software will not optimise the route but it will permit multiple destinations - Mike
gangalee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! You have been a great help! It seems like a decent piece of software, I will get myself a copy in the not to distant future!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one major problem though it hangs on to a chosen route for far too long, if you decide you know better (traffic conditions/ time of day etc) go down your chosen route for a while, put up with the persistant exit, turn around or make a U turn nagging that the unit issues. Then hit Navigate To/ History and re-select the original destination, my unit hung on to the original planned route for over 200 miles last week, it kept me amused on the long drive home though! - I should have hit the re-route manualy to force the software to re-plan earlier, it was just out of interest I let it do its own thing - Mike
gangalee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you turn the re-route calculation off? As a Trucker I have learned not to trust re-route in areas I have no knowledge off! Because you may get re-routed under a low bridge with no easy escape route! On the garmin units if you turn off rerouting, it will warn you once that you are off-route! Then when you get back onto any part of the route it will continue as normal.

One more question that needs clarifying do you get a list/intinery of the route generated? One that you can scroll through to check or modfy?
And while checking are all poi visible?
I am asking because this feature will make checking for low bridges on-route easier.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gangalee wrote:
Can you turn the re-route calculation off?
No it is not possible to turn this "feature" on and off, it remains on at all times.
gangalee wrote:
One more question that needs clarifying do you get a list/intinery of the route generated? One that you can scroll through to check or modfy?
You can pull up a list of the route and check though it, although it is not possible to modify the route from this screen.
ganalee wrote:
And while checking are all poi visible?
I am asking because this feature will make checking for low bridges on-route easier.
Yes the POI are visable on the map when viewed, have a read through THIS as it should give you an idea of the software in use - Mike
gangalee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the review! Very good & timely, I have ordered the software from www.66.com. To be honest I was thinking of buying this software before I read the review, but your review has come out at the same time as I was thinking of buying it . I could do with a block road feature, but I can work around that with multiple waypoints. When it arrives I will let you know how I get on with it! Thanks for all your help
gangalee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its arrived BUT:
Below is a copy of an email I have sent to Route 66 support,
Feel free to comment if you can help!

I am having problems getting the route 66 software running on my HP iPAQ hx2190 PPC.
Any attempt to calculate a route results in the software either locking up or closing itself down.

The exact symptoms are as follows:
A black line appears at the top of the screen, the windows screen reappears, and the machine locks up, whenever you attempt to calculate a route using the Route A to B option/Route A to B to C option. further investigation shows the program has quit & is no longer running in memory.

When you have a valid GPS position, any attempt to route to a location using the "navigate to" option results in the machine going into "calculating route" mode and NEVER returning with a route.

1. The installation process works fine & the software is installed on the SD card OK.
2. After inserting the card the software is installed on machine OK.
3. Activation is OK.
4. I have tried numerous configurations including 256 & 512 SD card, installing to card/device, Clean reset, & the result is always the same.
4. I have gone to the www.66.com site & downloaded the latest update. after installing the update every menu & icon is renamed "NULL_STRING"
& result is the same as before.

The website says that the software is compatible with my machine, but I am wondering if this is true! could some one enlighten me as to what the problem is?

Specifications: HP iPAQ hx2190, Windows mobile v 5.0, OS 5.1.1702, Route 66 v.7.0.990
gangalee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After nearly a full week dealing with route 66 support, I still cannot get the route 66 software working on my machine. I have decided to uninstall the bug ridden piece of ****, & I will not be re-installing it, so if anyone wants to make me an offer, you’re welcome......

In my opinion-:
1. Route 66 have not tested the application on all the machines they have listed on their site.
2. Support is of very poor quality, in fact laughable in most cases, but I am not finding it so funny when I have paid £80+ for navigation software that will not navigate.

I will be demanding a full refund from Route66 & I will never have any dealings with these comedians again.
ddhytz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved?
eirlink
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threr is a software bug in route 66 and they are aware of it.I got the fix along with Q2 maps last friday week.no problems now.but before the fix it was virtually unusable.crashed overy time I went off route and most times would not calculate a route at all.
Patience won out in the end and all is well.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: