Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOM TOM PRODUCT CODE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOM TOM PRODUCT CODE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrissieb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: TOM TOM PRODUCT CODE Reply with quote

I want to update my tom tom with an upgrade chip that I bought.It is asking for a product code but havent got one as I bought it off E-bay and the seller said he didnt have it either.Is there any way around this and will a code from another unit work? Crying or Very sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What 'upgrade' was this? By 'Chip' I presume you mean an SD Memory Card.

What is the upgrade supposes to give you?
chrissieb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: TOM TOM PRODUCT CODE Reply with quote

Its a 512MB Card that I purchased it from e-bay has current camera data base and extra points of interest.It asked for the product code when I replace it with my current card
Frazzle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you've said \i am assuming you have a Tom Tom Go which you bought and ran with the 128Mb SDcard.

You have now bought a 512MB SD card on eBay and the TTG wants a product code to activate it.

That is perfectly normal and a form of copyright protection that TT use.

When you bought your Tom Tom Go it came with a CD. On the back of the CD envelope is a product code. The ghave to go to www.ttcode.com which is a registration web site. At the web site you enter the product code from your original CD envelope and the TTG device code which it should be showing you when asking for the activation code. If not put in your old card and go to the TTG information page wher it will tell you it's device number.

OK after you have entered the required info at the TTCODE site you will be given an activation code.

Enter the activation code into your TTG when requested to do so.

Your new 512MB and software will be activated.

Oh and if you have not got your original CD envelope and product code you are really stuck as Tom Tom don't seem to be very helpful at the moment on this particular issue.

Hope this helps

Fraser
chrissieb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: TOM TOM PRODUCT CODE Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply but I guess im really stuck then as the Cd came in a flimsy plastic case and I dont have any of the other literature that contains the code.I have seen that a few other Tom Tom users have had the same problems as me, a few of these users said that their codes were never in the box when they purchased their units.I am quite happy with the unit but think that they could have put the product code on the unit itself where the mount fits in perhaps, instead of putting it on a sticky label or a card that can easily be lost.This is a fault in what I otherwise think is a great unit.I contacted Tom Tom and they replied "This is why we say never purchase secondhand units,we suggest you send it back to the person that you purchased it from" Great help that was!! Confused
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you bought a copy of TT software, not the original SD card. If that is the case why would you expect TT to help you?
nich
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: why Reply with quote

I too ordered the map upgrades on 25th paid 147 euros. Taken from my c card. Found out i didn't need both upgrades for UK and western Europe. Tried to cancel (same day) tt said i could not. With order status "in the warehouse" complained last night again. They have now cancelled my FULL order, not just the GB part as requested. Fine, but Ive tried to place a new order for western maps only and the site wont except my Production code. I checked it against the one store on my details at tt and it is correct.

any ideas.

PS keep asking for tt to cancel the unwanted orders. They cant keep you money for 6 weeks.
nich
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: why again Reply with quote

i have just received a reply from tt saying if i send my production code they will UNBLOCK it. Why block it in the first place? I only cancelled an order. I don't think i like tt communications much.
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your productcode is blocked for additional upgrades and activations, when you ordered the upgrade. How else would TomTom prevent you from upgrading multiple times with the same productcode?
Since you will receive a new productcode with the upgrade SD or cd set, your old productcode is useless anyway.

Because you canceled your order, TomTom have to unblock your code again. Seems normal to me.
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been explained elsewhere, but it basically goes like this. First, save the contents of your original SD card onto your hard drive. Save the new POIs etc. from the 512 card also, and then wipe the new card clean. Then transfer all the data from the original card on to the new 512 card, add the new POIs and it should work.
nich
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the best way to Block product codes would be at the time of registering the new updates not when you order it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nich wrote:
Surely the best way to Block product codes would be at the time of registering the new updates not when you order it.

No because it wouldn't stop scammers buying multiple copies from TomTom and then flogging them on eBay. The buyers would not be able to register them but it would be too late by then.
nich
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to think of every posible scam. What a world we live in.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nich wrote:
You have to think of every posible scam. What a world we live in.

Indeed. Take a look at eBay and do a search for TomTom. There are low life's there selling our FREE database and POI compilation's of data leeched from us and other enthusiast sites and provided by the authors FOC.

There are others selling the GO V5 upgrade which is a FREE download from TomTom and also Mobile and other GPS software that is clearly pirated.

I don't know whether to be angry with the thieves selling the data (or just the link in many cases) or the fools who pay for the link rather than spend 10 secs at Google!!
nich
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes al sorts.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: