Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - So confused my head hurts, anybody able 2 help a learner? :)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

So confused my head hurts, anybody able 2 help a learner? :)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hayley_star
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: So confused my head hurts, anybody able 2 help a learner? :) Reply with quote

Hi,

I luckily found this site, hope somebody here can help me and give me some advice. Id like to apologise completely in advance for my lack of knowledge I know it must be frustrating for those in the know. Embarassed

Basically Ive been looking at getting some kind of sat nav which I can use on my laptop which I can use in my car to guide me about when driving. I do a fair bit of travelling across the UK, and a little in Europe (mainly holidays etc), and am terrible with directions so if I had a system to guide the way my life would be a whole lot easier and less stressfull. :D I thankfully found this site and read through the review of certain bits of kit but am completely dumbfounded with what I should be plumpling for. Theres so much to know! Thats where I hope someone here can help. ;)

I think I need a GPS unit which I can link to my little laptop in car. Basically I want a system where it can guide me clearly and easily while im racking up the miles. My laptop has both usb and bluetooth connections. The thing ive seen there are many reviews of various gps units and im a bit overwhelmed, even more so when a lot of them have very good marks. Can someone please advise me which one is generally regarded as the latest and best for the purpose I need it for. Im not really bothered about whether its connected via usb cable or bluetooth (though cableless would be nice), though money is an issue (ive just finished uni) so i dont want to spend too much. ;)

I also guess I need some kind of map software to go onto my laptop, can someone kindly advise me which would be a good (and affordable) option for my needs.

Sorry for being a nuisance, I really hope someone can advise me on what to get.

Thanks in advance.

Hayley. Smile

(p.s. I think I just need the software and GPS unit, I guess I just plug/connect the reciever and install the software right? Knowing where to buy the stuff would also be great, again Im pretty poor so the cheaper the better. ;))
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is very little to choose from to operate from a laptop, most people use PDAs which are much smaller and can be mounted at eye level. The two programs which run from laptops are CoPilot Live 7 and Infomap Navigator. If you look at the sidebar you can read reviews by clicking on the link GPS Reviews>PC GPS Software>Street routing software.
Both seem to have their flaws.
Three problems with voice navigation with a laptop
1. How do you mount it securely?
2. You need to look away from the road if you have it on the seat beside you
3 They don't have touch sensitive screens
If you decide to go for the PDA solution there is much more choice available - you should read users comments in this forum - each of the major brands has a dedicated forum page here
Robin
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Garmin GPS10 Bluetooth receiver which comes with Mapsource CitySelect maps with Mapsource software, nRoute software for PC and Que software for PPC. It was £190 from www.gpsw.co.uk. I haven't tried nRoute yet but the Que software, whilst basic in its delivery, is functional.

You can read about the GPS10 here. There is also a GPS18 which is a wired receiver for laptops here.
hayley_star
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies Smile. I dont really want to get a pda because I havent really the budget for one, I just want to get a system going as cheaply as possible. I was hoping whatever software I get that it will have voice directions, so I wont need to look at the screen too much.

Are the following the only PC compatible navigational software available?:

CoPilot Live 7
Infomap Navigator
nRoute

If so which would be the best and which the cheapest? Another question is, would most bluetooth/usb gps recievers work with this?

Again, sorry for the nuisance, Im working on a shoe string budget here.

(p.s. i found info map, does this look like a good deal? thanks for all the help. ;))
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

InfoMap is by far the cheapest and a good workable solution.
hayley_star
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so ive decided on the software. Smile not sure if it works with bluetooth GPS units though so can someone please advise me on the best usb gps unit to use with this?

thanks for all the help guys. Smile
hayley_star
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry couldnt edit the last post. i see that i can buy a bundle direct from info map. it comes with this usb gps reciever:

http://www.directions.ltd.uk/moreinfo.php?id=2105

would anyone recommend I go for this bundle, or is this usb reciever pants and I should look for a different one?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

InfoMap will work with any NMEA GPS unit, all BT ones use virtual COM Ports and InfoMap will work happily with these.

Fortuna, GlobalSat and Leadtek are good brands for Bt and USB/Serial.

e.g. http://www.handnav.co.uk/product_details.php?id=48
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hayley_star wrote:
sorry couldnt edit the last post. i see that i can buy a bundle direct from info map. it comes with this usb gps reciever:

http://www.directions.ltd.uk/moreinfo.php?id=2105

would anyone recommend I go for this bundle, or is this usb reciever pants and I should look for a different one?

That would be fine and the USB receiver will work !
hayley_star
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry im being thick again Embarassed , does that mean they would work with a bluetooth gps unit, like the ones reviewed on this site?
hayley_star
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it infomap does work with bluetooth devices then i may plump for the 'HOLUX GR-231' do you guys think this would this be a good choice? :D
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Might be worth checking this out - http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=20057

Steve
Nissan Connect
hayley_star
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks but Ive managed to order a HOLUX GR-231 off ebay for just £73, im just trying to find out where I can by infomap 4.3 (europe) at a good price now. Wink

I also havent a clue how Im going to secure my laptop in the car, I cant find any holders etc anywhere. Confused
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try here

With delivery it's about £5 cheaper than Directions.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hayley id advise getting an inverter to power the laptop in the car maplins do some good fairly cheep ones what ever you do stay away from the 150 watt one as these have no cooling fans and will shut off after around 5 mins the ones to go for are the 300watt ones as they will power the laptop very eaisily for as long as your driving

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: