Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Card Won't Format :(
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Card Won't Format :(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tals
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Card Won't Format :( Reply with quote

Ok I have a problem. I was having lockups after upgrading to 5.10 so I thought the best solution would be to quick format the card and copy back the backup.

I did the quickformat - after hanging for ages it came back windows could not complete the format. I then turned of the TTG and could see a removable hard drive so I tried entering it - it asked whether I wanted to format the unformatted so I did (fat32?). Again after zooming through (120MB) at the end it hung. I then tried with fat. Still the same problem.

Any ideas - are their any other tools to do this?

Tals
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you back up the card before doing the format as formatting will delete the card totally did you leave lock on little slide on left of the sd card

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Frazzle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say it sounds like a duff SDcard.

Have you or a friend got a digital camera that takes SDcards ? If so, try doing a format ina a camera. If it fails you have a duff card.

The way I always test my cards is using a USB card reader as these atre cheap, fast and remove the TTG from the equation. If you can borrow one, try formatting the card again. If it works try a format using the TTG. If that fails then the TTG may have some "issues" to be investigated.

Sadly I have heard of SDcards that can be read perfectly but cannot be formatted or have data written to them. No idea why, must be a failure in the data write hardware in the SDcard. ( know the SDcard has security hardware/firmware built in....I wonder if this fails and causes the problems ?

Your SDcard should be coverede under a warranty so you could get a replacement free of charge.

Hope you get it sorted.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a Full Format and see if it helps. The Quick Format only overwrites the FAT whereas a Full rebuilds it.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
tals
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately a full format seems to do the same thing - persumably their are no other tools (I can see panasonic have an sd formatter tool but it doesn't work)

I'm just nipping down to the shops to get a 256 module - £16 so seems quite a good deal. Persumably I should be able to just copy my backup onto that?

Tals
tals
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK bought a 256MB card (bit more comfortable with that anyway as it was pretty close before and only £16) Tom Tom up and running thank fully. Anyone else have experience on returning duff SD cards and what needs to be done?

Tals
Twompy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: SD Woes Reply with quote

I had a similar problem, in that I could not format a new 256 San Disk SD card using my tomtom go 300. I tried switching both the computer and tomtom on and off but to no avail. Also tried copying my master copy from the Pc straight to the card, but this did not work.

In the end I placed the card in a Palm Pilot and formatted the card. Then after returning the card to the tomtom it worked perfectly. Have just copied the contents of the original tomtom SD to the new 256 one!

Have also downloaded the 5.10 update with no problems. This means the original card stays safe!!! Smile
terryuk22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: format Reply with quote

i use a 11 in 1 card reader if you still get probs im happy to try to do it here for you
intergal cards are crap btw
tals
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: format Reply with quote

terryuk22 wrote:
i use a 11 in 1 card reader if you still get probs im happy to try to do it here for you
intergal cards are crap btw

Appretiate the offer. However I reported it to tom tom and they are replacing the card - very impressed with their level of service. I've also bought a 256MB card anyway as I really feel the 128MB are just too close for comfort. For the extra £8 it would have cost Tom Tom it really was a bad move IMHO.

Tals

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: