Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - maps of western europe update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

maps of western europe update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abbott
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: maps of western europe update Reply with quote

hi..
i have asked tomtom this question..
i have all the maps of western europe on one sd card,
at the moment if i leave the ferry port in belguim and want to go to my friends house in germany i have to use major roads of western europe to get me over the german border then switch to the german map on the ttg screen.then ttg will get me to his house.then i want to go to another friends house in france.so i have to use major roads of western europe to get me over the french border,then switch ttg to the french map to get me to his house..and so on for any other country..if i upgrade will i be able to navigate to any country that is on my sd card at street level????
this is there reply..
Thanks for your e-mail.

Even if you update your full packet of Maps of Western Europe (MOWE) you will still have to switch to the map of the country where your friends are.use the major roads to get into the country and then, switch to the map of that country. The door-to-door planning in Europe will be only possible for TomTom GO 700

so how can tomtom say in there advert that it is seamless navigation when nothing has change as to how you have to navigate in europe
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still have to switch maps, but with the 'Plus' maps you can navigate over the border, either from a street detail map or to a street level detail map. So in that sense it is true that you will have seamless cross-border navigation.

But you will not have one map with street level detail for both Benelux and Germany. If you want street level detail in both regions, you still have to switch maps. But you can already switch the moment you are on a main road, so only the first few miles you may need a detailed map of your departure.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to swap maps, use the Plus map of the destination country all the way.

You can usually find you way to a major road from your current position. The follow the major roads, which you probably will anyway, to the "new" country. Once over the border you get the detail to find the small place you want.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how this PLUS map business is actually implemented. It seems to me that there are two possibilities, and I wonder which one they use.

Possibility 1
Each individual region (country) map has MRE integrated with it - so each map - as supplied on the CD - is much bigger than before, and the MRE bit is effectively repeated 16 times.

Possibility 2
Region maps and MRE are separate, but there is a clever installer program which can instal one region map plus MRE on the sd card - and make them look like one continuous map. This would take up a lot less CD space, and would also give the option of NOT using a plus map if you only had a small SD card.

Anyone know how they actually do it?

Roger
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an alternative....

If you want TRUE seamless navigation across europe at street level you could consider software such as Navman's SmartST or Garmin's MapSource City Navigator.

Of course that would mean changing your device.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: