Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce the GO map upgrades
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce the GO map upgrades
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tazcab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i now have my tomtom go working again all i did was put my new card into tomtom go reboot and it started working ,Laughing Out Loud

then i put my 512mb card into it and reboot again that works all so
so i am happy again, don`t know why it did`t work with my 512mb for the start? :D
marctwo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUGG*R!!! I made a backup of the new UK SD card I got today. Then I loaded on the speed camera database and something went wrong. The TomTom would not boot so I decided to restore the maps folder from my backup. Only problem is that the CNODE.DAT seems to be corrupt now.

Is there anything I can do? Can I simply get a copy of CNODE.DAT from somewhere and replace mine?

Please help!
marctwo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marctwo wrote:
BUGG*R!!! I made a backup of the new UK SD card I got today. Then I loaded on the speed camera database and something went wrong. The TomTom would not boot so I decided to restore the maps folder from my backup. Only problem is that the CNODE.DAT seems to be corrupt now.

Is there anything I can do? Can I simply get a copy of CNODE.DAT from somewhere and replace mine?

Please help!

After my initial panic I realised that it might not be the file but that the SD card was full. I erased the card and copied all my backup files to it and it works again!!

So, I guess my new question is, how can I free up enough space on the supplied card to install the safety camera database etc? There only seem to be a couple of voices installed. Is there anything else I can get rid off?
crowman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tazcab wrote:
sorry i now have my tomtom go working again all i did was put my new card into tomtom go reboot and it started working ,lol

then i put my 512mb card into it and reboot again that works all so
so i am happy again, don`t know why it did`t work with my 512mb for the start? :D

That's what I had to do:

1) Copy favorites from old (512) SD, rename and place in new (256) SD card.
2) Cleared 512 card
3) Copy all files from 256 to 512
4) Insert 512 into TTG.
5) Activate, but this gives a 'invalid code' message??!?!?!
6) Reinsert 256 SD card
7) TomTomGo starts up ok (no activation asked for)
8) Re-insert 512 card, TTG now works fine :)

9) Copy over loades of extra POIs - my 512 card has 270mb free after I've finished (217mb used from 488 total).
crowman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marctwo wrote:
After my initial panic I realised that it might not be the file but that the SD card was full. I erased the card and copied all my backup files to it and it works again!!

So, I guess my new question is, how can I free up enough space on the supplied card to install the safety camera database etc? There only seem to be a couple of voices installed. Is there anything else I can get rid off?

If your credit card can accommodate it, you could get a larger SD card, Aria do a 512MG SD card for £25.26 inc VAT.
http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Name=MEM-SD-512

As stated above, I have the Camera database plus about 20 other POIs (including petrol) and I still have 270MB free.
crowman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or better still, a Kingston 512 card for 17.99 excluding delivery...

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/memory/Kingston/512MB/Secure/Digital/Card
nobodynice
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ordered from mymemory last friday and although it was dispatched on Monday it still hasn't arrived, so if you do buy make sure you don't want it in a hurry
ssnw1610
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(with usual apology for dumb newbie question)..

If there is still 270Mb left on the 512Mb card after copying your favourites, was a 512Mb card really necessary? Is there a performance advantage by using a larger capacity card?
nobodynice
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wanted it so i could include 3 other countries maps on it. i suppose a 256Mb would suffice for just the GB maps alone. but for the price difference always better to have the extra spare space for in the future you may need it
crowman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssnw1610 wrote:
(with usual apology for dumb newbie question)..

If there is still 270Mb left on the 512Mb card after copying your favourites, was a 512Mb card really necessary? Is there a performance advantage by using a larger capacity card?

My 512 card loses 24MB to the file system. Assuming this is the same for a 256 card, that leaves you with 234MB spare.

My new (GB only) maps plus extra POIs came to 217MB, that would leave just 17MB spare. Certainly not enough room to add a further map set, but you should be OK for further POIs.
marctwo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crowman wrote:
If your credit card can accommodate it, you could get a larger SD card, Aria do a 512MG SD card for £25.26 inc VAT.
http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Name=MEM-SD-512

As stated above, I have the Camera database plus about 20 other POIs (including petrol) and I still have 270MB free.

Thanks the suggestion and link but after paying out for the new maps and the 256MB card they came on (only reason I can think of why the maps cost so much), I don't really fancy buying yet another SD card as then I would have the old 128 and a 256 hanging around for no reason.

I'll have another look tonight to see if I can cram the safety camera database on there too.
ssnw1610
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The safety camera database files are quite small and fit onto the new GB card fine.

But, as with the original version there's not enough space for the Major Roads of Europe on the card supplied by TT. I really can't understand why they couldn't use a bit of common sense and offer the GB map on a 512Mb card for a few quid extra. Alternatively, why not provide a facility to upload Major Roads at country level, thereby reducing the file size(s)?

Anyway, I suppose users of the upgrade can now overwrite their original 128Mb GB card with the Major Roads of Europe map. Could someone please confirm whether this would work?
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the new GB map is a Plus map which already has MRE integrated with it?

Roger
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct the New GB maps include the Major Roads of Europe. So no need to install extra maps unless you have Maps of Western Europe to get detail of your destination.
ssnw1610
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, thanks Roger!

That's why I'm a beginner and you're advanced!
I take it all back then, and play with it a bit more before coming to further rash conclusions!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 10 of 22

Jump to: