Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom mobile 5 update available but for a price
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom mobile 5 update available but for a price
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flasher
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Tomtom mobile 5 update available but for a price Reply with quote

http://www.tomtom.com/shop/upgrade.php?action=mobile

Who's eligible to upgrade to TomTom MOBILE 5?
All owners of TomTom MOBILE with a valid product code (this is printed on the credit-card-sized product code card which came with your TomTom MOBILE navigation product)
What will I get when I upgrade to TomTom MOBILE 5?
You'll get a pack including MOBILE 5 software and an updated regional map preinstalled on a memory card. This regional map corresponds to the map region from your initial purchase

What will it cost!
It costs € 79 (excluding shipping costs) for a complete upgrade of software including your regional map

How can I upgrade?
On the next page you can enter your product code (the 15-letter code on the credit card). This code will give you the right to order the upgrade in our online web shop. You do NOT need to send us your old memory card as this does not give you the right to order the upgrade

Can I change my memory card type?
It will be possible to choose the memory card type – RS-MMC, MMC or mini SD. When purchasing your upgrade you will be asked to select from a range of compatible and supported devices and we will automatically select the appropriate memory card for your phone

Is my smartphone supported for the upgrade to MOBILE 5?
The following smartphones are supported for the upgrade to MOBILE 5:

Motorola MPx 220
Nokia 6260 6600 6670 7610 7710
Orange SPV-C500 SPV-E200
Qtek 8060 8080
How long will it take before I receive my order?
We will be working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to make sure your upgrade arrives as soon as possible. However, please allow a maximum of 5 weeks for delivery
Can I swap my current GPS receiver for the new one?
No, a GPS receiver upgrade is not included in this upgrade offer however the new MOBILE 5 software and maps will work with your existing GPS receiver

price for update is 79.00 euros
88.95 euros with postage

So it looks like they won`t be doing a software only free update, which i suppose in oneway those with pirate copys will be out of the picture for a while

but it would have been nice to to play with software only before purchasing the update

using TomTom & CoPilot

Pocketgpsworld iphone cameralert app
Sun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been toying with the idea of buying Mobile and then getting the upgrade to 5 but bearing in mind I'd have to keep the chunkier GPS unit I think I'll hold off and buy 5 outright. The new GPS unit looks luuurverly and small.

I've been looking everyday since 1st April and I'll post as soon as I see a purchase price, maybe everyone else could do the same?

Cheers
babybob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that price has made me think twice about upgrading.

I was expecting around £25 which was I think around the price for other past updates to the pocketpc etc.

Paying almost a 1/3 of the price I paid TomTom mobile, which has only been around for about and year and had lots of features missing compared the pocketpc version, seems a bit steep.

Also I much rather download it than pay for an SD card I wont ever use once copied off onto a bigger one.

What does everyone else think? Am I just a penny pincher

Babybob
gstenson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's extortionate. I only had TTM for about a month before they announced TTMv5 and now they want another €79 for the upgrade! Don't think I will bother...not a happy bunny Evil or Very Mad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget this adds full UK PostCode Support, new map data and all the other features of v5. It's a shame that they've seen fit not to make a download option available but this may be because the previous version was so widely pirated.

For the new map data alone, Euro 79 is a reasonable fee given the cost of the licence plus the Ordnance Survey royalty for the Post Code data. It's a much better application in v5 and well worth upgrading to and it now properly supports any NMEA GPS.
gstenson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK fair enough for the updated maps. Wonder why they could not provide a download and then email a license key to authorise it once you have got the files. The way they are proposing is to take anything up to 5 weeks! With delivery this upgrade amounts to ~£60 and considering TTM was £160 I think this is a little expensive and its only about 12 months old!
gstenson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually you also stated in the TTMv5 review:

Upgrades
TomTom announced to the PocketGPSWorld.com team at CeBit that the upgrade for existing Mobile customers would be free of charge. However no official statement has been made in form of a press release, so please do not accept this as cast in stone.

I know you are only going on what they told you but this does seem a little unfair.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was what we were told. It is unfair if you had no intention of buying the new map data but the majority would even if the app was a free download.

I don't know why they've chosen to roll it out in this way but strongly suspect that the wide spread piracy of the original version is to blame. For every user on this forum asking how to bond a non-TomTom BT GPS to use Mobile its not unreasonable to deduce the majority have a pirated copy.

The PPC upgrade has not been announced yet and it may well be the same process for them, we'll have to wait and see.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gstenson wrote:
OK fair enough for the updated maps. Wonder why they could not provide a download and then email a license key to authorise it once you have got the files. The way they are proposing is to take anything up to 5 weeks! With delivery this upgrade amounts to ~£60 and considering TTM was £160 I think this is a little expensive and its only about 12 months old!

But £60 is very cheap for a map! Add the fact that this also adds PostCode data and the application upgrade and its a good deal, you also get a memory card although I appreciate not all will need or want this. Of the £160 you paid for the bundle at least £90 of that was for the application/map.

I'm not defending TomTom but they are the only one of their competitors who offer these upgrades at all, others expect you to pay full price for a version upgrade.
flasher
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes would have been nice to have downloaded the v5 software and be able to play with the new features before buying the full update.

BUT must admit i`d sooner pay and get the upto date maps with full post code search, but also would have been nice to choose between getting it through the post or as a download

would be interesting to know if they have protected the software a little by having to register it once installed.

using TomTom & CoPilot

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is protected now.
flasher
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
It is protected now.

GOOD , nice to hear

atleast it will protect our investment for a while

using TomTom & CoPilot

gstenson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the protection but it does ask the question why they didn't do it for the first version? To assume that forcing everyone to use their GPS unit was an effective way to secure their software was niave and you would of thought that TT would of learnt from their PPC days.
jayd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i've decided to go with the upgrade but I can only upgrade for my 6600 when i really want to use this on my 6630, do you think it will work if I transfer my files to my 6630 mmc before activation then activate it from there. This is probably the decicive factor in me going for the upgrade and i'm too mpatient to wait for the full release.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't say for certain but it sounds feasible! If this is the deciding factor then you would be advised to confirm with TomTom that this will be possible.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: