Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOPO Mapping Software Advice - Garmin GPSMap 60CS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOPO Mapping Software Advice - Garmin GPSMap 60CS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hussar69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: TOPO Mapping Software Advice - Garmin GPSMap 60CS Reply with quote

I'm looking at buying my first GPS unit & like the functionality and features offered by the Garmin GPSMap 60CS with Europe basemap.

I'd like to be able to upload UK & European topo maps for serious cross country navigation. The Garmin manuals states you can only use MapSource software, but they currently only have US topo software.

Could anyboby recommend what UK topo software can be uploaded & used on this unit.

Many thanks
H69
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't any. Crying or Very sad

The best it can do is to display the OSGB grid reference so you can plan a trip using waypoints.

Although they are not well suited to the outdoors, you are probably better off getting a PDA and one of the topo mapping programs (reviewed on this website) which will display OS maps on the PDA.
Hussar69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Skippy, glad i asked before laying out the cash. Are there any true GPS units which can upload UK Topo maps?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hussar69 wrote:
Thanks Skippy, glad i asked before laying out the cash. Are there any true GPS units which can upload UK Topo maps?

I don't know of any hand-held Garmin GPS units that have UK topo maps and I don't think other manufacturers do an outdoors unit that will accept OS maps. Anyone else know?

The problem is that traditionally, GPS units usually have raster maps which allow them to calculate routes along roads and search for points of interest or road names. If you scan a topo map then you wouldn't get any of this. It would probably involve a lot of work to convert topo maps to raster maps suitable for most GPS units, although it has been done in America and I think there are German topo maps available.

You can get Pocket PCs with GPS receivers built-in but you run into the problem that they aren't waterproof or rugged like the Garmin ones are.

Your best bet might be a Pocket PC, Bluetooth GPS and something like an Otter Box to keep the PPC safe and dry.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: