Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - £300 max to spend - what shall I buy?? Help please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

£300 max to spend - what shall I buy?? Help please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: £300 max to spend - what shall I buy?? Help please Reply with quote

Hi chaps and chapesses (sp?)

Well I have £300 spare and I would like a GPS package. I am completely new to this market - never have a PDA before or GPS.

I am looking at the Acer N35, but the Mio 168 is also in the running - athough it's more expensive. Currently I am thinking of the N35 - and maybe getting TT3 software later on (speed camera database from this webby seems good).

This is where I leave it to you guys - the experienced experts to help me make up my mind. I would use the PDA as a PDA too - so I hope that helps. I don't want to waste my money, but nor do I like getting lost. If not TT3 software as an upgrade - I might try something else - so let me know what you use....and think.

I'l be watching in anticipation.

Herb
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look at total pda they have some good deals on at the moment

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
gune
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi i think acer n35 uses destinator and not tt3 or ttnavigator!! please check! i was earlier doing the same search. but gave up acer due to assumption that it cnnot be used with tt3, and some people are unhappy with destinator.
mio is good except its got no backup battery. so u run the riskof losing the data if it goes flat!
hp ipaq 1710 with tt wired bundle is available@ total pda and @ ebuyer and @ pdaonline competitive prices. lowest i feel is ebuyer. but beware about their customer support!!
u can read about sellers @ selers to avoid bulletin!!
total pda might just squeeze wih in your budget @ ?298.45£ with p.p. after vat!
good luck and keep us posted! Smile
pja8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomtom state on their website that that tt3 is compataible with the acer n35 but as tt5 is just around the corner I would wait to see if tt5 is as well. Also at that point tt3 will become cheap to get rid of the stock.

As for destinator, I agree every day use it may not be the best although I doubt it would let you down, the maps are more up to date than tt3 i.e m6 toll. I use my satnav for weekend use for the family to get to places without the two in front falling out over map directions before the day has even started. Destinator is excellent for this and got me to all my places without any hassle. The voice prompts could be better but as far as i am concerned that is about it. To this day I still have had no issues with roundabouts or route recalculation forcing me for to long to go back to the original route, it just creates a new one very quickly.

I did notice the other day that with rounabouts 2 miles away on A roads it notified me that it was coming up but the voice stated 3 miles. An error yes and a bit of a quirk but to me of no great importance.

£250 it is good value and yes I use the pda for wma, mp3's, reading the odd novel(very cheap way of reading the latest books) and playing the odd game of chess while travelling.
gune
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi pj8 yes i agree with you. but problem is when buying you got to make the decision and classic to be or not to be!
theoritically it should work with tt3 since pocket pc o.s. used. even if not acer one of the big generic machine makers and ms should be able to patch it sooner than later.
sometimes even tt3 when it comes to junctions with colour lights keeps dead silent, which it thinks go straight! i feel it is a way of saving memory space!
Herby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I am gonna spend this cash now before it burns a hole in pocket and I lose it on the street - I see ebuyer sells the Acer N35 with a free case worth £20 at this very moment so in will go my order in a couple of minutes.

What else will I need to get going chaps? What free software is available that will help with all this and what do you recommend. I will buy TT3 when the price comes down later in the year. SD cards are quite cheap nowadays aswell but that can wait. I will keep you guys posted on the developments...

Thanks for your replies so far..

Herby
gune
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: has any one used acer n35 with tom tom 3??? Reply with quote

hi pj8, hi all, Smile
yes i checked the tt site. after several rounds i found acer n 35 is compatible with tt3. Confused though initial search of the site only showed the tt5.
now the real issue is whether some one out there has used the acer n35 and tt3 together?? Rolling Eyes
Herby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I shold be getting my N35 tomorrow - being my first PDA, it will probably take a while to sort it out. Just on an off note - I work in the RAF on Harriers - did many of you guys know that we fit IPAQs to them - apparently further target details can be sent to them during missions etc... Not sure what model it is though - and it is bastardised a bit to make it fit/work properly.

I will keep you informed on the N35 - see if its any good.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: