Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Version 5 eta and prices etc
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Version 5 eta and prices etc
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Version 5 eta and prices etc Reply with quote

Does anyone have any idea's on when we are likely to see version 5 being shipped, also any updates on the upgrade fee?

In the meantime TOMTOM must be loosing out on sales of their products while both new users and existing users are waiting. How can they afford to keep us waiting for so long?
Jigsaw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suggestion is more news on the update this week, no idea on shipping, but I'd guess it'll follow on soon after.
ABeeBeeSee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

End of May, according to TT website
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really undecided about whether or not to upgrade from 3 to 5.
On the upside, I like the idea of being able to get 'bit of Europe' maps eg. just Iberia or just Germany.
Also updated UK maps will be nice.
On the downside I understand that we can no longer 'go to' locations by lat/long (and thus, also, from OS map ref via the excellent Add On - "OS GPS Convertor") a function I use an awful lot.
What to do?
Help.
Roger
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully these third party applications will start to appear for version 5. TomTom are lagging behind with the SDK but it will be out eventually, then all the developers can take advantage of the common platform and produce add-ons for all flavours of TomTom 5.

No dates hinted at yet though.
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also remember that the first version may well have limitations/bugs. Remember the problems with version 3 when it first came out!
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerfrit wrote:
I am really undecided about whether or not to upgrade from 3 to 5.
On the upside, I like the idea of being able to get 'bit of Europe' maps eg. just Iberia or just Germany.
Also updated UK maps will be nice.
On the downside I understand that we can no longer 'go to' locations by lat/long (and thus, also, from OS map ref via the excellent Add On - "OS GPS Convertor") a function I use an awful lot.
What to do?
Help.
Roger

Before upgrading to Pda version 5 Confused I should like to see a full comparison list with gains on one side and the losses on the other ..How about it PGPSW Team Question Question
Dave
amcluesent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>How about it PGPSW Team<

Unlikely, some members of the team seem to be of the 'hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil' mind-set regarding TomTom's unusual approach to customer service and product 'development'.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amcluesent wrote:

Unlikely, some members of the team seem to be of the 'hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil' mind-set regarding TomTom's unusual approach to customer service and product 'development'.

Interesting comment.

We did this already for previous versions if you hadnt noticed between the US versions for TomTom here.

As for the "no evil, see no evil, speak no evil' mind-set " we feel that we represent a balanced view. TomTom is no worse than the other navigation software companies. Or indeed a lot of other companies in the IT market.

If you are unhappy with what we do and the way we do it, on an unpaid hobby basis, fitting it in with jobs that earn us money so that we can do this, then you are quite welcome to start your own review site and forum at which point you will realise how much effort is involved. We are the first to admit that we are not perfect, but we do the best that we can.

Last edited by MikeB on Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amcluesent wrote:

Are you reading a different site from me? Some of the staff have been quite critical about TomTom's lack of customer service.
spvc500man
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom seem to be very hit and miss on customer services. I have had some good and not so good encounters with their customer services, but my mate who bought the HP package, did not receive a magnetic base for the wired GPS unit, in his package, and tomtom sent one out no problem. I think it seems to be a case of who answers the email ,as to how good the service is. I just hope that the upgrade is free, as it is for the go users, but mobile users are being charged, so it seems to me, that if you have a go unit, you will be looked after, but any other unit, you will have to pay. This I feel is very unfair, as at the end of the day they are all tomtom items, doing the same thing. Yes the mobile version is going on a device that is also able to be used for other things such as a phone call, and the Navigator versions are being installed on PDA's, but the product you are buying is tomtom's own product. I know to buy, Navigator and Mobile5 are just software products, with a GPS unit as well, but the go product is the same thing housed in a all in one unit, so the difference in price is mainly the fact one is software, the other is all in one unit.
Jigsaw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to get drawn into the what people think of Tom Tom, but a comparison of features added and removed between 3 and 5 would be great. Tom Tom confirmed that navigate to co-ordinates had been removed (A major issue for me) but would not tell me what other changes had been made. Is there any chance of a comparision?

BTW Keep up the good work guys, there are loads of people out here who like what you're doing.

Gordon
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spvc500man wrote:
Tomtom seem to be very hit and miss on customer services. I have had some good and not so good encounters with their customer services, but my mate who bought the HP package, did not receive a magnetic base for the wired GPS unit, in his package, and tomtom sent one out no problem. I think it seems to be a case of who answers the email ,as to how good the service is. I just hope that the upgrade is free, as it is for the go users, but mobile users are being charged, so it seems to me, that if you have a go unit, you will be looked after, but any other unit, you will have to pay. This I feel is very unfair, as at the end of the day they are all tomtom items, doing the same thing. Yes the mobile version is going on a device that is also able to be used for other things such as a phone call, and the Navigator versions are being installed on PDA's, but the product you are buying is tomtom's own product. I know to buy, Navigator and Mobile5 are just software products, with a GPS unit as well, but the go product is the same thing housed in a all in one unit, so the difference in price is mainly the fact one is software, the other is all in one unit.

You are missing something here. The TomTom GO upgrade does not include maps, which will have to be paid for at a later date. The mobile upgrade does include maps which is why it costs money.

The TomTom Navigator upgrade will include maps as far as I know.
spvc500man
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I though the whole idea of the new version, was that as new updated maps came along, you could upgrade to the newer map, so as getting the latest data as you could. So does that mean, if you have a go unit, then you will have to pay to get newer versions of maps every time they come out, and if you have the PDA type, you will get them for free, or will every one get them free or have to pay. Some kind of consistancy needs to take place here, as this was the whole idea behind version 5, to get everyone using the same version. The removing direct to co-ordinates feature would also be a problem for me too, but not a major one, but why remove a feature such as this, but add silly voices or such. The whole idea of GPS is to be able to locate a place or position you need to get to, not be able to hear someting like Daffy duck give you the instructions.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all map updates have always been charged for - regardless of version and platform . And will continue to be so as tomtom have to pay for the updated map data from teleatlas.

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: