Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cheapest place for software only?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheapest place for software only?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve_D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Cheapest place for software only? Reply with quote

I have just bought a pocket loox and will get a emtac this week. So .... time for software.

Where is the cheapest place to get TomTom software? I want to get UK, France and Holland. I want the citymaps and route planner. I saw Europe maps for £130 on navcity but it indicated I needed the base software first.

Can I buy the whole lot as a package?

Steve.
Steve_D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Cheapest place for software only? Reply with quote

I just saw route-planner for Europe on tomtom.com for 59 euros .... what's the story there?
mountain
Occasional Visitor

Quote: Originally posted by Steve_D on 21 April 2003

I just saw route-planner for Europe on tomtom.com for 59 euros .... what's the story there?

Read the review here

Piers
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Routeplanner only caters for major roads, it's no good if you want to travel around a city.
Steve_D
Occasional Visitor

I understand the difference but why would navcity charge £130 for something you can get for 59 euros at the manufactures website. I must be missing something.

As far as I can see you can get TomTom CityMaps Europe for 59.95, TomTom RoutePlanner for 59.95 and it's job done for all Western Europe.

Is this correct? Or will the 59.95 only give me a limited number of countries?
mountain
Occasional Visitor

Navcity are selling TomTom Navigator maps for the whole of Europe which is completely different software from Routeplanner.

TomTom sell the Navigator Europe maps for 189 Euros on their site (except they've run out and are due to get more in this week).

Navigator is a much more comprehensive and useful piece of software than Routeplanner which is a few years old now.

The Routeplanner/Citymaps combo is not ideal as you have to load the citymaps of all the towns you are going to on your trip before hand.

With Navigator it is possible to have maps for whole countries installed which go down to street level. Also Navigator automatically re-routes if you deviate from your route, has spoken instructions plus a load of other features that Routeplanner doesn't have.

Routeplanner does have the advantage of being able to navigate between European countries though.

It is worth reading the reviews on this site to find out the differences in features between Navigator and Routeplanner

Piers

Steve_D
Occasional Visitor

s**t, I just got back from reading the tomtom site properly, and now your post Piers confirms it. I thought Navigator 2 was just the name for the package (software and gps) and route planner was the stand alone. Ah well, in for a penny, in for a pound. I wondered why people kept on telling me £100 was too little for software when I was doing my calcuations.

I guess RTFM comes to mind :-(

Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: